Jump to content

Jets trade for OL Alex Lewis


Recommended Posts

5 hours ago, JetFreak89 said:

 


Mac traded Dex McDougall for Middleton. Both players were getting cut by their respective teams and I remember Mac getting credit for it at the time. Not quite the same but close enough. Couldn't he have just waited for Middleton to get cut first? Teams trade low round draft picks for first dibs at players getting released ALL THE TIME. I'm too lazy to look it up but I'm sure Mac had at least one of those trades.


Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

 

You’re right, of course he did, and I’m sure most GMs have done it also. That’s not the point I’m trying to make though.

What I’m trying to say, and not very clearly apparently, is that because  of how bad Macc was, everything the new guy does, even a bottom roster transaction is greeted with “Ah, what a difference a real GM makes... Joe making moves! In Douglas we trust!”!

Im happy we have a new GM also, but I’ve seen about 10 of these guys come and go. So I’m going to take a wait and see approach with him.

 

Thank you and @Beerfish for being adult enough to simply reply with your opinion, unlike the other little girls who have to rush to butt fumble any post they think comes close to not ripping apart the old GM. Between you and me, I can wait to see how long it takes for them to turn on the new HC and GM. The know it alls love a guy who’s undefeated.

  • Upvote 3
  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

lol - quick someone change the thread title to remove the "no we don't want him" in the parens.

Or you just give the conditional 7th and not take the risk. If he makes the roster, even as backup, he is worth the 7th. If he doesn't then no harm no foul, we don't lose the pick. Sent from my iPh

Especially interesting because the Jets have the 3rd spot on the waiver wire, meaning Douglas could've just claimed him off waivers if Arizona and SF passed on him.  Seems like he's hurt often but was

Love this move, for the risk reward, and win-win mentality, think about it; for a conditional 7th round pick the Jets guarantee the pick up, save time, show the player he is valued and give the Ravens some juice for a potential future deal

if Lewis sucks, gets injured or mails it in, Jets cut him, get back the 7th round pick, and they still helped the Ravens save face - good will hunting, if he makes the team at that salary he is worth a 7th round pick and everyone wins...

 

  • Upvote 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

Guys need to let the Mac stuff go already. To me, Mac & Bowles already seems like years ago with all that has happened so far in 2019, and the totally different feel of this team and organization.

Having said that, a team can never have enough OL depth, NFL caliber OL Depth. People are so obsessed with draft picks LOL it makes me scratch my head a lot. What are draft picks for anyway? To draft new, young, inexperienced players and hope they can hack (no pun intended) the NFL. So to give up a 7th round pick for a potential starting G, is not only a no brainer, but quite a good move in my humble opinion, if even for depth.

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, 14 in Green said:

Douglas came to the right place, lol.

Forget the 6 year 18 million dollar deal, some of you guys are so blinded by Macc hate you fall head over heels with every move he makes. Hell, you’re even falling in love with moves he hasn’t made yet but you’re thinking he will.

Two things I’ll say about this move. First, I’m okay with the player. Seems like he’s certainly worth a shot. Second. No matter how you guys want to spin this, if Macc traded for a guy who was/was going to be released, you’d be killing him for giving up the draft pick and not simply getting him off the waiver wire.

Its good to be Joe Douglas right now....

It’s the honeymoon period. 

But I have disagree with your view. Jets fans were generally optimistic when Macc traded a 7th for Anderson. I don’t recall if the Colts were going to cut Anderson but it was known that he didn’t fit the scheme they were installing. 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Peace Frog said:

By the way, you know what another name for a 7th round pick is?

An undrafted free agent.

I hear ya but, Actually no it's not. Its a draft choice.   It's pick of the litter. It's removing the feeding frenzy from your most desired guy from the huge mess of potential contributors.  Its taking that one guy you think has the best potential to be developed and ensuring he is on the team.  I love me a good 6th and 7th rd pick.  Oh yeah baby. I love em.  :) 

We're just used to whiffing on them so their value is almost zero. 

