Jets have no Depth! Thanks MacCoffee!

1 hour ago, JiF said:

Hard not to get into the excitement of Darnold when you're a Qb starved fanbase but that started with the end of the regular season last year, not his opening drive of the first preseason game.  The drive was just juicy because we've waited all offseason to see our stud in action.

That said, his drive just like everything else yesterday, was 100% meaningless. 

Not only Darnold's play....but when was the last time you saw play calls by an offensive coordinator that left our receivers wide open?

I was just as impressed, maybe even more, with the "vanilla" play designs.

1 hour ago, TeddEY said:

I actually don't agree that preseason is meaningless.  Preseason results are generally meaningless.  But, in the last decade, we've seen our offense be ineffective in preseason, and then surprise, they couldn't move the ball consistently in the regular season as well.  I'd love to see an example of a team who's first string completely floundered in preseason and then was great in the regular season... Barring that, I think you can get a bit of a feel for what you're looking at.

Christian Hackenberg was once 5-7 for 65 yards and a TD on his 1st ever NFL preseason drive.  Bryce Petty threw for 250 and 3 TD's vs. the Giants and this board went ape sh*t over it.  I think your memory is spotty. 

The only thing that you can draw upon from preseason is;  what fringe roster spot dudes should make the team and that isnt always an easy confirmation on the TV screen either.

It's pretty meaningless dude.

• Post of the Week 1

1 hour ago, Pac said:

Gase was fired too.

I'm not saying Macc was great but this thread is silly.

Why is it silly? After using many many assets to fix the secondary, we're still in the same place? 

Since 2015 we have 1 draft pick & 2 expensive free agent CBs in Adams, Tru & Poole.

2015- Macc signs Revis-Cro-Skrine-Gilchrist & because of that free agency splurge for the secondary he doesn't draft any secondary help in 2015 & every free agent is GONE! 

2016- He drafts Burris in the 4th round- GONE!

2017- He drafts Adams & Maye in the 1st & the 2nd, Clark, Jones, & trades for Rashard Robinson for a 5th. Adams is the only guy starting come Sept. vs the Bills. Clark, Robinson are gone, Maye is hurt...again & Jones got burnt like toast last night by a backup WR. 

2018- Drafts Nickerson (juries out, but last night wasn't a great showing).

2019- Has to replace Skrine & signs Poole, drafts an injured Austen. 

ABOVE IS A F*CKING DISASTER IN DRAFT & FREE AGENCY STRATEGY! HORRIFIC! A 10 year old Madden player could have done no worse!

• Thumb Down 1

13 minutes ago, Jetster said:

Why is it silly? After using many many assets to fix the secondary, we're still in the same place? 

Since 2015 we have 1 draft pick & 2 expensive free agent CBs in Adams, Tru & Poole.

2015- Macc signs Revis-Cro-Skrine-Gilchrist & because of that free agency splurge for the secondary he doesn't draft any secondary help in 2015 & every free agent is GONE! 

2016- He drafts Burris in the 4th round- GONE!

2017- He drafts Adams & Maye in the 1st & the 2nd, Clark, Jones, & trades for Rashard Robinson for a 5th. Adams is the only guy starting come Sept. vs the Bills. Clark, Robinson are gone, Maye is hurt...again & Jones got burnt like toast last night by a backup WR. 

2018- Drafts Nickerson (juries out, but last night wasn't a great showing).

2019- Has to replace Skrine & signs Poole, drafts an injured Austen. 

ABOVE IS A F*CKING DISASTER IN DRAFT & FREE AGENCY STRATEGY! HORRIFIC! A 10 year old Madden player could have done no worse!

It's silly because the players who are going to play looked like the k gun on offense en route to an easy TD and went 3 and out on defense.

If you want to focus on the the backup CBs have at it..  I just happen to think its silly.

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

11 minutes ago, Pac said:

It's silly because the players who are going to play looked like the k gun on offense en route to an easy TD and went 3 and out on defense.

If you want to focus on the the backup CBs have at it..  I just happen to think its silly.

Agreed.  

32 minutes ago, Pac said:

Well, I guess your happy with the CB position then. Sorry, I disagree strongly & JD will prove that out going forward. 

