Here we go again: Andrew Luck dealing with another injury

QB is the most protected position in the game by far, yet this guy keeps dealing with injuries of all kinds of varieties.  He's missed 26 games since 2015.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000001038992/article/colts-andrew-luck-thinks-he-will-be-ready-for-week-1

Colts' Andrew Luck thinks he will be ready for Week 1

• 0ap1000000236552.jpg
  • By Kevin Patra
  • Around the NFL Writer
  • Published: Aug. 5, 2019 at 07:52 a.m.
  • Updated: Aug. 5, 2019 at 08:34 a.m.

Andrew Luck continues to sit out practices due to a nagging calf injury.

The issue has been lingering for three months and doesn't have a timetable that might suggest when he will be healthy enough to return to practice. Despite the amorphous timeline, the signal-caller isn't fretting. Luck told Peter King for his Football Morning in America column on Sunday he's not concerned about being ready for Week 1.

"No," Luck told King when asked if he was worried about not being ready for the season opener. "I certainly believe I will [be ready]. That's certainly the goal."

Turning 30 next month, Luck's calf issue isn't nearly as concerning as his previous shoulder issue that wiped out an entire season. But the nagging aspect of the lingering calf problem seems grating.

"At times I do worry about it," Luck told King. "It can be frustrating. The arc of an injury, whether it's a big surgical one or something you're rehabbing through. But no, because I've improved. Maybe I'm not improving as fast as I want and missing things is no fun. It eats at you. But I do know at the end of the day if I'm getting the most out of myself, if I'm being the best I can that day, then that's what I need to do."

Luck will continue to miss practices, and coach Frank Reich said the team didn't know when the starting quarterback might be cleared.

While the uncertainty of the situation hangs over the Colts, Reich said he's not dwelling on Luck's injury because there's little utility in agonizing over something he can't control.

"As a former player and as a coach, it's just always my instinct to trust the player," Reich said. "I really don't lay awake at night thinking about it. When our players have injuries, I'm not the guy who's asking every five minutes how they're doing. That's just the way I am. Part of that is because I think my 14 years of experience as a player ... I know he wants to be there as bad as anybody. Me asking him every five minutes how he's doing doesn't help anything."

We know Luck won't participate in the Colts' preseason tilt this week versus the Buffalo Bills on Thursday. It seems likely he'll be held out of the entire preseason, with Week 1, on Sept. 8 versus the Los Angeles Chargers, being the target date. So long as Luck is back at practice before then and ready for the season opener, all the preseason consternation will be washed away.

11 minutes ago, Ohio State NY Jets fan said:

Survived the first few years in the league with a Mac OL so not surprised there is lingering damage but teams also finally figuring out that having players healthy at the end of season is more important than pushing too hard in pre-season

Dont really see how a calf pull, whatever it is, has to do with the OL from the first few years in the league.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Jet Nut said:

Dont really see how a calf pull, whatever it is, has to do with the OL from the first few years in the league.

Exactly.  Somehow something that has to do with another player from a different team somehow pertains to Macc lol

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

20 minutes ago, More Cowbell said:

And why do we care about Andrew Luck?

I mean is he a keeper on your fantasy team or something.

Seems like the Colts problem. 

+1

Love the use of "we" in the thread title too. :-k

To quote someone "He's like an egg back there".  Not everyone has the body to absorb the abuse of a pro football career.  Luck seems like the kind of guy whose career will be looked back on as a disappointment, I don't think he's going to win any titles, and I don;t think he's going to be able to stay healthy, enough, to be an all-time great.  Sucks, but it happens, as we all well know. 

3 minutes ago, Warfish said:

+1

Love the use of "we" in the thread title too. :-k

To quote someone "He's like an egg back there".  Not everyone has the body to absorb the abuse of a pro football career.  Luck seems like the kind of guy whose career will be looked back on as a disappointment, I don't think he's going to win any titles, and I don;t think he's going to be able to stay healthy, enough, to be an all-time great.  Sucks, but it happens, as we all well know. 

I hear you, but he did come back from a year off because of his throwing shoulder to arguably have the best statistical season of his career. The injuries, though, obviously, are a major concern. This calf thing has been lingering since OTAs, it seems. 

