Aaron Rodgers and Matt LaFleur clash over joint practices

August 7, 2019 | 9:46am | Updated 

Enlarge Image
Aaron Rodgers and Matt LaFleur
Aaron Rodgers and Matt LaFleurGetty Images

Control at the line of scrimmage isn’t the only thingAaron Rodgers and rookie head coach Matt LaFleur disagree on.

Following Monday’s and Tuesday’s workouts with the Houston Texans, the Packers quarterback griped about the purpose of joint practices, which Green Bay hadn’t implemented since 2005.

“I wouldn’t mind if they didn’t do it for another 14 years,” Rodgers told reporters Tuesday, according to ESPN.

Compare that to LaFleur, who said, “Absolutely 100 percent, I want to do this again.”

Among Rodgers’ frustrations was not revealing a lot “schematically” and the risk of injury before the season officially starts.

“We bring a team in, I understand the point of it, but I don’t think doing live special teams drills are very smart,” the quarterback said.

“I think the [NFLPA] is going to look at that, for sure. Kickoff especially is one of the most dangerous plays in football, and that’s why they’ve tweaked different things over the years to do — close to a live kickoff drill, I don’t think is the best use of inter-squad practices.”

Two Packers players on Monday were leveled by Texans rookie Lonnie Johnson Jr.during a non-tackling session. Both players were sidelined Tuesday because of the hits, with tight end Jace Sternberger being evaluated for a concussion.

Rodgers was previously frustrated with the amount of control he’s given at the line of scrimmage in the new offense. image.gif.18129c11598b0d2a3c0d22dd5c80639a.gif

“I don’t think you want me to turn off 11 years,” Rodgers told NFL.com last month. “There’s stuff that not many people in the league can do at the line. That’s not a humblebrag. That’s just a fact.

“I mean, obviously, Tommy (Brady) can do it, no doubt. Peyton (Manning) could do it. Drew (Brees) can do it. (Patrick) Mahomes will be able to do it. Ben (Roethlisberger) has called the two-minute for years. There are a few of us who’ve just done it; it’s kind of second nature. And that’s just the icing on the cake for what I can do in this offense.”

Differences aside, Rodgers appears pleased with LaFleur’s game plan thus far.

“I like the scheme,” he explained. “I mean, I do. I like the scheme a lot. I like the stresses that it puts on defenses, I like the marriage of the run game with the action. I like our concepts from both stack alignments, bunch alignments and from wide alignments. I think it’s going to be very tough to get a bead on what we’re doing.”

Coming off a 6-9-1 season, Rodgers is ready to roll after the dismissal of former coach Mike McCarthy last year. The Packers will get to put LaFleur’s system on display during Thursday’s preseason opener against those same Texans.

Rodgers may be an arrogant, egotistical prima donna, but after seeing what happened last year between Jets and Skins at joint practice, I have to agree with him. 

I hope its a long time before we do any more joint practices with another team.

• Upvote 3
  • Post of the Week 1

1 minute ago, Lith said:

Rodgers may be an arrogant, egotistical prima donna, but after seeing what happened last year between Jets and Skins at joint proctice, I have to agree with him. 

It's good for the younger players, but the veteran guys shouldn't be involved at all.

31 minutes ago, Joe W. Namath said:

Rodgers is not the type of player that wants to listen to a first time head coach.  Rodgers knows more football then lafluer. Why the heck would he want to take orders from him?

Packers were not dmart hiring this guy.

He also didn't want to listen to a Superbowl winning coach that had been in charge for over a decade. Rodgers has turned into Favre part 2. Diva Douche.

1 hour ago, Joe W. Namath said:

Rodgers is not the type of player that wants to listen to a first time head coach.  Rodgers knows more football then lafluer. Why the heck would he want to take orders from him?

Packers were not dmart hiring this guy.

Apparently he knew more than his last coach too

who is going to want to coach him?

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Lith said:

Rodgers may be an arrogant, egotistical prima donna, but after seeing what happened last year between Jets and Skins at joint practice, I have to agree with him. 

I don't think anyone has a particular issue with his opinion on the topic, I can certainly understand it, but he couldn't possibly handle it any worse.

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, Bleedin Green said:

Rodgers has ridiculous talent, but he can be a real douchebag.

I actually don't think there's an issue with the feeling on any of these individual items, but immediately griping about it to the media is such a douchey move.

Did you see The Predator? It has Olivia Munn in it. She ruined the franchise. Completely ruined it. It was horrible. She basically ruins everything. Including Rogers. Poor guy. I don't think he used to be a duesh. Remember discount double check? Man that was cool. He used to win alot games too. Then Olivia Munn. Ruined him.

I feel bad for dueshy Rogers. Its not his fault. 

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, BornJetsFan1983 said:

Did you see The Predator? It has Olivia Munn in it. She ruined the franchise. Completely ruined it. It was horrible. She basically ruins everything. Including Rogers. Poor guy. I don't think he used to be a duesh. Remember discount double check? Man that was cool. He used to win alot games too. Then Olivia Munn. Ruined him.

I feel bad for dueshy Rogers. Its not his fault. 

I think Shane Black had much more to do wit,h the new Predator being crappy than Munn did.  Although, I agree with you that her career seems well on it's way to becoming about as forgettable as Annette O"Toole's.  

Seriously though, Aaron.  This would have been a perfect time to drop a "Suck it, Lafleur!"  Just think of the meme potential!