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, flgreen said:

This isn't fantasy.  they can use that waiver position as many times as they want until early in the season.  They were afraid of multi team  interest, and losing him.  Still a good deal 

Goodcall, thanksfor the clarification. 

The move is a no-brainer, best case scenario: we get a solid OL, and we lose our shot at drafting the next Scotty McNight (although with Joe D in charge of the War Room, there ain't a shot in hell of the happening).

  • Upvote 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, JetFreak89 said:

 


Mac traded Dex McDougall for Middleton. Both players were getting cut by their respective teams and I remember Mac getting credit for it at the time. Not quite the same but close enough. Couldn't he have just waited for Middleton to get cut first? Teams trade low round draft picks for first dibs at players getting released ALL THE TIME. I'm too lazy to look it up but I'm sure Mac had at least one of those trades.


Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

 

He traded for Terrance Brooks .. we signed Doug Middleton as a UDFA. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

This is an okay move. No draft pick is "worthless," they are all possessions to be used wisely. One potentially good use of a 7th round pick is just what Joe did, grab a guy about to be waived who you feel will be claimed before you get a chance to. 

It is a conditional pick; do we even know yet just what the condition(s) are?  Could be the Jets take a close look on the guy, move on from him or he gets hurt again, and get the pick back.  OTOH, if he makes the team and stays relatively healthy, that's worth a 7th rounder for a guy who is not old, apparently talented (4th round pick), and started 10 games last year. See, that pick had some value.

Joe is in Parcells style "hold the fort" mode. There's not much more he can do at this time than this. 

 

  • Upvote 2
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, TheClashFan said:

Joe is in Parcells style "hold the fort" mode. There's not much more he can do at this time than this.

I like that, even in the 11th hour, he decided not to just shrug and think "Well, no one else is coming through that door".  Coaxing Kalil out of retirement and jumping ahead of the waiver process for Lewis are signals he wasn't going to be satisfied.  It's like a QB throwing a guy open.  Good GM's make moves like these that you don't expect. 

Douglas may well suck in the end but his first pair of "big moves" were aggressive and solid. 

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
41 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

I like that, even in the 11th hour, he decided not to just shrug and think "Well, no one else is coming through that door".  Coaxing Kalil out of retirement and jumping ahead of the waiver process for Lewis are signals he wasn't going to be satisfied.  It's like a QB throwing a guy open.  Good GM's make moves like these that you don't expect. 

Douglas may well suck in the end but his first pair of "big moves" were aggressive and solid. 

Exactly it’s nice to at least see some portion of our GM’s brain is occupied with the OL.

  • Upvote 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, TheClashFan said:

This is an okay move. No draft pick is "worthless," they are all possessions to be used wisely. One potentially good use of a 7th round pick is just what Joe did, grab a guy about to be waived who you feel will be claimed before you get a chance to. 

It is a conditional pick; do we even know yet just what the condition(s) are?  Could be the Jets take a close look on the guy, move on from him or he gets hurt again, and get the pick back.  OTOH, if he makes the team and stays relatively healthy, that's worth a 7th rounder for a guy who is not old, apparently talented (4th round pick), and started 10 games last year. See, that pick had some value.

Joe is in Parcells style "hold the fort" mode. There's not much more he can do at this time than this. 

 

Must disagree, Hackenberg was worthless.  I like our new GM.

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Fantasy Island said:

Must disagree, Hackenberg was worthless.  I like our new GM.

I think he meant the pick itself.  Not the player chosen with it.   and I agree. People act like 6th or 7th rd picks are worthless.  They forget the days of the 12 rd draft and that a 7th rd pick was just a mid rdr.  lol.   I can't wait to have a regime that actually hits on 50% of their late rd picks.

 

Ps.  I've even heard that there were more than 12 rds a long time ago in a galaxy far far away. 

