Extremely Quick Takes

KRL

i agree on dortch, he looks like a natural returning punts, and he's a guy they can scheme for gadget plays and bubble screens.

at this point i can see both cannon and mcguire being cut when better rbs get cut from other teams.  they were both very late round picks and that's what happens most of the time.  cannon has speed but not really the elusiveness you want in someone in that role.  he's not an elusive 3rd down back, i'd still rather have powell.

• Upvote 4
  • Sympathy 1

7 minutes ago, hmhertz said:

Don't blame the 2nd and 3rd team offensive line for the lack of a running attack, Trenton Cannon has no instinct period

It happened to all 3 backups. No push from Eric Smith, or Jon Toth hurts all the backs after the starters went out.

25 minutes ago, KRL said:

- Trenton Cannon is going to have a hard time making the team as an RB.  But
his ability as a gunner on special teams may save him

What I noticed from last night's game was that McGuire was getting carries late in the 4th quarter. Not Cannon. That's a REALLY bad sign for Mcguire. 

McGuire is just bad and can't help in special teams. He pitter patters when a hole opens up and looked clumsy on his TD catch. I think he is as good as gone. 

Cannon may not be an every down back but like you said he brings value on special teams.  

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

6 minutes ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

Cannon's value isn't as a returner, it's on kick coverage. Plus he adds some return skill (in case of injury) and I rank him above Mcguire as a runner....which isn't saying much. 

The reality is that with Bell/Ty and I guess Powell, any other RB on the roster better help in special teams.  

Cannon gonna have to add more value than just a gunner . Which I’m guessing is the reason they started him as the kick returner . But at some point he is gonna have to make some plays. 

Just now, Scoop24 said:

Cannon gonna have to add more than value than just a gunner . Which I’m guessing is the reason they started him as the kick returner . But at some point he is gonna have to make some plays. 

i think he is who he is, a fast straight linish rb/kr who will fumble occasionally.  he and mcguire were late round picks for a reason.  they are both expendable.

• Sympathy 1

2 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

i think he is who he is, a fast straight linish rb/kr who will fumble occasionally.  he and mcguire were late round picks for a reason.  they are both expendable.

I agree at 25 I don’t think there’s much upside . Both of them can catch but neither excel at actually running the ball.  I personally wouldn’t cut Powell for either guy . 

• Upvote 2

Just now, Scoop24 said:

I agree at 25 I don’t think there’s much upside . Both of them can catch but neither excel at actually running the ball.  I personally wouldn’t cut Powell for either guy . 

they will find a jag rb on the waiver wire who can be the 4th rb this year.  they'll also find another K after cuts.  finding competent cbs will be harder.

• Upvote 2

Kicker was horrible.  Should be outright cut frankly.

RB's were very meh.  None impressed me.

Siemian was not great, we've seen that kind of limited-talent QB before, don;t want to see any more of it tbqh.

Webb, ugh.  As bad as folks here always said, too bad.  At least it's the backup QB's who mostly suck, not the starter for a change! 

I'll leave the #4/#5 WR debate to others, it's already way to HYPE in some view for my tastes.

Starters looked good, at least the ones we saw, but so little time it's mostly irrelevant.  

As expected, our depth....is not good.  At all.  Pray to the God of injuries, we're gonna need it.

On to PS Game #2.

• Upvote 2

11 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

Any signs of Wesco and Sheperd? 

Shepherd is a serious disappointment and our kicker should NOT have a job at the moment. Either call Matt Bryant or Ross Martin. 

Enough of the negatives, I ******* love Sam. I had a smile on my face the whole night. That was phenomenal. 

• Upvote 1

I’ve been hoping that McGuire becomes the type of player he was in college and save for a few really nice plays he just hasn’t been that good. 

I think I’m ready to throw my towel in on him. Maybe if he goes off for 70 APY next week I’ll keep it in my pocket but I just don’t see it. 

I think I got my hopes up for little or no reason. 

Having said that, Cannon has never impressed me as a runner. No instincts. Speed isn’t translated into the field. 

• Upvote 1

Nice observations.

The single biggest thing that stood out is that our starters looked good in very limited action but we have very limited depth pretty much across the board. O-line depth, skill position depth, QB depth, secondary depth, etc.

Pretty disappointed in Nathan Shepherd and Parry Nickerson. Was hoping they'd be better contributors at this point.

• Upvote 3

Minor point to keep in mind regarding the offense is that Kalil wasn't playing.  When he's in, the OL will hopefully perform better as a whole, which should improve run-blocking as well as pass-protection.  Also, Bell will be getting most of the touches and Powell most of what's left and neither played last night so RB performance as a whole will be VERY different soon.

• Upvote 3