Jets trade for OL Alex Lewis

1 hour ago, Jetsfan80 said:

3 sacks allowed (t-29th) and just 6 penalties (t-13th) on 707 offensive snaps (49th) last season.  Can play G or T.  Only 27.  Not too shabby for a potential depth guy. 

He has an injury history:  Lewis has missed 28 games over the last 3 seasons due to a sprained ankle in '16 (6 games), shoulder injury requiring surgery in '17 (full season - 16), and a neck injury (2) and another shoulder injury requiring more surgery (6) last season. 

Dude's gotta be better than Qvale. I'm  like giddy over 2 olinemen in 1 week. Such a breath of fresh air from Maccagnan.

• Upvote 2

9 minutes ago, 14 in Green said:

Douglas came to the right place, lol.

Forget the 6 year 18 million dollar deal, some of you guys are so blinded by Macc hate you fall head over heels with every move he makes. Hell, you’re even falling in love with moves he hasn’t made yet but you’re thinking he will.

Two things I’ll say about this move. First, I’m okay with the player. Seems like he’s certainly worth a shot. Second. No matter how you guys want to spin this, if Macc traded for a guy who was/was going to be released, you’d be killing him for giving up the draft pick and not simply getting him off the waiver wire.

Its good to be Joe Douglas right now....

Mac got more than his fair share of free passes during his early day's of buffoonery.  Can't blame people for a slight willingness to give the benefit of the doubt to someone who hasn't yet given all of us repeated reasons to have absolutely no faith in any decision he ever makes.

I don't particularly think there's anything to celebrate about this move, but also hardly anything to consider a career-defining moment for a guy just starting to try to clean up his idiotic predecessor's mess.

• Upvote 3

12 minutes ago, 14 in Green said:

Forget the 6 year 18 million dollar deal, some of you guys are so blinded by Macc hate you fall head over heels with every move he makes. Hell, you’re even falling in love with moves he hasn’t made yet but you’re thinking he will.

Two things I’ll say about this move. First, I’m okay with the player. Seems like he’s certainly worth a shot. Second. No matter how you guys want to spin this, if Macc traded for a guy who was/was going to be released, you’d be killing him for giving up the draft pick and not simply getting him off the waiver wire.

It was a conditional 7th.  Meaning the Jets might not give up anything at all for him, depending on the conditions. 

Also, I seem to forget the time Macc talked a potential future HOFer (who performed well the previous season) out of retirement like Douglas did with Kalil. 

These were his first 2 moves of significance.  They look pretty good.  Mike Maccagnan sucked for 5 years.  So, yeah, its easy to "spin" things as negative about Macc and "spin" things as positive for Douglas.  Hell, on the same day we made this move, the Jets cut yet another Macc draft pick in Jeremy Clark.  Just another reminder that Macc was the worst GM in the NFL before finally getting fired.  

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Losmeister said:

maybe JD shares my low opinion of Winters???  hmm...

Winters is pricy too, don't think he has any guaranteed money left.  

I wonder also if Harrison could get cut because of this, dude's having a bad week.  Went from starting NFL center, to first guy in, to fighting for a roster spot.

• Upvote 1

I believe this is a move the Jets needed to do!!! Douglas is doing his job and it only cost a 7th round pick for 2020. One of the things they needed to do that Maccagnan failed to do is fix the oline. Douglas has come in and is doing that right now by searching and adding depth to this oline. Douglas took a chance by making that trade for Lewis with the Ravens because both the Cards and 49ers were ahead of them on the waiver wire. 

All are down on here because Alex Lewis is injured a lot but people forgot Carpenter who came from Seattle was injured prone himself and the Jets gave him a chance. The Jets are doing the same and my guess he will take over for Winter who hasn't lived up to expectation on the oline. Winter has been hurt and been beaten on the line badly on multiple occasions. Winter's other problem is that he is prone to way too many penalties. The Jets need a change and Lewis is the person to come in and replace Winter. It will either be during the season or next year!!!

• Upvote 2
  • Thumb Down 1

20 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

It was a conditional 7th.  Meaning the Jets might not give up anything at all for him, depending on the conditions. 

Also, I seem to forget the time Macc talked a potential future HOFer (who performed well the previous season) out of retirement like Douglas did with Kalil. 

These were his first 2 moves of significance.  They look pretty good.  Mike Maccagnan sucked for 5 years.  So, yeah, its easy to "spin" things as negative about Macc and "spin" things as positive for Douglas.  Hell, on the same day we made this move, the Jets cut yet another Macc draft pick in Jeremy Clark.  Just another reminder that Macc was the worst GM in the NFL before finally getting fired.  

I’m not saying Macc wasn’t horrible.

What I’m saying is Douglas came to the best possible place he could have. People here are so frustrated with the guy who held the job before him, every move Douglas makes is “Wow! Douglas making moves!!! So glad we finally have a competent GM!!!”

In truth, he talked a 34 year old out of retirement, hoping he has anything left in the tank (lol the HOF level now guy), and made a few bottom of the roster churn moves.

He’s taking a flyer on this guy. Nothing more.

28 minutes ago, AL047 said:

Winter who hasn't lived up to expectation on the oline. Winter has been hurt and been beaten on the line badly on multiple occasions. Winter's other problem is that he is prone to way too many penalties.

Speak only for myself, but you seem to feel the same...

We're not crazy...      from the long angle, over the course of a seasn, Winters is a minus player.

