Hold your breath defense

4 hours ago, Raideraholic said:

Injury.  Everyone wants to go into the season healthy .  No one wants to lose a player in scrimmage games . 

Amen to that man. I think alot of injuries happen because there are not eased into the fring through practive anymore. They have neutered practices. Its probably just heresay but I do think there is more injuries directly because of not being in game shape. So since they are not going to get any more practive in with the CBA then hell not dont play them un neecarily durign preseason. 

Its seems counter intuitive now that I write it out but how pissed would we be if Bell got hurt in a meaningless preseason game. I would lose my sh*t. If he goes down in a real game it would suck, but at least it was a real game.

3 hours ago, JoeWillieWhiteShoesHOF said:

Guy was a fraud and a fake (think the 99 coffee cup props on his desk in that picture), from Day 1.

If you have an ounce of street smarts you could tell he didn't belong in that job whatsoever just by the way he looks and acts.

As far as hiring him as the lowliest scout in my front office, why should I? (If I'm any NFL team).  What tangible success has he brought to any team he has worked for?  Over 90% of his draft picks hit the bricks in under 12 months of their selection never to see the inside of an NFL building again.  His FA signings virtually all busts along with being wrong just about every time extending players for big bucks.

We now know this clown was about to be fired in Houston and then Casserly swooped in and pawned this dolt off on our team.

Now, today, to no one's surprise, it seems that NO NFL team cares to know what his phone number is.

Guy is luckier than most Lotto winners with the checks he robbed from the Jets for 4 long years.

And now, even with all the good feelings over finally having a Franchise QB that was lucked into, we see a team with less than zero depth.

Oh damn hit em wiht the street smarts!! nicely done poster

I have to chuckle reading these posts. The 1st exhibition game is no barometer on the talent level on the roster. It's the first chance everybody gets to play at game speed, with an opponent in front of you. Last nights game was even more meaningless, because of the rain delay. Players come back after 2 hours after relaxing in the locker room. Don't judge anyone, on last nights game.

• Upvote 1

Had we drafted well these last 5 years we'd have more talent then the Browns. Instead of fighting for a playoff spot, we'd be legit contenders. Maybe even to go all the way.

The browns have had two to three first round picks just about every year for the passed 5 years along with a bunch of second day picks to boot if I'm not mistaken. Last year being the exception when they traded their first rounder for obj. They had a truck full of crap to throw against the wall before they had the talent on their team they have now lets not pretend that above average drafting would have given us a more talented roster than the powerhouse they have built.

Sent from my LGUS991 using JetNation.com mobile app

2 hours ago, Joe W. Namath said:

Hes only coached 2 dumpster fires since then.  Any nfl person will tell you greg williams is one of the best in the biz.  Thats not debateable.

Yes, you're right. Excuses are always better than results and the Jets defense is definitely stacked with talent and is very deep.

• Upvote 1

The amount of resources invested in the defense over the last 5 seasons is simply staggering, and yet the unit still probably sucks as a whole. 

• 4 first round picks (including 3 in the Top 6 overall)
  • 1 second round pick and 4 third round picks
  • Our current 3 most expensive players against the 2019 cap (Leo, Mosley, Trumaine Johnson) totaling $39.2M (representing nearly 20 % of the cap)
  • 2015 offseason contracts:  $39M guaranteed to Revis, $25M contract with $13M guaranteed to Buster Skrine, $22M contract with $5M guaranteed to Marcus Gilchrist

Plus whatever we're paying Gregg Williams on a 3-year deal to try to fix this mess.  Though of course that doesn't count against the cap and isn't my money, so who really cares about that. 

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, Joe Jets fan said:

Come on, Every team in the league can say this.   

I am no Mac defender but this is just silly. 

Not to the degree Macc failed they can't.  And teams with BETTER talent than us fired their GM's much quicker than we did. 

Oh well.  Can't change the past.  But Joe Douglas has a lot of work to do. 

• Upvote 2

4 hours ago, Joe W. Namath said:

Greg williams will get them ready. 

Gregg Williams is an overrated X's and O's guy.  He's far better than Kacy Rodgers but that's not saying a whole lot.  He's about an average DC in the NFL who never stays at the same spot for more than 2-3 seasons. 

Unless you're an elite DC like Jim Schwartz or Wade Phillips, you're not going to do much with a below average pool of talent on D.  Williams is decent but not in that category. 

2 hours ago, Joe W. Namath said:

Hes only coached 2 dumpster fires since then.  Any nfl person will tell you greg williams is one of the best in the biz.  Thats not debateable. 

He couldn't even get the Rams to play at a top 10 level with the Rams and Aaron Donald.  His final season with the Rams (2016) they were ranked # 17 in DVOA.  Who are these "NFL people" telling these lies?  Because the numbers don't back them up.

Williams is good at one thing:  Immediate culture change.  But it doesn't last long, as he's always gone quickly.  As an X's and O's guy he hasn't elevated the level of play of his defense since the early 2000s. 

23 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Not to the degree Macc failed they can't.  And teams with BETTER talent than us fired their GM's much quicker than we did. 

Oh well.  Can't change the past.  But Joe Douglas has a lot of work to do. 

Start by signing Claiborne and see if Jax will take a second for Jalen Saunders

Can’t really make a good assessment based on a series although it looked easy to march down the field on offense and a three and out on defense with some key starters not playing. Vanilla offense and defense also being played. What will make this team rise to the top. Nothing we don’t already know. Some O- line studs, secondary help and a nasty edge rusher should bring it all together. With Bell in the offense I think the sky’s the limit, even this year. I also think it’s going to be very difficult for teams to try and run up the middle. Mosley should greatly improve the D as well. Overall this will be a greatly improved Jet team this year IMHO. I’m sniffing some post season action if they can stay relatively healthy.

