Polite is a bust

9 minutes ago, EM31 said:

I will be very happy if Polite turns out to be a good pick (or even solid pick for that matter).  Certainly there may be medical/fitness reasons which would explain a slow start.

But with that said....

Pass rushers who are eventually going to make a big impression in this league are very often making those impressions/ making an impact from day one of training camp... Like... Well like John Abraham or like Quinnen Williams for example.

On the other hand I have frequently seen this pattern: "it's way too early to talk about this (Kick, ban, ridicule)", "it's way too early",  "It's too early", "it's still to early...", "haven't we discussed this to death already?"

• The Boar Hunter
  • Hackenberg
  • Geno Smith
  • (Amongst many, many, many others)

So yes it is probably too early to cut him and eviscerate Macc some more, but no, it is not too early to take notice of a slow start.

You realize he had 3 sacks today? Is that considered a slow start? 

Either way, I really appreciate you holding off on signing the petition to cut a rookie before his first pre-season game. 

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, 14 in Green said:

I’ll be the last guy to make a Polite is a bust comment. If you look in the Draft day thread, I was calling for the Jets to take him, and actually predicted the spot where we would take him (3rd round pick) during the second round.

I still think he’s going to be a good player for us, but  I have to be honest. I don’t like that he’s been playing with, and making these “sacks” against 2nd and 3rd string players. In fact I’ve noticed from the tweets from camp almost every play he’s made has come when lined up against Eric Smith.

Bro he has to perform wherever he gets the reps . About a week ago he wasnt even getting 2nd team reps . 

11 minutes ago, EM31 said:

I will be very happy if Polite turns out to be a good pick (or even solid pick for that matter).  Certainly there may be medical/fitness reasons which would explain a slow start.

But with that said....

Pass rushers who are eventually going to make a big impression in this league are very often making those impressions/ making an impact from day one of training camp... Like... Well like John Abraham or like Quinnen Williams for example.

On the other hand I have frequently seen this pattern: "it's way too early to talk about this (Kick, ban, ridicule)", "it's way too early",  "It's too early", "it's still to early...", "haven't we discussed this to death already?"

• The Boar Hunter
  • Hackenberg
  • Geno Smith

So yes it is probably too early to cut him and eviscerate Macc some more, but no, it is not too early to take notice of a slow start.

Not really,  Pass rushers typically are slow to transition.   Abraham himself played 6 games his rookie season.  Didnt start a single game.  Had 4 sacks.  14 tackles.  And there are probably 10x more examples of that than there is a guy coming into the league on fire. 

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 1

On 8/2/2019 at 11:25 PM, T0mShane said:

--One year of college production

--Played at a reported, undersized 230 pounds

--Showed up to the Combine fat

--Made excuses for said fat

--Blamed mysterious, unnamed advisor for fat

--Runs a 4.84/40 at Combine

--Jumps a Bill Wennington-esque 31" at the Combine

--His position coach implied he was an unserious douche

--Showed up to his Pro Day--a full month later--even fatter

--Ran a glacial 5.01/40 at Pro Day

--Blames poor 40 on mysterious hamstring injury incurred, allegedly, five weeks earlier

--Despite league-wide bloodlust need for pass rushers, drops to the bottom of the third round

--Goes through two full weeks of camp entirely incapable of rushing the passer, even in drills, despite going against second- and third-team tackles.

--Gets passed over in camp for reps by superstuds Frank Luvu and Harvey Langi 

Other than some YouTube highlights, what's the positive case for Polite? That he was drafted by Mike Maccagnan (who also drafted similarly unathletic pass rushers Dylan Donahue and Lorenzo Mauldin)?

This is ******* typical @T0mShane bullsh*t.  Polite didn't drop to the bottom of the third round.  They took him with the ******* 4th pick in the round!  

• Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 1

9 minutes ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

You realize he had 3 sacks today? Is that considered a slow start? 

Either way, I really appreciate you holding off on signing the petition to cut a rookie before his first pre-season game. 

Or that naming 4 whole draft picks that never developed I've the past 15 years is comical at best?  Apparently trying to make a point about draft picks

42 minutes ago, JiF said:

It's the 3rd week of his professional career.  I believe he's just now getting down to the weight he wanted to be at.  He probably just figured out where the cafeteria is.  Polite might end up being a bust but acting like we can make that determination right now is simply ridiculous, no offense.

No, I understand where you’re coming from here, and I’m not concerned that the kid will bust, I think he’ll be fine. Unfortunately we are in dire need of this kid’s talents right now.

I probably didn’t explain it well, but my concern is more with the position he plays. We are so bad there, we need this kid to show out. That’s not fair to him, I know, but he is going to be in the spot light because of where this team is talent wise on the edge.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, 14 in Green said:

I’ll be the last guy to make a Polite is a bust comment. If you look in the Draft day thread, I was calling for the Jets to take him, and actually predicted the spot where we would take him (3rd round pick) during the second round.

I still think he’s going to be a good player for us, but  I have to be honest. I don’t like that he’s been playing with, and making these “sacks” against 2nd and 3rd string players. In fact I’ve noticed from the tweets from camp almost every play he’s made has come when lined up against Eric Smith.

1st you build up their confidence then you let them take on the #1 OL. Some guys rise to a challenge (Darnold), others need to be brought along slowly. Let's hope by the end of camp Polite can be a positive situational pass rusher for us.

• Upvote 2

18 hours ago, Matt39 said:

https://www.espn.com/blog/new-york-jets/post/_/id/80488/new-coaches-new-mindset-for-new-york-jets-all-gas-no-brakes

5. Early training-camp awards:

• Mike Maccagnan draft pick who should be worried about his roster spot -- RB Trenton Cannon

• Possible surprise cut -- RB Bilal Powell

Obviously Cimini missed on Jeremy Clark

20 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

I went to a university for learned doctors. We didn’t compete for Heismans, we competed for Nobels.

More like Knoebels. 

3 minutes ago, JiF said:

Talk to me when you university creates the worlds great sports drink. 

So, you aren't going to talk to Shane unless someone from SUNY Purchase invented Propel

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, JiF said:

Not really,  Pass rushers typically are slow to transition.   Abraham himself played 6 games his rookie season.  Didnt start a single game.  Had 4 sacks.  14 tackles.  And there are probably 10x more examples of that than there is a guy coming into the league on fire. 

Abraham was obviously a bust. Because these guys know what they're talking about.... ur, well. Not.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, EM31 said:

But with that said....

• The Boar Hunter
  • Hackenberg
  • Geno Smith

Even for those guys we at least waited for the preseason games!

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, JiF said:

It's the 3rd week of his professional career.  I believe he's just now getting down to the weight he wanted to be at.  He probably just figured out where the cafeteria is.  Polite might end up being a bust but acting like we can make that determination right now is simply ridiculous, no offense.

This. 

Transitioning to the NFL isn't easy, and Polite's absolutely disastrous combine might suggest that it will be a little more of an uphill battle for him. I'm encouraged that he's gone from what looked like the doghouse to making plays with the second team. Not a bad amount of progress for the kid. 

He needs to spend the year eating right and working with the strength coaches. If he makes some situational plays this year, I'll be pleased. Like to see him competing for a starting job next year. 

• Sympathy 1