• Upvote 1

15 hours ago, Lith said:

Generally I think it's cool, however, the Jets should have known to cancel the joint practice given Terrelle Pryor's history with the Redskins. 

Threats leading up to the practice was flying all around social media beforehand. 

The Jets literally walked into that situation when they shouldnt have. 

That isolated situation shouldnt reflect on the general aspect of these practices. Even us fans before the practice knew that sh_t was probably going to go down, because it was all over the web. 

In respects to Rodgers, this dude is really becoming an asshat. Do what the coach asks. You're not the coach. 

• Upvote 1

17 hours ago, Joe W. Namath said:

Rodgers knows more football then lafluer. Why the heck would he want to take orders from him?

Why would you say this?

There is no player who knows more about how to coach a team than a coach with an extensive, successful coaching career, even if its not as a HC.  

1 hour ago, nico002 said:

Rodgers is a HOF get and Lefleur is completely unqualified to be a head coach, but yea it’s Rodgers fault

Yeah, its Rodgers fault.

Lefleur is the coach, not Rodgers, start with that.

Lefleur was hired to coach the team, not Rodgers

Lefleur will succeed or fail on what he does, not what Rodgers wants or doesn't want to do at practices.

Lefleur is miles more qualified to be a HC than Rodgers is.

• Upvote 1

20 hours ago, joewilly12 said:

August 7, 2019 | 9:46am | Updated 

Enlarge Image
Aaron Rodgers and Matt LaFleur
Aaron Rodgers and Matt LaFleurGetty Images

Control at the line of scrimmage isn’t the only thingAaron Rodgers and rookie head coach Matt LaFleur disagree on.

Following Monday’s and Tuesday’s workouts with the Houston Texans, the Packers quarterback griped about the purpose of joint practices, which Green Bay hadn’t implemented since 2005.

“I wouldn’t mind if they didn’t do it for another 14 years,” Rodgers told reporters Tuesday, according to ESPN.

Compare that to LaFleur, who said, “Absolutely 100 percent, I want to do this again.”

Among Rodgers’ frustrations was not revealing a lot “schematically” and the risk of injury before the season officially starts.

“We bring a team in, I understand the point of it, but I don’t think doing live special teams drills are very smart,” the quarterback said.

“I think the [NFLPA] is going to look at that, for sure. Kickoff especially is one of the most dangerous plays in football, and that’s why they’ve tweaked different things over the years to do — close to a live kickoff drill, I don’t think is the best use of inter-squad practices.”

Two Packers players on Monday were leveled by Texans rookie Lonnie Johnson Jr.during a non-tackling session. Both players were sidelined Tuesday because of the hits, with tight end Jace Sternberger being evaluated for a concussion.

Rodgers was previously frustrated with the amount of control he’s given at the line of scrimmage in the new offense. image.gif.18129c11598b0d2a3c0d22dd5c80639a.gif

“I don’t think you want me to turn off 11 years,” Rodgers told NFL.com last month. “There’s stuff that not many people in the league can do at the line. That’s not a humblebrag. That’s just a fact.

“I mean, obviously, Tommy (Brady) can do it, no doubt. Peyton (Manning) could do it. Drew (Brees) can do it. (Patrick) Mahomes will be able to do it. Ben (Roethlisberger) has called the two-minute for years. There are a few of us who’ve just done it; it’s kind of second nature. And that’s just the icing on the cake for what I can do in this offense.”

Differences aside, Rodgers appears pleased with LaFleur’s game plan thus far.

“I like the scheme,” he explained. “I mean, I do. I like the scheme a lot. I like the stresses that it puts on defenses, I like the marriage of the run game with the action. I like our concepts from both stack alignments, bunch alignments and from wide alignments. I think it’s going to be very tough to get a bead on what we’re doing.”

Coming off a 6-9-1 season, Rodgers is ready to roll after the dismissal of former coach Mike McCarthy last year. The Packers will get to put LaFleur’s system on display during Thursday’s preseason opener against those same Texans.

Rodgers still thinks he is the coach.  Maybe he is

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, pdxgreen said:

I think Shane Black had much more to do wit,h the new Predator being crappy than Munn did.  Although, I agree with you that her career seems well on it's way to becoming about as forgettable as Annette O"Toole's.  

Seriously though, Aaron.  This would have been a perfect time to drop a "Suck it, Lafleur!"  Just think of the meme potential!

I will never forgive Hawkins. It makes me think he really didn't have much to do with the original movie.

4 hours ago, nico002 said:

Rodgers is a HOF get and Lefleur is completely unqualified to be a head coach, but yea it’s Rodgers fault

Sure, but being the franchise QB and also being a douche who gets coaches fired can be counter-productive to winning.  Rodgers has a responsibility not to fracture locker rooms.  He garners a huge percentage of the salary cap and thus he can directly hurt GB's chances of winning by failing to be a good leader who makes the players around him better.

Granted, I think Ben Roethlisberger has done more to hurt his own situation in PIT than Rodgers has done for GB, but they're not far off. 

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Jet Nut said:

Yeah, its Rodgers fault.

Lefleur is the coach, not Rodgers, start with that.

Lefleur was hired to coach the team, not Rodgers

Lefleur will succeed or fail on what he does, not what Rodgers wants or doesn't want to do at practices.

Lefleur is miles more qualified to be a HC than Rodgers is.

Lefleur is the coach of the Packers. Part of that job is to cater and get input from your potential GOAT QB on what style of offense and practice schedule is best for the team. The fact that him and Rodgers are not on the same page is asinine.