Will Douglas get a starting corner?

NYJ1

First of all, I need to say how shocked I am that Joe Douglas actually identified a real weakness on the OL and actually did something about it this late in the offseason. This is in stark contrast to every other GM I've seen the Jets employ since Parcells. I don't want to go into all the examples over the years, but every GM the Jets have had in the past would see a major weakness on the team and more often than not choose to do nothing about it. It's irked me to no end. To me that indicated a GM that was content to live with deficiencies. It's those deficiencies that have cost the Jets going to the SB for over 50 years.

So it begs the question.....

Have we finally found a GM that actually EXCELS at his job? But I digress...

Center was not the only enormous weakness on this team. Corner is also an equally obvious and major weakness as Center IMO. I wonder if Douglas will actually do something about it? Don't get me wrong, I don't blame Douglas if he can't get anything done. He inherited Mac's sh*t show. But will he do something about it in order to give this team a fighting chance at the playoffs?

I keep thinking bringing back Mo Claiborne in the fifth week might be his only option?

What do you think? 

• Upvote 3
  • Thumb Down 1
  • Sympathy 1

I think we definitely found the right GM. Obviously we need to see the results and the Lombardi trophy, but Joe Douglas is the guy.

I think we stay away from Claiborne. Daryl Roberts had a better season than Claiborne last year. I think we wait out the August cuts and go from there. 

Possibly trade a late rounder for one but it really all depends on Greg Williams comfort level as camp continues.

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

I don’t know if he’ll find a cb but at least i know he’s looking and trust he’ll get one if he can. I do have hope that one of the young guys will develop. I always thought Nickerson would be good, maybe he will emerge. Anyway if Gregg Williams can improve the pass rush the corners will get a lot better without getting anyone new. 

• Upvote 2

30 minutes ago, NYJ1 said:

First of all, I need to say how shocked I am that Joe Douglas actually identified a real weakness on the OL and actually did something about it this late in the offseason. This is in stark contrast to every other GM I've seen the Jets employ since Parcells. I don't want to go into all the examples over the years, but every GM the Jets have had in the past would see a major weakness on the team and more often than not choose to do nothing about it. It's irked me to no end. To me that indicated a GM that was content to live with deficiencies. It's those deficiencies that have cost the Jets going to the SB for over 50 years.

Center was not the only enormous weakness on this team. Corner is also an equally obvious and major weakness as Center IMO. I wonder if Douglas will actually do something about it? Don't get me wrong, I don't blame Douglas if he can't get anything done. He inherited Mac's sh*t show. But will he do something about it in order to give this team a fighting chance at the playoffs?

I keep thinking bringing back Mo Claiborne in the fifth week might be his only option?

What do you think? 

Im hearing that Ryan Kalil also plays some cornerback. Yep were all set! You don't mess with Big Joe Douglas!

2 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

I don’t think good teams trade for guys like Trae Waynes. I get that fans are excited about training camp, but I don’t think the coach or GM really thinks the team is competing for a title this year. It’s infinitely smarter to let the young guys sink or swim this season than it’d be to bury them on the bench in favor of expensive, marginal veterans. I think Kalil was an exception to this solely because he directly helps the development of Darnold, which should be the entire focus of the next twelve months.

Don’t always agree with your opinions but on this One I do. Also signing Kalil only cost money no assets. Too me this is huge depth was improved without sacrificing depth at other positions or draft picks. Short term fix but a needed one.

• Upvote 3

I wouldn't trade any significant picks.  Darnold was a move we had to make but we still had to Gove up 3 2nd rounders which is significant.  This team is probably gonna be better and BOTH Macc and Douglas deserve credit.  However I think Douglas wants all of our picks for his first draft

• Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

I don’t think good teams trade for guys like Trae Waynes. I get that fans are excited about training camp, but I don’t think the coach or GM really thinks the team is competing for a title this year. It’s infinitely smarter to let the young guys sink or swim this season than it’d be to bury them on the bench in favor of expensive, marginal veterans. I think Kalil was an exception to this solely because he directly helps the development of Darnold, which should be the entire focus of the next twelve months.

I very much agree with that theory, however I think this is a different situation. Let the young guys compete and if there's a guy that truly rises to the occasion then that's our guy. But the Jets also have a serious lack of pass rush. Jachai Polite is apparently not doing well at all. If the pass rush remains a weakness it could exacerbate an already bad situation. Getting a veteran corner could serve as a stop gap and allow the youngsters to develop under more ideal situations rather than simply throwing a young guy to the wolves and tell him to sink or swim.

1 minute ago, NYJ1 said:

I very much agree with that theory, however I think this is a different situation. Let the young guys compete and if there's a guy that truly rises to the occasion then that's our guy. But the Jets also have a serious lack of pass rush. Jachai Polite is apparently not doing well at all. If the pass rush remains a weakness it could exacerbate an already bad situation. Getting a veteran corner could serve as a stop gap and allow the youngsters to develop under more ideal situations rather than simply throwing a young guy to the wolves and tell him to sink or swim.