1 hour ago, bitonti said:

assuming Lewis is healthy - there's several ways to see this 

1) they will get 16 games between Lewis and Osemele at LG together, but not apart (i.e. they didn't believe in Ko's durability over the whole season)

2) Brian Winters' job is threatened at RG (he's simply not the bulky player the new coaches prefer)

3) Brandon Shell's job is threatened at RT (long shot, Lewis is more of a guard)

4) Tom Compton isn't looking great cause these are essentially the same guy (could be... Minny didn't seem too scared to lose him)

5) Alex Lewis is the 6th guy coming off the bench (and that's fine)

we won't really know what is real until we see them in pads 

You throw the spaghetti on the wall to see if it sticks, and you know it's done.

I don't, I like mine  el dente.

3 hours ago, David Harris said:

Especially interesting because the Jets have the 3rd spot on the waiver wire, meaning Douglas could've just claimed him off waivers if Arizona and SF passed on him.  Seems like he's hurt often but was a 4th round pick a few years ago and started 10 games at LG last year.

Douglas attacking the OL every way he can.  I like taking a flier, have to assume its a conditional 7th rounder if he makes the roster.  He did pass a physical prior to release since he's had a bum shoulder.  Young, starting experience at a position where Jets lack depth.  Kick the tires. 

I dont care about 7 picks.  He must think this guy will make it, though

Sam Darnold is on the precipice of greatness.  

I think Douglas realizes that the one thing that is going to help Sam more than anything else is an addition 1.5 seconds.

Anything Douglas can do to get Sam another second and a half is going to make all the difference.  More than all the talent he's been surrounded with.

Whether this move gets an extra 1.5 seconds is beside the point--taken as a whole, all of these moves together to fortify the OLine and is going to make Darnold consistently that much better.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, 14 in Green said:

Why does Mr Douglas have to go to these lengths to get olineman in here?  I'll give you 5 years and 5 drafts to figure  it out.

• Upvote 4

2 hours ago, Barkus said:

Jets are 3 in waiver order, why trade for him? Unless Douglas knows Arizona or sf wanted him too?

I'd guess that his former colleagues told him there was interest from Arz or SF so he bumped it to a conditional seventh.  Decent trade if he sticks.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, chrisfaceoff said:

If we were talking about Macc or Idzik, I'd agree, but wasn't one of the big points about Joe being able to identify good players throughout the draft?

I'm not saying 'im up in arms about it and to get the pitchforks, but i'm just generally not excited about this move.  At the same time, I will be happy to eat crow if its worth it.

I was reading a bit about him from Baltimore boards and chats and the general consensus form them is he is a good guy, but injury history, and is out of shape.

If this was Mac, i'm pretty sure everyone would be complaining about the move.

Well considering Joe D. hasn't had a draft yet, this is good move.

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, JetFreak89 said:

Or you just give the conditional 7th and not take the risk. If he makes the roster, even as backup, he is worth the 7th. If he doesn't then no harm no foul, we don't lose the pick.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

I don't understand why this is hard to comprehend. I think @Maxman should consider pinning a link at the top of the page that will send posters to a reading comprehension course.

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 1

They keep the pick if they don’t like the player and cut him. It didn’t matter what waiver spot the Jets had because some other teams would have given up a conditional 7th as well but Douglass beat them to it. This was a no brainer and we were just used to a gm with no brains!

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, Augustiniak said:

does this speak to the lack of depth on the OL that mccags left?  or is this more bc of quavle's injury?

Or because its a conditional 7th round pick.

If hes cut i assume the condition is no comp

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Jetsfan80 said:

It’s nice that the GM actually identified what areas the team are deficient in and trying low cost/risk maneuvers to do something about it. You’d think that is a simple thing watching this team for five minutes, but the last gm decided to completely ignore every single tenet of team building and modern trends towards building a team so some kudos is deserved. 

• Upvote 1

Mac traded Dex McDougall for Middleton. Both players were getting cut by their respective teams and I remember Mac getting credit for it at the time. Not quite the same but close enough. Couldn't he have just waited for Middleton to get cut first? Teams trade low round draft picks for first dibs at players getting released ALL THE TIME. I'm too lazy to look it up but I'm sure Mac had at least one of those trades.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

2 hours ago, kdels62 said:

Beachum/ Edoga

Osemele/ Compton

Kalil/ Harrison

Winters/ Lewis

Shell/ Eric Smith or Qvale

Is that enough depth to allow us to move on from Winters? Harrison is a C/G, Compton and Lewis are G/T.

No way.  We're keeping Winters this year with an eye on replacing him in the starting lineup in 2020.  Whether that's with a draftee, FA or someone like Alex Lewis, Edoga, etc. step up to compete for RG....I have no idea.  But we're simply not good enough yet to purge a guy like Winters (as much as I wish we were).

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

3 sacks allowed (t-29th) and just 6 penalties (t-13th) on 707 offensive snaps (49th) last season.  Can play G or T.  Only 27.  Not too shabby for a potential depth guy. 

He has an injury history:  Lewis has missed 28 games over the last 3 seasons due to a sprained ankle in '16 (6 games), shoulder injury requiring surgery in '17 (full season - 16), and a neck injury (2) and another shoulder injury requiring more surgery (6) last season. 

This guy can play.  Is he elite?  No, but he may also not be physically able to perform at the level a starter needs to.  But what this does is offer EXCELLENT depth when you need to rest starters a few plays, and allow for him to start a few games if need be.  Good pickup.

• Upvote 2

This move shows that Joe Douglas is 180° polar opposite from Mac. Mac never have a sh*t about the OL. Joe Douglas obviously cares especially knowing he has a young franchise QB to protect. Mac sent Sammy out on the field not giving a f*ck if the defense used Sammy as their own personal crash test dummy.

• Sympathy 1