21 minutes ago, JiF said:

Christian Hackenberg was once 5-7 for 65 yards and a TD on his 1st ever NFL preseason drive.  Bryce Petty threw for 250 and 3 TD's vs. the Giants and this board went ape sh*t over it.  I think your memory is spotty. 

The only thing that you can draw upon from preseason is;  what fringe roster spot dudes should make the team and that isnt always an easy confirmation on the TV screen either.

It's pretty meaningless dude.

I'm talking about 1st team vs. 1st team.  Of course which backups excel against other backups isn't relevant.  

2 hours ago, Pac said:

QB, WRs, both lines, LBs, RB situation look good to very good but our Kicker sucks and backup CBs are spotty...

Clear evidence Macc sucks.

I defended Macc in his tenure here but I have come to the conclusion that he did suck and his drafting was pretty much awful. The overall roster is still just ok and the depth is lacking. The new GM did more to upgrade the OL in a few months than Macc did in 4 years. I think we are all going to see what a quality GM will do with this roster in a few years. 

My take form this one pre-season exhibition was that as soon as the 1st team had their way , Gase & Co threw the baby out with the bath water. It was pretty much a free-for-all as to who was playing playing with whomever. When you have a hodgepodge of 2nd/3rd stringers there's really no way to isolate one players performance in that time frame because of all the confusion with reads and players in the wrong positions. 

Plus compounding the fact that the 'Giant' announcers blatantly overlooked the players performances by not calling out their names on any giving play, I had a hard time figuring out who was who.  One has to look at he positives for that reason - both Dortch and Holmes looked very competent. Cashman and Sheppard  had some good moments out there and even though sacks were lacking the 2nd/3rd string DL had lots of pressure.  Luvu and Fautukasi looked really impressive also.

The 2 real negatives I took from this are the depth in the backfield and Webb, who was just horrible.

3 minutes ago, RevisIsland610 said:

I defended Macc in his tenure here but I have come to the conclusion that he did suck and his drafting was pretty much awful. The overall roster is still just ok and the depth is lacking. The new GM did more to upgrade the OL in a few months than Macc did in 4 years. I think we are all going to see what a quality GM will do with this roster in a few years. 

Too funny.  So, when exactly did you change your mind?  The day he was fired?  Like, if Macc were still the GM, he'd still be good?  Why don't you just say, "I liked him when he was a Jet, but now that we have Joe Douglas, Joe Douglas is definitely better."

Just now, TeddEY said:

Too funny.  So, when exactly did you change your mind?  The day he was fired?  Like, if Macc were still the GM, he'd still be good?  Why don't you just say, "I liked him when he was a Jet, but now that we have Joe Douglas, Joe Douglas is definitely better."

I gave him credit for some secondary moves he made and some decent pickups but his drafting was awful. Many people on here gave him zero props but I thought he did some good things but overall yes he did suck. And yes, Douglas is definitely better. 

16 minutes ago, TeddEY said:

I'm talking about 1st team vs. 1st team.  Of course which backups excel against other backups isn't relevant.  

Gotcha.  Probably just going to have to agree to disagree.  Nobody is game planning for each other, it's all vanilla.  Like I said, you cant even make takeaways from week 1 of the regular season so I think that rule applies to the preseason as well.

This was preseason game one. Every team has what 92 ish players on their roster? Most of the guys you watched last night are camp bodies trying to stick which most of them will not. Every teams depth gets bad once you get passed the first string. Some second stringers have potential than the rest you are looking for diamonds in the rough. Macc did not leave the roster in great shape but maybe wait till the season starts and games matter. Also lets hope we don't have to see much of the depth players in real games?

Sent from my LGUS991 using JetNation.com mobile app

5 hours ago, IndianaJet said:

For the first time in literally 20 years....since 1999....I watched the first pre-season game and came out of it knowing that I did not have to worry about the most important position on the field. 

I wasn't making excuses about bad throws because receivers ran their routes a little too shallow, I wasn't wondering if the lack of accuracy would improve as camp goes on, I wasn't trying to convince myself that the QB play will get better once we start "game planning".  Nope....none of that....it was pretty clear to me in one series that we really have solved the most glaring problem this team has had for decades.

Yet somehow I knew when I came on here this morning, the very first thread would be something negative.

