Jets trade for OL Alex Lewis

Just now, JetsFanatic said:
Sources: Jets have traded for Ravens OL Alex Lewis. ... Jets decided to trade for him before Baltimore out him on waivers.

Well that's certainly... curious.  It has to be something completely insignificant, like a conditional pick based on his making the active roster, for this to make any sense, right?

3 sacks allowed (t-29th) and just 6 penalties (t-13th) on 707 offensive snaps (49th) last season.  Can play G or T.  Only 27.  Not too shabby for a potential depth guy. 

He has an injury history:  Lewis has missed 28 games over the last 3 seasons due to a sprained ankle in '16 (6 games), shoulder injury requiring surgery in '17 (full season - 16), and a neck injury (2) and another shoulder injury requiring more surgery (6) last season. 

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

10 minutes ago, David Harris said:

Especially interesting because the Jets have the 3rd spot on the waiver wire, meaning Douglas could've just claimed him off waivers if Arizona and SF passed on him.  Seems like he's hurt often but was a 4th round pick a few years ago and started 10 games at LG last year.

Douglas attacking the OL every way he can.  I like taking a flier, have to assume its a conditional 7th rounder if he makes the roster.  He did pass a physical prior to release since he's had a bum shoulder.  Young, starting experience at a position where Jets lack depth.  Kick the tires. 

Probably wants to save that waiver wire spot for when the surprise cuts happen after the pre-season games, if I had to guess.

• Upvote 2

12 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

does this speak to the lack of depth on the OL that mccags left?  or is this more bc of quavle's injury?

maybe it also speaks to the quality of the players they currently have.  a lower level trade is okay but getting more bodies isn't necessarily saying anything.  this guy may have ability and may be able to push the guys currently listed as depth.  it's possible he'll even push a guy like winters or even shell.

the biggest problem, imo, is we still won't know what they got until they start playing.  and it takes time for an oline to play together.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, chrisfaceoff said:

1.  I dont like it.

2.  I'm all about trying get the Oline straight, and even though I don't like this move, I like that Joe is prioritizing the position and trying to be proactive instead of reactive.  Curious to see the terms of the deal.

...Why?

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, Scoop24 said:

It’s a conditional 7th rd pick what’s the downside?

If we were talking about Macc or Idzik, I'd agree, but wasn't one of the big points about Joe being able to identify good players throughout the draft?

I'm not saying 'im up in arms about it and to get the pitchforks, but i'm just generally not excited about this move.  At the same time, I will be happy to eat crow if its worth it.

I was reading a bit about him from Baltimore boards and chats and the general consensus form them is he is a good guy, but injury history, and is out of shape.

If this was Mac, i'm pretty sure everyone would be complaining about the move.

• WTF? 1

9 minutes ago, Mogglez said:

Probably wants to save that waiver wire spot for when the surprise cuts happen after the pre-season games, if I had to guess.

5 minutes ago, batmans a scientist said:

I could be wrong, but I don't think the waiver wire works that way. I think the Jets are 3rd for every player until week 3 of the NFL season, then it goes by standings, but it's not like fantasy football where you go to back of the line after claiming a player.

https://operations.nfl.com/updates/the-players/nfl-waiver-system-overview/

This  ^^^^^

Also, from Rotoworld.  Seems like the pick is conditioned on him making the roster:

Jets acquired OG Alex Lewis from the Jets in exchange for a conditional seventh-round pick.

It was reported that the Ravens were waiving Lewis, but they found a trade partner at the last moment. It could still end up a de facto waive, as the Ravens' compensation figures to be contingent on Lewis making the 53-man roster. The move comes four days after the Jets lured C Ryan Kalil out of retirement. Lewis gives the Jets options opposite LG Kelechi Osemele.

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 1

Just now, chrisfaceoff said:

If this was Mac, i'm pretty sure everyone would be complaining about the move.

Damn straight...this board would be going ape sh*t if Macc traded for a guy when the first report was he was released and placed on waivers.

• Upvote 3
  • Thumb Down 2

Just now, SR24 said:

Eh I disagree. We got a guy that started like 10 games last year for a 7th round pick. I’ll take my chances on a guy that’s nfl ready instead of the long shot draft pick any day. Besides we need as much OL help as we can get it’s a massive priority 

I definitely agree.  I'm usually a glass half full kinda person myself.  Not sure why im' not as excited about this as everyone else.

Either way, hes coming.  I'll cheer him on just like the rest of our guys, and hope he succeeds.

Also full disclosure, 'im not a GM, so I know nothing in general :)

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 1

Dude started 10 games at LG for ravens and held his own overall and then had inside track for starting LG job before injury . 

Im not saying he is Star but at worst this is good experienced depth . And little competition for Winters Doesn’t hurt .

• Upvote 4