Extremely Quick Takes

KRL

1 hour ago, Scoop24 said:

Cannon gonna have to add more value than just a gunner . Which I’m guessing is the reason they started him as the kick returner . But at some point he is gonna have to make some plays. 

I disagree on Cannon. Peake was on our roster all year long and all he did was gunner. I think fans underestimate the importance of the position. Cannon is a ST starter on Punt and possibly KR and is a RB3/4. All those things combined give him value to the team. 

• Upvote 3

1 minute ago, nycdan said:

Minor point to keep in mind regarding the offense is that Kalil wasn't playing.  When he's in, the OL will hopefully perform better as a whole, which should improve run-blocking as well as pass-protection.  Also, Bell will be getting most of the touches and Powell most of what's left and neither played last night so RB performance as a whole will be VERY different soon.

most complaints are about K, cb and backup rb spots.  not bad for us jet fans.  i even like some of the wr depth.  darnold will find these guys.  too bad herndon is suspended, he could really emerge as a top TE.  the offense may get involved in some shootouts if the cbs give up big chunks of yards like they did under bowles.

2 minutes ago, nycdan said:

Minor point to keep in mind regarding the offense is that Kalil wasn't playing.  When he's in, the OL will hopefully perform better as a whole, which should improve run-blocking as well as pass-protection.  Also, Bell will be getting most of the touches and Powell most of what's left and neither played last night so RB performance as a whole will be VERY different soon.

Exactly we had a lot of guys out.  Plus when the starters were in they shredded the Giants. 

• Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, sourceworx said:

- I loved what I saw from Brandon Copeland and Frankie Luvu.  As awful as Mac was at drafting, he managed to find decent players whenever he went dumpster-diving

Mac got promoted and delegated everything to incompetent people.  His dumpster diver, I think Heimerdinger, was the best of the lot.  

I also agree with pretty much everything KRL stated. Props to Frankie luvu, kyron Brown, kelechi osemele, and Cashman obviously. The kicker needs to be released today and we need somebody else in here immediately! Cannon and Parry Nickerson are disappointments and should be cut as well immediately. I don't even think I saw Bilal play? I do think Ty Montgomery look good. Tim White looks good Trevor Simeon does not have a big arm and I think that will hurt. I wasn't really impressed with either of the back up lines. And the broadcast of the show completely favored the Giants and they didn't even tell you any of the names of any of the backups on the Jets as they made big plays and that really pissed me off. We need a kicker we need cornerback depth. And that much is obvious. Oh yeah we definitely need to keep Deontay Burnett all the guy does is show up. Oh yeah and Greg Dortch is an absolute keeper.

• Upvote 1

Just now, Greenbloodblitz said:

I also agree with pretty much everything KRL stated. Props to Frankie luvu, kyron Brown, kelechi osemele, and Cashman obviously. The kicker needs to be released today and we need somebody else in here immediately! Cannon and Parry Nickerson are disappointments and should be cut as well immediately. I don't even think I saw Bilal play? I do think Ty Montgomery look good. Tim White looks good. Trevor Simeon does not have a big arm and I think that will hurt. I wasn't really impressed with either of the back of lines. And the broadcast of the show completely favored the Giants and they didn't even tell you any of the names of any of the backups on the Jets as they made big plays and that really pissed me off. We need a kicker we need cornerback depth. And that much is obvious

As long as Siemian's arm is strong enough to carry his helmet around the sidelines and that's all he ever does with it this season, I don't care.  

• Haha 2

7 minutes ago, Greenbloodblitz said:

I also agree with pretty much everything KRL stated. Props to Frankie luvu, kyron Brown, kelechi osemele, and Cashman obviously. The kicker needs to be released today and we need somebody else in here immediately! Cannon and Parry Nickerson are disappointments and should be cut as well immediately. I don't even think I saw Bilal play? I do think Ty Montgomery look good. Tim White looks good Trevor Simeon does not have a big arm and I think that will hurt. I wasn't really impressed with either of the back up lines. And the broadcast of the show completely favored the Giants and they didn't even tell you any of the names of any of the backups on the Jets as they made big plays and that really pissed me off. We need a kicker we need cornerback depth. And that much is obvious. Oh yeah we definitely need to keep Deontay Burnett all the guy does is show up.

