Parcells vs. Bradway on draft day

AFJF

**denotes NFL caliber player, not pro bowler, not superstar...just a guy who turned out to be good enough to contribute on an NFL roster.

Parcells went 13-39

Bradway went 23-36 (with a chance to improve that depending on his 2005 picks yet to get a shot)

Shaun Ellis DE Tennessee**

John Abraham LB South Carolina **

Chad Pennington QB Marshall **

Anthony Becht TE West Virginia **

Laveranues Coles WR Florida State **

Windrell Hayes WR USC

Tony Scott DB North Carolina State

Richard Seals DT Utah

Randy Thomas G Mississippi State **

David Loverne G San Jose State

Jason Wiltz DT Nebraska

Jermaine Jones DB Northwest Louisiana

Marc Megna LB Richmond

J.P. Machado G Illinois

Ryan Young T Kansas State **

J.J. Syvrud DE Jamestown

Dorian Boose DT Washington State

Scott Frost DB Nebraska

Kevin Williams DB Oklahoma State

Jason Fabini T Cincinnati **

Casey Dailey LB Northwestern

Doug Karczewski T Virginia

Blake Spence TE Oregon

Eric Bateman T Brigham Young

Eric Ogbogu DT Maryland **

Chris Brazzell WR Angelo State

Dustin Johnson RB Brigham Young

Lawrence Hart TE Southern

James Farrior LB Virginia **

Rick Terry DT North Carolina

Dedric Ward WR Northern Iowa **

Terry Day DE Mississippi State

Leon Johnson RB North Carolina **

Lamont Burns G East Carolina

Raymond Austin DB Tennessee

Tim Scharf LB Northwestern

Chuck Clements QB Houston

Steve Rosga DB Colorado

Jason Ferguson DT Georgia **

Bradway

Mike Nugent K Ohio State **

Justin Miller DB Clemson **

Sione Pouha DT Utah

Kerry Rhodes DB Louisville **

Andre Maddox DB North Carolina State

Cedric Houston RB Tennessee **

Joel Dreessen TE Colorado State

Harry Williams WR Tuskegee

Jonathan Vilma LB Miami (FL) **

Derrick Strait DB Oklahoma **

Jerricho Cotchery WR North Carolina State **

Adrian Jones T Kansas **

Erik Coleman DB Washington State **

Marko Cavka T Sacramento State

Darrell McClover LB Miami (FL)

Trevor Johnson DE Nebraska

Derrick Ward RB Ottawa (KS)

Rashad Washington DB Kansas State

Dewayne Robertson DT Kentucky **

Victor Hobson LB Michigan **

B.J. Askew RB Michigan **

Derek Pagel DB Iowa

Matthew Walters DE Miami (FL)

Brooks Bollinger QB Wisconsin **

Dave Yovanovits T Temple

Bryan Thomas DE Alabama-Birmingham **

Jon McGraw DB Kansas State **

Chris Baker TE Michigan State **

Alan Harper DT Fresno State

Jonathan Goodwin G Michigan **

Santana Moss WR Miami (FL) **

LaMont Jordan RB Maryland **

Kareem McKenzie T Penn State **

Jamie Henderson DB Georgia **

James Reed DT Iowa State **

Situpe Peko T Michigan State **

Opinions?

You are counting Jamie Henderson, Alan Harper, Jonathan Goodwin and BJ Askew as NFL contributors but not Eric Obogu, Leon Johnson or Dedric Ward? I think you need to do some re-figurin' on this one.

I took Harper off the list already...Henderson was an NFL caliber player until his injury, I'm not going to hold that against a player/GM. Askew is more of an incomplete but I'd lean toward NFL caliber due to Herms inability to get him in to a game. Ogbogu and Johnson seem to disappear for years at a time and barely hang on but you have a point, they have played in the league for some time now (I was a big fan of Leon with the Jets and was hoping for big things before that knee injury). Ward was alright for a couple of seasons and then fell off the face of the earth (I think it was Parcells who cut him last) but he too did contribute for a couple of seasons.

it is difficult to compare them because both periods had different pool of talents... So far, Parcells has done well with draft last few years for Cowboys so has Bradway for Jets.