It's in our blood. Sammy played great except for one very Ill advised pass that should have been picked off. With that said, I want to give him the best possible team to work with. This team is not it. The lack of talent beyond the starting lineup is appalling and honestly I have concerns about Sammy getting beat up as a result. It's not about being negative, it's about realizing the front office still has a lot of work to do. I'm quite worried and want to see him stay upright.

28 minutes ago, RevisIsland610 said:

What makes you say that about the OL? I understand the addition of Kelechi Osemele is an upgrade, but Ryan Kalil hasn't played good football the last couple seasons. So overall the OL is not much better. 

• Thumb Down 1

34 minutes ago, JiF said:

Gotcha.  Probably just going to have to agree to disagree.  Nobody is game planning for each other, it's all vanilla.  Like I said, you cant even make takeaways from week 1 of the regular season so I think that rule applies to the preseason as well.

I just think it's too simplistic a view.  There were seasons where the 1st team offense ran the ball into the line and couldn't get any push in the preseason, and drives stalled immediately.  Here on JN, people expressed concern about this, and were told, preseason is meaningless, lets see what happens in the games.  And, wouldn't you know it, we couldn't generate any push, and our offensive line got beat up badly, stalling the offense in general.  Yes, there's "vanilla," but losing at the point of attack isn't about gameplan.  It's about ability.  And for many years, we haven't had the ability, and we saw that as early as preseason.

• Upvote 1

17 minutes ago, NYJ1 said:

What makes you say that about the OL? I understand the addition of Kelechi Osemele is an upgrade, but Ryan Kalil hasn't played good football the last couple seasons. So overall the OL is not much better. 

Yes it is. Ryan Kalil doesn't have to make the pro bowl to be an upgrade over Harrison at center. Alex Lewis is another addition that adds depth and I wouldn't be surprised if Douglas is working on other upgrades as well. Macc neglecting the OL for so long was lunacy especially with a gem like Darnold behind center. 

2 minutes ago, TeddEY said:

I just think it's too simplistic a view.  There were seasons where the 1st team offense ran the ball into the line and couldn't get any push in the preseason, and drives stalled immediately.  Here on JN, people expressed concern about this, and were told, preseason is meaningless, lets see what happens in the games.  And, wouldn't you know it, we couldn't generate any push, and our offensive line got beat up badly, stalling the offense in general.  Yes, there's "vanilla," but losing at the point of attack isn't about gameplan.  It's about ability.  And for many years, we haven't had the ability, and we saw that as early as preseason.

That's fair but why does it have to be complicated? Every year without a doubt you see overreaction Monday around the league. Remember the Jets last year?  Dominated all 3 phases of the game.  Sanchez to Hill vs. Buffalo back in the day.  The Patriots are done.  Etc. It happens every year all over the league in week 1.  So again, dont see how the preseason is different, let alone the 1st game of the preseason but whatevs. 

4 hours ago, Nixhead said:

Again that's the point sh*t for brains: The Jets players that aren't gonna make any team are way worse than any other teams players that aren't gonna make any team. It was evident tonight. Capishe?

I don't know that I'm ready to jump off a building about it, but for the most part this is true. Last season there were many players that I thought to myself, they would never make other NFL rosters. The point of that entire strategy was to build up a rainy day fund. He achieved that meanwhile having a horribly under talented roster.

The fact is at least for the most part, in the NFL just like everywhere else, YOU PAY FOR WHAT YOU GET. Mac played el cheapo with the roster the last 4 years and his drafting was very seriously deficient. Now we see the end result..... 

45 minutes ago, RevisIsland610 said:

Yes it is. Ryan Kalil doesn't have to make the pro bowl to be an upgrade over Harrison at center. Alex Lewis is another addition that adds depth and I wouldn't be surprised if Douglas is working on other upgrades as well. Macc neglecting the OL for so long was lunacy especially with a gem like Darnold behind center. 

And you witnessed that last night? That's good for you if that's the way you feel but I saw an OL getting beat up at the point of attack. Darnold being forced out of the pocket and throw on the run because blocking broke down much faster than normal.

14 minutes ago, NYJ1 said:

And you witnessed that last night? That's good for you if that's the way you feel but I saw an OL getting beat up at the point of attack. Darnold being forced out of the pocket and throw on the run because blocking broke down much faster than normal.

You saw scrubs playing, I stand by my previous comments.