• Upvote 1

He is the poster child for the importance of a good OL. OL was neglected far too long in Indy and Luck’s been breaking down. They have a good OL now...but this is easily one of the top reasons why Mac & Bowles are hated around here.

The OL Mac put in front of Darnold last year was a joke...and Bowles leaving Long in way past expiration date.

• Upvote 3
  • Thumb Down 1

43 minutes ago, Adoni Beast said:

He is the poster child for the importance of a good OL. OL was neglected far too long in Indy and Luck’s been breaking down. They have a good OL now...but this is easily one of the top reasons why Mac & Bowles are hated around here.

The OL Mac put in front of Darnold last year was a joke...and Bowles leaving Long in way past expiration date.

This.  Sure hope Darnold isn't a passenger on the pain train.

1 hour ago, More Cowbell said:

I really dont see why NFL stuff isnt its own folder, seperate from Jets stuff...

I read about NFL stuff too, but I prefer it to be filtered to Jets first...  on a jet website especially...  

mad as hell GIF

• Upvote 2

25 minutes ago, Losmeister said:

I really dont see why NFL stuff isnt its own folder, seperate from Jets stuff...

I read about NFL stuff too, but I prefer it to be filtered to Jets first...  on a jet website especially...  

mad as hell GIF

Yeah, scrolling is hard work.

Pace yourself. Go slowly through the list at first, then increase your pace each day. You don’t want to get hurt.

• Upvote 2

41 minutes ago, 14 in Green said:

Yeah, scrolling is hard work.

Pace yourself. Go slowly through the list at first, then increase your pace each day. You don’t want to get hurt.

No lingering finger injuries that could last into week one of the season.

Scroll hard week 2 and 3 of pre season, then take off week 4, just to be sure.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, More Cowbell said:

It’s a board to talk about the Jets AND the NFL. 

I, for one, appreciate threads about other players, especially the most important player on a team that we’re going to be fighting for for a WC or playoff spot. 

It’s a football board. Not just Jets. 

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, Peace Frog said:

It’s a board to talk about the Jets AND the NFL. 

I, for one, appreciate threads about other players, especially the most important player on a team that we’re going to be fighting for for a WC or playoff spot. 

It’s a football board. Not just Jets. 

That's  not how I look at this site. It's  Jets Nation, not random NFL News Nation. I come here to read about other Jet fans opinions  on the Jets. I frequent other sites and forums  for NFL news (I actually pay for that because it's from a fantasy league service). 

3 minutes ago, More Cowbell said:

That's  not how I look at this site. It's  Jets Nation, not random NFL News Nation. I come here to read about other Jet fans opinions  on the Jets. I frequent other sites and forums  for NFL news (I actually pay for that because it's from a fantasy league service).  

Cool.  Well then use your little mouse device to click on Jets-related threads only rather than b*tch about a forum that clearly states its purpose is to be the place to discuss the Jets AND the NFL:

New York Jets Message Board

Talk about Adam Gase, Joe Douglas, the NY Jets and the NFL here.

So tired of the message board cops around here. 

• Upvote 2

5 minutes ago, More Cowbell said:

Read the Banner

Talk about Adam Gase, Joe Douglas, the NY Jets and the AND THE NFL HERE 

• Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Cool.  Well then use your little mouse device to click on Jets-related threads only rather than b*tch about a forum that clearly states its purpose is to be the place to discuss the Jets AND the NFL:

Talk about Adam Gase, Joe Douglas, the NY Jets and the NFL here.

So tired of the message board cops around here. 

What the actual hell.

If you don’t want to read about Andrew Luck and it says Andrew Luck in the title of the thread, SKIP IT. 

I don’t like video games so I don’t go in the video game thread. 

• Upvote 1

Just now, Peace Frog said:

What the actual hell.

If you don’t want to read about Andrew Luck and it says Andrew Luck in the title of the thread, SKIP IT. 

I don’t like video games so I don’t go in the video game thread.  

Was this meant for me?  I agree with you. 

You guys act like there are 1000s of threads here for god sake. Hell you can scroll down to threads that are weeks old on the same page. Bunch of thread pussies on here.

DON'T FEAR THE THREADS more NFL COWBELL.

• Upvote 1