You have to remember that when Bradway and Edwards stepped in as GM and HC they overhauled the "old" team with young players... So thus, Edwards compeled to ulitize young draftees during his time...

While I detest Bradway, I applause him for using draft selections wisely... Good or Bad...

By the way, is there any chance that T Peko and DT Peko(who will be on draft board this year) are the family?

Parcells really has some horrible drafts. That 1998 draft is pathetic.

Trading down for James frickin Farrior was 1 of the worst moves ever.

And getting nothing but garbage the rest of the way (Ferg aside), doesnt make a case for it.

Bradway is a better drafter.

You are not even including several Bradway players that I think will do OK as the years go by. Guys like Cavko, Washington, Maddox and Trevor.

And, Bradway did not have a bust of a draft like 1998. He also did not have 4 first round picks like Parcells in 2000, when it would have been tough to ruin that draft, even though Becht was not the player everyone thought he would be.

You are not even including several Bradway players that I think will do OK as the years go by. Guys like Cavko, Washington, Maddox and Trevor.

And, Bradway did not have a bust of a draft like 1998. He also did not have 4 first round picks like Parcells in 2000, when it would have been tough to ruin that draft, even though Becht was not the player everyone thought he would be.

I agree on the group of guys who haven't shown anything to this point, they could still be players, I would consider this to be move of an "up to now" comparison.

While I seriously doubt Marc Megna will be surfacing anytime soon, i do think there are some TB picks that can still work out.

Parcells really has some horrible drafts. That 1998 draft is pathetic.

Trading down for James frickin Farrior was 1 of the worst moves ever.

And getting nothing but garbage the rest of the way (Ferg aside), doesnt make a case for it.

Bradway is a better drafter.

Let's be fair, Bart.

Bradway traded two #1 and a 4th for DRob, and he's been adequate. He has yet to live up to the value of the picks traded.

Both have their share of hits and misses.

Here's where Bradway is indefensible. His miscalculation concerning Coles' tender and the Morton compensation were brutal. Bradway appeared way in over his head and this might have forced his hand in making the trade with Chicago to move up.

Here's another one. Granted, Bradway was able to move up, but the man did so a week BEFORE the damn draft took place. New England had multiple picks that year, and much was made about how BB loved DRob.

It would've been far too easy for BB to make a move and leapfrog Bradway, further embarassing him and the franchise. He made the trade far too early and should have done so on draft day.

Terry also made questionable picks with Askew and Thomas, areas that were not lacking. We still don't know about a handful of the men he's drafted, and this is three years after the fact.

Look, I am not one to bash Terry and praise Parcells. I do not have a statue or shrine erected in the Tuna's honor. I do believe that Terry has done some good things here, and bad as well. This isn't about being blind. It's me being honest.

Parcells had the benefit of rebuilding this team before the cap. Bradway has been hindered by it.

Again, both have pluses and minuses. Let's hope Terry has another good draft.

Let's be fair, Bart.

Bradway traded two #1 and a 4th for DRob, and he's been adequate. He has yet to live up to the value of the picks traded.

Both have their share of hits and misses.

Here's where Bradway is indefensible. His miscalculation concerning Coles' tender and the Morton compensation were brutal. Bradway appeared way in over his head and this might have forced his hand in making the trade with Chicago to move up.

Here's another one. Granted, Bradway was able to move up, but the man did so a week BEFORE the damn draft took place. New England had multiple picks that year, and much was made about how BB loved DRob.

It would've been far too easy for BB to make a move and leapfrog Bradway, further embarassing him and the franchise. He made the trade far too early and should have done so on draft day.

Terry also made questionable picks with Askew and Thomas, areas that were not lacking. We still don't know about a handful of the men he's drafted, and this is three years after the fact.