Youngsters don’t develop on the bench, and if the youngsters aren’t developing, then where is the “stop gap” leading you to? 

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1
  • Post of the Week 1

I think he’ll add another body at the August cuts only because it’ll become  obvious by then that the current bunch just won’t cut it.

Pass rushers is another area that’s still a big question mark as well. 

Yes, this team still has many holes to fill but at least they are trending in the right direction, upwards.

A sound Darnold makes all the blemishes go away!

• Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Youngsters don’t develop on the bench, and if the youngsters aren’t developing, then where is the “stop gap” leading you to? 

No they don't, but you can still create more of an ideal situations under which they can learn. Throwing a youngster out there with no pass rush to alleviate some of the time under which he needs to hold coverage is not a confidence builder. The youngsters get playing time anyway even though they are not starting. It provides Gregg Williams with more options.

And who exactly are the young corners on this team that you feel are ready to start? I don't see any besides Nickerson and I still believe he needs a little more development time.

34 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

I'm on this site every day religiously. I don't post much but I love to read the posts and keep up with what's going on. Half of the posts will piss me off and the other half will just make me piss. Very funny stuff. This might be the single most sensible posts that I've read this year. Let's take into account what we're trying to accomplish this year and where we want to be on a consistent basis. This post is 100 % on the money. Thanks TOmShane

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 2

44 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Yep. Center wasn’t only about trying to strive but also keeping the ginger king alive. 

• Upvote 4
  • Sympathy 1

Douglas brought in Montrel Meander from Cleveland a while back. I'm thinking Gregg saw something in him and pushed forbthis signing which makes me think he must be at least serviceable. Jones and Nickerson can play also I've seen it with my own eyes. 

1 hour ago, NYJ1 said:

What do you think? 

So many people just write off tj it's stupid... He had a down year and only played 10 games. So many armchair gms...

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

14 minutes ago, Skeptable said:

So many people just write off tj it's stupid... He had a down year and only played 10 games. So many armchair gms...

Agreed. And we have decent depth. Roberts, Jones, Nickerson, Brown, Meander, and Even Austin when healthy can play. Am I the only one who thinks we gave up on J. Burris too soon? I thought that kid was decent just playing for the worst coordinators and eyes for talent in the NFL at the time.

1 hour ago, TNJet said:

Agreed. I expect Derrick Jones to end up playing well though. Kids got talent and played college in the SEC.

And considering he was a WR and CB for a while and didn’t start fully at CB till senior year, could be a player still on the rise. Great size and athleticism, that pick 6 in college still stands out. Have to imagine as a part time WR he’s got great ball skills. Would be nice to hit on one of these guys. 

• Upvote 3

3 minutes ago, TNJet said:

Am I the only one who thinks we gave up on J. Burris too soon? I thought that kid was decent just playing for the worst coordinators and eyes for talent in the NFL at the time.

No you’re not the only one. He looked pretty good his rookie season and for whatever reason they soured in him and he was gone. Way too soon. 

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, TNJet said:

Agreed. And we have decent depth. Roberts, Jones, Nickerson, Brown, Meander, and Even Austin when healthy can play. Am I the only one who thinks we gave up on J. Burris too soon? I thought that kid was decent just playing for the worst coordinators and eyes for talent in the NFL at the time.

This is where I start to disagree. I do think Tru will bounce back being coached the correct way and finally and hopefully being healthy. 

I don’t think we need to bring in a splash signing and throw even more money at the CB position this year. However, we do need to bring in if not 1 but 2 quality depth guys that can help this team. There are just too many injuries to defensive backs to think we have enough at the moment. I mean Daryl Roberts played safety last year for crying out loud. There will be an injury in the CB room this year no doubt. Weather it’s Tru, Roberts, Poole or Nickerson and that’s when our real depth will be tested. 

Burris was a JAG who played occasionally good man to man defense but not nearly as consistent to say we gave up on him. 

• WTF? 1

25 minutes ago, DJF71 said:

If only we would have drafted a pass rusher instead of another freakin' DT.

QW will help Leo, which will help the edge rushers, which will help Adams & Mosely blitz which will get Sam the ball back, which allows us to score points, which allows GW to blitz more which helps the edge rushers & finally the CBs who will take more chances. Everything gets easier when you score points. AGRESSIVE is the word for the 2019 New York Jets. 

Instead of being these passive pussies letting teams punch Sam in the mouth we'll be throwing the 1st haymakers finally & then have the stamina to keep attacking in the 4th quarter. You can already see the difference in players in camp. They came into camp in the best shape of their careers, because their careers are on the line with big Joe Douglas watching. Huge attitude adjustment going on in Florham Park & it was long overdue but Sam made it all worth the agony. 

• Post of the Week 1

It is really nice to be in a situation where the GM is not married to any players. Guys are going to make the 53 on merit.

Agree this isn’t the time to make a big trade for a corner. If there’s an opportunity to flip a guy who won’t make the 53 at a position of depth for a corner who won’t make another roster around cutdown time I could see that happening.

• Upvote 1