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
48 minutes ago, TNJet said:

What? You don't think Beachum is great?? Lol.

It just makes too much sense. You put Williams at LT and shift Beachum to RT and our Oline is a top unit in the league 

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, GREENBEAN said:

I think he meant the pick itself.  Not the player chosen with it.   and I agree. People act like 6th or 7th rd picks are worthless.  They forget the days of the 12 rd draft and that a 7th rd pick was just a mid rdr.  lol.   I can't wait to have a regime that actually hits on 50% of their late rd picks.

 

Ps.  I've even heard that there were more than 12 rds a long time ago in a galaxy far far away. 

I don’t think 7th round picks are worthless but I believe the pool of talent available in the 7th is so thin and so diverse that a guy a team takes a flyer on in the 7th might not be on anyone else’s radar and might just be an UDFA. 

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
55 minutes ago, Peace Frog said:

I don’t think 7th round picks are worthless but I believe the pool of talent available in the 7th is so thin and so diverse that a guy a team takes a flyer on in the 7th might not be on anyone else’s radar and might just be an UDFA. 

 

 

True. A really good personnel dept will make those picks work out more than we've seen.  And they can be valuable for situations like this one too.  2020 7th rd pick = 2017 4th rd with injured shoulder.   Seem about right?  :) 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Peace Frog said:

I don’t think 7th round picks are worthless but I believe the pool of talent available in the 7th is so thin and so diverse that a guy a team takes a flyer on in the 7th might not be on anyone else’s radar and might just be an UDFA. 

 

 

But when you have that draft pick you are not fighting with 31 other teams on the udfa market and are locking them into a contract for your team. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, GREENBEAN said:

True. A really good personnel dept will make those picks work out more than we've seen.  And they can be valuable for situations like this one too.  2020 7th rd pick = 2017 4th rd with injured shoulder.   Seem about right?  :) 

The entire draft is a crap shoot and even 1st round picks bust all the time. 

When you get to round 7 you’ve gone through the perceived “best” 200 plus players (including comp pics) so by the time you get to pick 220 or so it’s REALLY a crap shoot. 

Sure the best personnel people in the league hit on a 7th rounder every once in a while and the worst never unless they stumble into dumb luck. 

But by and large, 7th rounders are not high on anyone’s radar so throwing one away to get someone who is a legitimate NFL player at a position of need —even a back up—I do every day. 

I get it, a draft pick is worth something but as you get into the 200s, you’re looking at likely UDFAs (and you could strike gold there but it’s very unlikely). But it’s one in thousands (queue someone posting the HOF 7th rounders and UDFAs and not the 10,000 that missed).

I’d rather have a guy to  protect my FQB. 

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, RobR said:

But when you have that draft pick you are not fighting with 31 other teams on the udfa market and are locking them into a contract for your team. 

I get that. Obviously. 

But nobody is fighting tooth or nail for them if they didn’t draft them in the 6th or 7th round. 

Is Greg Dortch going to be a superstar? 

I hope so but nobody wanted him out of 230 plus players. 

He’s an UDFA for a reason. 

There are UDFAs on every roster where fans are thinking “we got our guy!”

A 7th round pick is a nice chip, try to find a diamond in the rough or use it to shore up depth at a position of need. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Peace Frog said:

I get that. Obviously. 

But nobody is fighting tooth or nail for them if they didn’t draft them in the 6th or 7th round. 

Is Greg Dortch going to be a superstar? 

I hope so but nobody wanted him out of 230 plus players. 

He’s an UDFA for a reason. 

There are UDFAs on every roster where fans are thinking “we got our guy!”

A 7th round pick is a nice chip, try to find a diamond in the rough or use it to shore up depth at a position of need. 

When teams are only allocated 7 picks per draft I think some of them are fighting over players like a Dortch (or insert any other name) in the later rounds. 