Agree on most. However, Tim White did not look good. He could not get separation on deep balls (supposedly his specialty) and was not able to make any contested catches on throws that went his ways. If Dorcht, Burnett and Bellamy keep playing the way they did last night they will be the 4, 5, 6 guys. Burnett straight up has great hands and has been catching everything since the tail end of last season when he got a chance to play.  

• Upvote 4

13 minutes ago, PepPep said:

Agree on most. However, Tim White did not look good. He could not get separation on deep balls (supposedly his specialty) and was not able to make any contested catches on throws that went his ways. If Dorcht, Burnett and Bellamy keep playing the way they did last night they will be the 4, 5, 6 guys. Burnett straight up has great hands and has been catching everything since the tail end of last season when he got a chance to play.  

I think I got Bellamy and Tim White confused but you're completely correct on that assessment. However charone Peake was still showing up last night on special teams so maybe we keep 7 wide receivers? I think Montgomery and Greg Dortch will make Cannon, Maguire and a few of the backup wide receivers expendable. I think we go into the season with Bell, Montgomery, and Powell at RB, as they can all split ot wide. And our wide receivers are Anderson, Enunwa, Crowder, Bellamy, Burnett, Greg Dortch and Peake 

• Upvote 1

It looked to me like roster bubble guys got majority of snaps last night. I'm going to keep the RB position out of this b/c it was such a clusterf**ck. Cannon couldn't make any headway on the ground but played specials well, McGuire couldn't make any headway on the ground but caught some passes, and Valentine Holmes, who nobody considered a bubble guy at all caught passes and ran the ball like an NFL vet. I don't know what to make of this group. 

Here are roster bubble guys who helped themselves last night:

-Luvu 

-Burgess

-K.Brown

-Kaufusi 

-Basham

-L.Falk

-G.Dortch

-Bellamy

Here are roster bubble guys who hurt their chances last night:

-Toth

-Nickerson

-Fatukasi 

-Catanzaro 

-Langi 

-D.Webb 

-Wint 

-T.White 

*Sidenote: I know a lot of people think Shepherd should be cut. And yes, I expected more from him last night. However, he had his nose up in all the action on running plays and was breaking down that o-line. I thought he looked ok and Jet fans should still give him a couple more pre-season games to show something before cutting bait. 

• Upvote 3

not that the agent won't know anyway ... but ... Douglas/Gase have been excellent so far with the roster ... i'm going to believe they're in negotiation with Matt Bryant already & trying to keep a small amount of leverage there by not having fired our kicker yet. 

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, doublel9 said:

Cuz Dortch & Bellamy play specials.  Hope they keep him, will get snatched up if waived

Assuming they keep 6 (could keep 7) I would think it's Robby, Crowder, Enunwa as the top-3.  Then Burnett (who can back up any position) feels like the #4 guy and first guy in to replace any injury.  Then probably Dortch and Bellamy.  Peake is toast so that leaves Tim White and Deonte Thompson on the bubble. 

Do either of those guys beat Burnett for a spot?  White seems redundant with Dortch so I don't see them needing to keep both.

3 hours ago, Scoop24 said:

Cannon gonna have to add more value than just a gunner . Which I’m guessing is the reason they started him as the kick returner . But at some point he is gonna have to make some plays. 

One of the recurring themes around here is the Jets overall lack of depth. Who are you desperate to keep on the 53-man roster ahead of one of the league's better gunners who can also return kicks for you if needed? 

1 hour ago, Augustiniak said:

not only this but you can make an argument he's the 4th wr.  and when crowder gets hurt burnett is the slot guy.

Dortch is also in line to be the backup slot guy. Darnold has the accuracy to take advantage of a 5'7" receiver across the middle. I like Burnett more and more, he just catches the football. I'd like to see him backing up Enunwa. Or taking his job the next time he gets hurt. 