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, LockeJET said:

Had we drafted well these last 5 years we'd have more talent then the Browns. Instead of fighting for a playoff spot, we'd be legit contenders. Maybe even to go all the way.

If we drafted better we would have played better and then we wouldn't have been in position to draft darnold most likely. 

7 hours ago, Scoop24 said:

Lol yet another thread turned into a Mac bashing thread . Dudes live in the past forever  around here

Im sure Mac is crying right now while Looking at his millions in his bank account and drinking a fresh cup of coffee. 

It’s not the past.... MACs shlt drafting has hurt us into at least the next 3 years. It’s current. 

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

37 minutes ago, Hackenberg said:

Gase and Darnold, over the next decade? 

Lol they'll be around together 2 years, tops. 3 if the Jets are really really slow about deciding to move on.

They aren't going to be the next  SD Chargers/Fouts, or Miami Dolphins /Marino.. winning games with no defense

You think Gase is going to be fired after next season?  Unless it's a complete dumpster fire, that's just not gonna happen.

And I think there's a good chance that Darnold will be good enough to be the QB here for a decade.  TBD.

Gase sticking around for a long time is much less certain.  Everyone loves a new coach - and I also think he seems great - but if the wins don't come, the coach gets fired.

3 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

He couldn't even get the Rams to play at a top 10 level with the Rams and Aaron Donald.  His final season with the Rams (2016) they were ranked # 17 in DVOA.  Who are these "NFL people" telling these lies?  Because the numbers don't back them up.

Williams is good at one thing:  Immediate culture change.  But it doesn't last long, as he's always gone quickly.  As an X's and O's guy he hasn't elevated the level of play of his defense since the early 2000s. 

I cant argue with clueless people.  He coached the jeff fisher rams and the hue jackson browns.  He worked miracles all things considered.  You can make chicken soup out of chicken sh!t.

2 minutes ago, Joe W. Namath said:

I cant argue with clueless people.  He coached the jeff fisher rams and the hue jackson browns.  He worked miracles all things considered.  You can make chicken soup out of chicken sh!t.

Fisher has a higher winning % than Gase as a HC. 

9 hours ago, Barry McCockinner said:

I understand why starters don't play much in preseason. My point was that this thread is a reaction based mostly on backups. Granted, the backups blow.

Actually I agree the CB's blow.  Not so sure I will say all the "back ups" blow.

As much as people have been bashing the OL, they played real well in pass protection through out the game.  DL back ups played very well too.  

All in all I really don't believe I can say the back ups sucked.  Their back ups, and not starters for a reason. 

We all have to get a reality check!!!! Having Gregg Williams as defensive coordinator will not change a thing if the Jets  don't rebuild the secondary. Last night the secondary was burnt badly and the kicker sucked!!! This is only the preseason and the season hasn't begun yet and already the Jets are looking for another CB. 

The Jets DC Gregg Williams has his hands full trying to fix this unit!!! He's a well respected DC but he has his hands full trying to fix this dline and finding a pass rusher. Now he has to find a good CB!!!  Williams was handed a mess and he has to find a way to win.

This team has a few holes and they will be exposed badly during games!!!! Last night was an example of how one of their weakness got exposed.and the season didn't begin yet.

• Thumb Down 1

12 hours ago, Jetster said:

Granted it's just one preseason game but the lack of capable CBs is completely obvious & the scariest part is none of us know yet what we're going to get from our #1 CB in Trumaine Johnson. What we do know from past experience is that Gregg Williams can't make chicken salad out of chicken sh*t, you can go back to his poor defenses during his New Orleans days. 

2019 will be about Gase & Sam building an offensive system that develops over the next decade. Joe Douglas will have his work cut solidifying the back end of the defense along with rebuilding the Oline with some youth. The only way this Jet team competes with the Patriots in 2019 is to have one of the healthiest seasons ever, we just don't have the depth to get through injuries, especially at CB. 

Watching Sam last night I'm positive we have found our franchise QB & his ceiling is limitless so in Joe Douglas we trust to right this ship that Macc crashed into the rocks. Such a shame the years & drafts wasted by Idzik & Macc. I've always said there were posters on here that had better track records in the draft threads. Guys who seemed to know more than the people getting paid good money to turn this team around. Joe Douglas got a good look at the backups last night, I would have loved to be a fly on that wall. I'm sure he realized he's got a lot of work to do. That was expensive win vs the Bills last year with the stumbling bumbling Eli McGuire (soon to be released) tripping his way into the endzone. We could have used some more draft picks. 

I don't get the McGuire hate. I actually like the kid. He did score a TD. Much better than the no show, stumbling fumbling Trenton Cannon (soon to be released)

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, southparkcpa said:

It’s not the past.... MACs shlt drafting has hurt us into at least the next 3 years. It’s current. 

Not that I'm disagreeing with you - I'm not, but to be fair Mac inherited a sh*t roster. Tanny was brutally bad at drafting from 2008 on. John Idzik will go down as the very worst GM this franchise had ever had. So although Mac was every bit as bad as Tanny was after 2008, he inherited a very bad situation.

3 hours ago, TNJet said:

I don't get the McGuire hate. I actually like the kid. He did score a TD. Much better than the no show, stumbling fumbling Trenton Cannon (soon to be released)

McGuire is fine especially for depth.  He’s basically Powell without a broke neck

• Upvote 1