Look, I am not one to bash Terry and praise Parcells. I do not have a statue or shrine erected in the Tuna's honor. I do believe that Terry has done some good things here, and bad as well. This isn't about being blind. It's me being honest.

Parcells had the benefit of rebuilding this team before the cap. Bradway has been hindered by it.

Again, both have pluses and minuses. Let's hope Terry has another good draft.

True. Bradway really screwed up on the Coles tender issue, but thats not what we're discussing. Yes, Coles should have been tendered the highest which is 1st and 3rd. But just looking at draft picks, Bradway has had better drafts. What he didnt do or how he got those draft picks and where they were in order isnt the issue. Strictly looking at the players both he and parcells have brought in via the draft, I think its safe to say Bradway has done a much better job.

In fairness with trading up for Drob, the Bears were I believe the highest team in the draft willing to trade down.

The Bengals, Lions and Texans all 1-3, stayed put and took their man.

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/story/78235p-72111c.html

Both the Jets and Patriots were talking to the Bears, and Bradway beat the Patriots to the punch.

And its wrong when people say Robertson was nothing great in college.

He was always double teamed on kentucky, and still had an impact.

People say that as an excuse, but kentucky is not Texas or Tennesse, there werent any other real threats on that front 7 than Robertson.

----Robertson totaled 114 tackles and 10½ sacks in 32 games for the Wildcats, including 48 tackles and five sacks last season. The Jets and others believe statistics don't begin to tell his story. They became enthralled by him based on what they saw on film and in workouts----

We better hope that Bradway has a great draft this year.

McClover and Andre Maddox are 2 guys I want to see play in Mangini's system.

Definitely McClover, I like the guys intensity a lot. I think that in the end he'll be a great value pick.

To be honest I never thought Parcells strengths were when he was handling both personnel and coaching..His best moves when he first got here was bringing in Curtis and Mawae and then Vinny...but then along with that came the A****ers, Eric Green etc I think Bill's success came primarily by getting the team in great shape for the first time in years and disciplined. That gave the team instant credibilty and belief and then the game planning took over.

You forgot to add C Martin to Parcells draft history and J Mac to Bradways.

Overall I like the job both of them did with the drafts. I think Bradway does a good job finding talent. However his talent has not been coached properly.

True. Bradway really screwed up on the Coles tender issue, but thats not what we're discussing. Yes, Coles should have been tendered the highest which is 1st and 3rd. But just looking at draft picks, Bradway has had better drafts. What he didnt do or how he got those draft picks and where they were in order isnt the issue. Strictly looking at the players both he and parcells have brought in via the draft, I think its safe to say Bradway has done a much better job.

In fairness with trading up for Drob, the Bears were I believe the highest team in the draft willing to trade down.

The Bengals, Lions and Texans all 1-3, stayed put and took their man.

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/story/78235p-72111c.html

Both the Jets and Patriots were talking to the Bears, and Bradway beat the Patriots to the punch.

And its wrong when people say Robertson was nothing great in college.

He was always double teamed on kentucky, and still had an impact.

People say that as an excuse, but kentucky is not Texas or Tennesse, there werent any other real threats on that front 7 than Robertson.

----Robertson totaled 114 tackles and 10

You forgot to add C Martin to Parcells draft history and J Mac to Bradways.

Overall I like the job both of them did with the drafts. I think Bradway does a good job finding talent. However his talent has not been coached properly.

I didn't forget J-Mac and CMart. This post was meant to address the players they selected who were coming out of college. Not to discuss what they got in return for draft picks given up. Just a look at how the players they themselves selected while running the Jets FO'

I didn't forget J-Mac and CMart. This post was meant to address the players they selected who were coming out of college. Not to discuss what they got in return for draft picks given up. Just a look at how the players they themselves selected while running the Jets FO'

Like I said I won't argue that Bradway is a good GM. I think he takes a lot of flack after selecting a good amount of players based on what his moron HC wanted.

Archived