Extremely Quick Takes

KRL

48 minutes ago, NYs Stepchild said:

Don't forget that we signed a CB off waivers that was not ready to play yet. Meander played safety.

3 CBs played 3 plays or less.

Two Olinemen did not suit up either. Just a reminder that we do have a little more depth at these spots than people think. 

Should make for a better 2nd team, I guess.

Good point.  I don't know how much I'd expect out of that CB though.   Alex Brown wasn't even an UDFA - he was a try-out player that the Niners kept.  They cut Damontre Moore to sign him and then cut him in July - signing Damontre Moore back.  He was with the Eagles for a couple of weeks.  He is a smaller guy.  Fast, but his agility drills were fairly pitiful.  He is very unlikely to make the roster.  Maybe the practice squad. 

- Trenton Cannon is going to have a hard time making the team as an RB.  But
his ability as a gunner on special teams may save him.

If he continues getting tripped up by that dreaded single blade of grass I don't see him being much of a factor at any position.

- Parry Nickerson, close isn't good enough when playing CB.  He was "close" to
knocking away a couple of balls that turned into completions.  And he was
"close" to tackling the WR on that slant that turned into a TD.  But when you're
fighting to make the team that's not good enough.

can you say Kyle Wilson 2.0 

•  
  • Thumb Down 1

cannon is 1st team ST as gunner and KR...  if he can be replaced at those 2 spots, he wont make team, if 1 player, whomever from wherevere on the squad can replace those 2 things at an equal level, then he's gone, otherwise he stays...

am not saying i didnt notice his falling down... if you see the game thread youlll see

Just re-watched the game, and here's my opinion for what it's worth. 

Dortch had a real nice night.  He makes the team.  looks like a natural punt returner, and made a few plays from scrimmage.  

McGuire, who I like, looks like he is gone.  Brought nothing to the table.

IMO Cannon should make the team.  Had two real nice plays as a gunner.  Had a very good KO return which was called back on a penalty.  Also had a nice catch and run.  Showed some wiggle on it, but was also called back for holding.

Cashman is a player.  He is going to be who they wanted Lee to be.

OL looked very good in pass protection, but not so much in the run game.

I know a lot of people like Toth, didn't have a good game at all.  If he isn't careful Ryan Anderson #60 is going to steal his roster spot.  Came in, in the 4th quarter and was flat backing people left and right.  Might be a guy to keep an eye on.

Another guy I had high hopes for, Parry Nickerson, was getting beat consistently.  Not good DB's in general looked poor.

A couple of surprise players on the DL who IMO looked very good.  #91 Bronson Kaufusi, guy brought a lot of heat.  Didn't get there but he will IMO.  #94 Folorunso Fatukasi , man that's a mouth full, moving forward he'll be know as Fo Fat.  LOL.  Guy gets off the ball in a flash.  good push in the middle of the line.

Polite was OK.  Brought a bit of heat, was used in coverage a few times.  Looked to me like he was over thinking and hesitating a bit.  Hopefully that will come with time.

Edoga looked real good in pass protection.  Wesco, though he didn't do anything in the passing game, was doing what he is paid for very well.  He really drives people off the ball.

LOL Holmes the Aussie might have been the best RB.  We'll see how that works out.

Luvu is all over the field.  Like the kid.  

That's all I got.

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

8 hours ago, flgreen said:

LOL Holmes the Aussie might have been the best RB.  We'll see how that works out.

Luvu is all over the field.  Like the kid.  

That's all I got.

I'd like to see Holmes get some 2nd team carries. Cannon and McGuire looked bad but also it didnt seem they had even a c**thair of running room.

Quick Takes?  1.  The upcoming Tool album will probably be considered a disappointment to anybody who waited 13 years for new music.  2.  Check the variety of the potatoes you buy if you end up with gluey or gummy mashed potatoes.  3.  Quentin Tarantino could probably use another scriptwriter or director to edit his dialog sometimes.  4.  The PAC-12 is just going through a phase right now and suffers from bad leadership and demographic shifts in some of it's major markets.

Anyway.  I figured you guys had last night's game covered.

My takes are this team with Gase and Darnold will be in the playoff race early and often.

But they won’t be able to get far until about another year or two when Douglas gets a chance to shore up the oline, corner and pass rusher situation. 

The combo of Darnold, Gase and Williams will be a thing of beauty for years to come. It has that feeling of the Rams where McVay doesn’t have to worry about the D but still connects with both sides as a HC. All the players, especially the stars connect really well with Gase. 

• Upvote 2

22 hours ago, PepPep said:

It looked to me like roster bubble guys got majority of snaps last night. I'm going to keep the RB position out of this b/c it was such a clusterf**ck. Cannon couldn't make any headway on the ground but played specials well, McGuire couldn't make any headway on the ground but caught some passes, and Valentine Holmes, who nobody considered a bubble guy at all caught passes and ran the ball like an NFL vet. I don't know what to make of this group. 

Here are roster bubble guys who helped themselves last night:

-Luvu 

-Burgess

-K.Brown

-Kaufusi 

-Basham

-L.Falk

-G.Dortch

-Bellamy

Here are roster bubble guys who hurt their chances last night:

-Toth

-Nickerson

-Fatukasi 

-Catanzaro 

-Langi 

-D.Webb 

-Wint 

-T.White 

*Sidenote: I know a lot of people think Shepherd should be cut. And yes, I expected more from him last night. However, he had his nose up in all the action on running plays and was breaking down that o-line. I thought he looked ok and Jet fans should still give him a couple more pre-season games to show something before cutting bait. 

What  saw from Nickerson is fixable-he was around the ball, just depends how fast he can fix those issues