Who are you most excited to see (or hoping to see) in Thursday's Preseason game?

Who are you most excited to see (or hoping to see) in Thursday's Preseason game?  

97 members have voted

1. 1. Who are you most excited to see (or hoping to see) in Thursday's Preseason game?

• Sam Darnold (O)
    • Le'Veon Bell (O)
    • Jamison Crowder (O)
    • Kelechi Osemele (O)
    • Robby Anderson (O)
    • Quinnen Williams (D)
    • Jachai Polite (D)
    • CJ Mosely (D)
    • Jamal Adams (D)
    • Trumaine Johnson (D)
    • Other?

Which young Jets players should we be looking out for on Thursday night?

Jets open preseason schedule vs. Giants

By Bent | 1:23PM
  • Share:
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
(Seth Wenig) (Seth Wenig)

bentsntavatar_4ydq3rdo.pngBent, theJetsBlog.com Follow on Twitter

Traditionally, starters and veteran contributors don't tend to play much in the first preseason game, so while Thursday night's game will give Jets fans their first look at players like Jamison Crowder and CJ Mosley, those players might only be in for a couple of series. Players like Le'Veon Bell and Ryan Kalil may not even suit up.

However, we should get an extended look at plenty of future contributors or players competing for a role this year. Let's focus on the young players it will be most interesting to pay attention to:

Blake Cashman, LB

The Jets need someone to step up and fill the coverage linebacker void having traded Darron Lee and letting Kevin Pierre-Louis walk and they clearly have faith in Cashman being able to undertake that role. He's replaced Avery Williamson with the first unit in subpackages at camp.  

Cashman, who is also a great special teamer, could be tested in coverage on Thursday night, but it will also be interesting to see how he holds up against the run.

Valentine Holmes, RB

The Aussie in Holmes has started making plays over the last week or so but he's the biggest unknown quantity on the team, as Thursday night's game will represent his first football game ever. He's no stranger to a big occasion though, as he played in the 2017 Rugby League World Cup Final in front of over 40,000 fans.

It will be interesting to see if Holmes gets a chance to field a punt. That's something he should feel comfortable with because he'd have had to field high kicks under pressure during his rugby career.

Tim White, WR

White is the oldest player on this list having entered the league in 2017. However, he's only played in three NFL games. He was surprisingly listed as a second-string wide receiver on the first Jets' depth chart that was released this week. That's a reward for a series of strong performances and big catches in camp.  

Greg Dortch, WR

The undrafted rookie Dortch was listed as the number one punt returner on the official depth chart with White representing perhaps his main competition for that role. In order to beat out White (and others), he'll also need to show he can produce out of the slot. That's something he started to do over the past few days of practice.

Kyron Brown, CB

Brown is another undrafted rookie with a chance at a roster spot, as he has also been listed with the second string. The competitive Brown has intercepted a few passes this offseason and has been given some first-team reps when players ahead of him have sat out. How will he hold up in his first preseason game, though?

Chuma Edoga, OT

Edoga is currently expected to ride the bench for most, if not all, of his rookie season but the third-round pick will get plenty of opportunities to show how close he is to NFL-ready in preseason. Edoga seems to have moved ahead of Eric Smith as the primary reserve at left tackle having filled in for Kelvin Beachum briefly while he was sidelined with an injury, so hopefully that's a sign he's progressing.

Jachai Polite, EDGE

The Jets' other third-round pick got off to a slow start in camp but has reportedly been dominant over the past week or so.If he can prove capable of generating consistent pressure against NFL-level talent, he has a chance to put his stamp on a designated pass rusher role. How he holds up against the run will also be interesting in terms of his longer-term starting potential.

Folorunso Fatukasi, DT

The Jets hope Fatukasi can make a jump in his second season after a quiet 2018 season. He's reportedly made some plays against the run in camp and the Jets might view him as a potential Steve McLendon replacement next year. Fatukasi will compete with his fellow 2018 draft pick Nathan Shepherd for time, but his ability to play the nose tackle position will serve him well.

Frankie Luvu, EDGE

Luvu was a rare bright spot last year, as the undrafted rookie earned himself regular reps down the stretch. Can he take that next step this season and produce as a pass rusher while also playing with good discipline against the run?

Deontay Burnett, WR

Burnett was another rookie who flashed down the stretch last year and will look to carry that momentum into this preseason. He seems to have the inside track on the fourth wide receiver spot and should be a good option to back up Crowder in the slot. Burnett has shown good chemistry with Trevor Siemian in camp and has previously demonstrated good chemistry with his former USC teammate Sam Darnold. That gives him an excellent chance to produce in preseason.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

24 minutes ago, Peace Frog said:

So just f*ck Greg Dortch.

Why you be hatin, man?

Ha! Dortch the Torch! I tried not to list 50 players and limited myself to 5 each on O and D. There were plenty of other options which is why I put Other.

I was REALLY close to listing Cantanzaro!!! ? (no....seriously)

2 hours ago, jetstream23 said:

Ha! Dortch the Torch! I tried not to list 50 players and limited myself to 5 each on O and D. There were plenty of other options which is why I put Other.

I was REALLY close to listing Cantanzaro!!! ? (no....seriously)

Stop stealing my kickass nickname!!!

• Haha 2

I chose other only because after the camp reports we’ve seen, I’m dying to see this Cashman kid fly around.

Burnett is my guy, so him, Q, and the Dortch kid, who I know nothing about, despite living in the Carolina area. That’s my bad, I’m sure I’ve seen him play, but I’d be lying if I said I remember him.

• Upvote 1

25 minutes ago, slats said:

I'm just gonna stick with my own nickname, Dortch the Larry Storch. 

Image result for corporal agarn

Great show, lol. Tv was great when I was a kid.

So many funny ones when we were kids. F Troop, Hogan’s Heroes, Green Acres, Gilligan’s Island, Petticoat Junction ( Meredith McCrea was a crush), on and on...

Then the “boys” shows like Combat, Rat Patrol, Star Trek, Twilight Zone...

2 minutes ago, thshadow said:

It's the preseason, you have to focus on the young guys. For me, it's Tim White, I want to see evidence of what we're hearing about in practices.

This is Tim White's second "camp sensation" run.

He had one with the Ravens already.   I am plenty skeptical.

Daniel Jones is the right answer you idiots. If he could make the most gifted talent evaluator of our generation fall in “full bloom” love after one series at a glorified college exhibition walkthrough, we’ll probably all need a box of tissues and a new pair of shorts after seeing him take the field against backups and fringe practice squad talents tomorrow night.

• Haha 1