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 1

3 minutes ago, slats said:

One of the recurring themes around here is the Jets overall lack of depth. Who are you desperate to keep on the 53-man roster ahead of one of the league's better gunners who can also return kicks for you if needed? 

Dortch is also in line to be the backup slot guy. Darnold has the accuracy to take advantage of a 5'7" receiver across the middle. I like Burnett more and more, he just catches the football. I'd like to see him backing up Enunwa. Or taking his job the next time he gets hurt. 

i think it's going to be hard to keep burnett off the field, he just seems like a baller and he can catch.  at least one of robby/enunwa/crowder will get hurt, unfortunately, and right now burnett is the clear next man up.  and the guy has chemistry with darnold.  

i like dortch, but he seems to be the 3rd slot guy right now.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, doublel9 said:

Don't see McGuire or Burnett sticking, sad cuz both legit NFL depth players and fan favs. 

Fatukasi>Shepard but one loses out on crowded DL

Pray for decent waived DB and S. S as much a concern as DB. Hot mess.

I luv Luvu, Jet for life!

Someone needs to tell Burnett he needs to turn up field instead of running sideways and/or backwards. He's got really good hands but didn't look so great last night running after the catch.

3 minutes ago, shevys said:

I hope you're right. I wasn't impressed by him last night. He whiffed big time on a tackle and seemed to be about a half second slow on several plays. 

When a player with Cashman's speed is a half-second slow, that's generally a mental issue. He'll play faster as he gets more comfortable. 

• Upvote 4

3 hours ago, Scoop24 said:

Peake made the team last year strictly as a gunner. It’s an important role. Peake and Cannon have a chance to make the team for that reason. 5th and 6th WR hardly ever see the field. Same with your 4th RB. Better to have two good gunners than a guy who may add value if two guys in front him get hurt.

• Upvote 1

Just now, slats said:

When a player with Cashman's speed is a half-second slow, that's generally a mental issue. He'll play faster as he gets more comfortable. 

I'm rooting for the dude, hope it's just a matter of getting himself acclimated to the NFL. 

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, NYs Stepchild said:

He played well enough that I'd like to see more. 

Cannon and McGuire, I'd like to see less. I'll bet he would have made the tackle on the pic six. 

I know it was only one game but Cannon looked like the same exact player he was last year. So did McGuire. So we know what we have in them. I had very low expectations for Holmes but he did alright yesterday. 

• Upvote 2

6 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

I think Kyron Brown actually got the start last night.  He may be further up the depth chart than we thought..

Don't forget that we signed a CB off waivers that was not ready to play yet. Meander played safety.

3 CBs played 3 plays or less.

Two Olinemen did not suit up either. Just a reminder that we do have a little more depth at these spots than people think. 

Should make for a better 2nd team, I guess.

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, Drums said:

I know it was only one game but Cannon looked like the same exact player he was last year. So did McGuire. So we know what we have in them. I had very low expectations for Holmes but he did alright yesterday. 

McGuire seems to catch but neither can find any space to run. 

On his first 3 runs of his life, Holmes already looks more dangerous than them

He seemed to be open every time he leaked out but Falk didn't find him always. He does have a natural feel. Didn't seem overwhelmed. 

• Upvote 2

As above...    re: Cannon...   it's about his value as an gunner, THEN as an emrgency backup RB.

How the staff evaluates the teams needs..  idk

can others get downfield and make a 53 yd punt be a 53 yd NET punt... and are better out of the backfield...  ?  havent seen that.

3 hours ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

What I noticed from last night's game was that McGuire was getting carries late in the 4th quarter. Not Cannon. That's a REALLY bad sign for Mcguire. 

McGuire is just bad and can't help in special teams. He pitter patters when a hole opens up and looked clumsy on his TD catch. I think he is as good as gone. 

Cannon may not be an every down back but like you said he brings value on special teams.  

you can knock McGuire down with a feather.  Cannon runs into defenders instead of around

1 hour ago, slats said:

Cannon's hands scare me as a RB and as a returner

• Sympathy 1