Cliff Branch Raiders legend dead at 71

Cliff Branch, Raiders legend, dead at 71

By Associated Press

August 4, 2019 | 10:50am

Enlarge Image
Cliff Branch
Cliff BranchAP

Cliff Branch, one of the Raiders’ career-leading receivers who won three Super Bowls, has died. He was 71.

Police in Bullhead City, Arizona, say Branch was found dead in a hotel room Saturday. They say an initial investigation revealed no foul play and that Branch died of natural causes.

One of the game’s top deep threats during his 14 NFL seasons in Oakland and Los Angeles, Branch was an All-Pro three straight seasons (1974-76) and made four Pro Bowls. He scored 67 touchdowns through the air, leading the NFL in TD receptions in 1974 with 13 and in 1076 with 12. Branch also had a league-high 1,092 yards receiving in 1974.

Branch was a force in the postseason, with 1,289 yards receiving.

In 1983, he tied the NFL record with a 99-yard touchdown catch in a regular-season game. He stands third among Raiders pass catchers in yards receiving with 8,685, trailing Tim Brown and Fred Biletnikoff — both Hall of Famers.

“Cliff Branch touched the lives of generations of Raiders fans,” the Raiders said in a statement on their website. “His loss leaves an eternal void for the Raiders Family, but his kindness and loving nature will be fondly remembered forever.”

• Upvote 1

His build is very similar Robbie A. I think RA has a huge breakout season with adding Bell, Crowder, a healthy Quincy & Herndon in his 2nd season. 

Teams can't run under Robbie with a safety with all those other weapons out there. Robbie was performing some nice out routes before Q got hurt.

• Thumb Down 1

3 hours ago, Jetster said:

His build is very similar Robbie A. I think RA has a huge breakout season with adding Bell, Crowder, a healthy Quincy & Herndon in his 2nd season. 

Teams can't run under Robbie with a safety with all those other weapons out there. Robbie was performing some nice out routes before Q got hurt.

Please don't mention Branch in the same sentence as robbie. 

Oh, and phuck the Raiders.

1 hour ago, Thai Jet said:

Agreed Reminds you that no one is getting out of here alive.  :rip:

And everyone dies alone. 

Dudes in the late 80s or 90s fine. Or kids in the 20-30-40s due to an accident or medical issue or drugs, not fine but ok it’s going to happen. 

But 70 is the new 55 and 71 year old dudes should not be dying but who knows why and what football did to them. 

Its just so weird seeing a guy I firmly remember die. 

Players in their prime 1970s or 1980s, just feels different. 

• Upvote 1

19 hours ago, Peace Frog said:

And everyone dies alone. 

Dudes in the late 80s or 90s fine. Or kids in the 20-30-40s due to an accident or medical issue or drugs, not fine but ok it’s going to happen. 

But 70 is the new 55 and 71 year old dudes should not be dying but who knows why and what football did to them. 

Its just so weird seeing a guy I firmly remember die. 

Players in their prime 1970s or 1980s, just feels different. 

If I'm not healthy just take me.