Just because he went undrafted doesn't mean some teams didn't have a draftable grade on him.....they might not of had the pick too use on him. Similar to what will happen to us next year if we end up giving up our pick for Lewis.

I agree 100% with your last sentence. I have no problem giving up a 7th for a guy that could be a valuable OL back up for our team. 

 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, RobR said:

When teams are only allocated 7 picks per draft I think some of them are fighting over players like a Dortch (or insert any other name) in the later rounds. 

Just because he went undrafted doesn't mean some teams didn't have a draftable grade on him.....they might not of had the pick too use on him. Similar to what will happen to us next year if we end up giving up our pick for Lewis.

I agree 100% with your last sentence. I have no problem giving up a 7th for a guy that could be a valuable OL back up for our team. 

 

And teams likely have draftable grades on hundreds of players but when you get that far down the line, those last 50 players are pretty much all lumped in together.

I love late round picks, love obsessing over them.

I’m not sweating throwing one away. 

BTW, I know it was Mac but how much crap did he take for drafting Austin in the 6th. He might have been an UDFA and may never play. I like the kid but I might prefer a vet OLineman rather than that gamble. 

But since we drafted him I’m rooting for a rough diamond.

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Peace Frog said:

The entire draft is a crap shoot and even 1st round picks bust all the time. 

When you get to round 7 you’ve gone through the perceived “best” 200 plus players (including comp pics) so by the time you get to pick 220 or so it’s REALLY a crap shoot. 

Sure the best personnel people in the league hit on a 7th rounder every once in a while and the worst never unless they stumble into dumb luck. 

But by and large, 7th rounders are not high on anyone’s radar so throwing one away to get someone who is a legitimate NFL player at a position of need —even a back up—I do every day. 

I get it, a draft pick is worth something but as you get into the 200s, you’re looking at likely UDFAs (and you could strike gold there but it’s very unlikely). But it’s one in thousands (queue someone posting the HOF 7th rounders and UDFAs and not the 10,000 that missed).

I’d rather have a guy to  protect my FQB. 

I agree with this. Which is why I like what Joe Douglas did yesterday.   It makes a ton of sense like you mentioned. Like I said a fresh 7th next year is perfect for a 2017 4th rdar with an injury. That's balanced out nicely.  And especially for a young OL with starting experience in the NFL.   OL OL and more OL IMO. 

 And look, we both know what we're talking about here and I'm not going to keep trying to impress that 7th rdrs are more than they are, but I think I may value them a bit more than the casual fan or some guys here.  You're right that they are a crap shoot but the only way to have a chance in that game is to have the picks.  I bet I could nail down a 7th rd pick every year that would be a good NFL player by year 4.  Sometimes I feel like the NFL guys think too much but it's obviously much different sitting on my couch with no pressure. 

I always remember that Housmanzadah and Colston were both 7th rd picks and Barry Foster was an UDFA. Those stick out to me. Hell Robbie Anderson was an UDFA so it happens of course.  

I'm really hoping Douglas and crew can create one of those situations where we are grooming young players from the later rds in the draft consistency. Like the Ravens and Steelers have done for years.  Wouldn't that just be the bees knees? 

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Peace Frog said:

And teams likely have draftable grades on hundreds of players but when you get that far down the line, those last 50 players are pretty much all lumped in together.

I love late round picks, love obsessing over them.

I’m not sweating throwing one away. 

BTW, I know it was Mac but how much crap did he take for drafting Austin in the 6th. He might have been an UDFA and may never play. I like the kid but I might prefer a vet OLineman rather than that gamble. 

But since we drafted him I’m rooting for a rough diamond.

 

 

I think we're pretty much on the same page. I absolutely hated Tanny when he would give a later round pick for Rex too make like they had no value.

I think every pick has value, even a low 7th because it allows you to draft a guy instead of fighting on the free agent market for their services. Or trade it for a player like Lewis.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.




×
×
  • Create New...