Jets Claim S Godwin Igwebuike, Waive CB Jeremy Clark

The Jets have claimed S Godwin Igwebuike and waived CB Jeremy Clark.

Igwebuike was released by the Eagles Saturday after spending the spring with Philadelphia. Originally an undrafted free agent, the Northwestern product played in a combined six games with the Buccaneers and 49ers in 2018. The 6’0”, 212-pounder recorded 324 tackles, 12.4 tackles for loss, seven interceptions and 23 pass defenses with the Wildcats.

Clark, a sixth-round pick in 2017, spent almost all of last season on the Jets’ practice squad. The Michigan product appeared in two games over the last two seasons.

https://www.newyorkjets.com/news/jets-claim-s-godwin-igwebuike-waive-cb-jeremy-clark

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

1 hour ago, mrcoops said:

I always hoped Clark would become something. Intriguing size/speed combo, but too often banged up.

decent size for leveling receivers

5 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

With those attributes, they should try to make him a corner. Could be he’s just not instinctive enough to play safety.

1 minute ago, JiF said:

Oh wow.  This means he'll be great.  Cant wait to hear about all the practices he's about to dominate.   

Really good athletes CAN be good at what they do, but there are no guarantees.

Bad athletes almost never are good at what they do (I.E. Lorenzo Mauldin).

Give me the really good athletes every time. 

1 minute ago, JiF said:

Oh wow.  This means he'll be great.  Cant wait to hear about all the practices he's about to dominate.  

Darnold is completing roughly 97% of his downfield passes in camp. Maybe Joe Douglas wants to see if adding an athletic safety will slow him down.

• Upvote 1

Ah Jeremy Clark.  He was Blessaun Austin, before Blessaun Austin!

14 hours ago, T0mShane said:

With those attributes, they should try to make him a corner. Could be he’s just not instinctive enough to play safety.

Some  teams do have a CB "system" where they feel like they can plug guys in and train them.  The Seahawks in particular.  That is why many of the draft books saw Derrick Jones going despite his lack of college production or experience at CB.  If Bowles had such a system, it didn't work with Burris, Jones or Clark.  This guy probably isn't long enough to see him at CB.  His wingspan is decent, so maybe, but his arm length is well below what they are usually looking for.  Good shuttle times, so he may do well in the slot. 

Some of these defenses are looking for safeties that can man-up in the slot, rather than  play centerfield.  Guys like Antonio Allen are easier to find than Ed Reed and can still be used to disguise things effectively.

• Upvote 1

17 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Yet you make fun of someone for being excited about our new GM acquiring a player with some athleticism?  Makes sense. 

You're right 80.   I shouldnt have mocked Tom Shane for being excited about signing an athletic player to potentially make the NY Jets Football team.  Sorry @T0mShane

It is exciting news.  And I hope he has great success with our favorite football team.

• Haha 1