AB threatens to quit football over helmet issue

1 hour ago, HawkeyeJet said:

He's legit bipolar right? Gotta be. I'm not poking fun of mental illness, but I would be shocked if he doesn't suffer from something along those lines.  

he's definitely mentally ill and let's not go down that path.  leave that part out of it because it ain't right to get into.

• Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, static14 said:

This has to be some s**t they’re pulling for Hard Knocks right? I mean this can’t be a real thing can it?

If you were AB, would you willingly tank your public credibility and future endorsement potential for ratings for Hard Knocks?  I say no way.  He's really that batsh-t crazy.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, nycdan said:

I didn't realize how much I missed Terrell Owens and Chad Johnson until just now.

That’s funny, but true. 

I swear, the othe day I was reading the cold feet story about him. I thought to myself, how did this guy go from a relatively low key under the radar guy, to the ‘18 version of Ochoa cinco combined with Terrell Owens?

Jeez this guy is a whack job....

• Upvote 1

No way in hell the NFL approves of him wearing that old helmet with all of the concussion protocols put into place with this CTE stuff. 

This is gonna be fun to watch. Why is it that some of these top WRs are insane? 

14 hours ago, RoadFan said:

The helmet thing is not bipolar.

Almost impossible to become a successful professional athlete with bipolar disorder.  Their travel demands and hours are not conducive to managing the illness.  The episodes are debilitating, and knock people off healthy routines.  

If you are right and it is something mental... it is more OCD.

Think it's simpler that that.

Hes just an attention whore, diva, who thinks the world revolves around him.

Raiiderettes like @Raideraholic feed him.  Waiting for him to appear to tell us it's the NFLs fault

15 hours ago, RoadFan said:

Almost impossible to become a successful professional athlete with bipolar disorder.  Their travel demands and hours are not conducive to managing the illness.  The episodes are debilitating, and knock people off healthy routines.  

There are plenty of professional athletes, and other people with hectic schedules and jobs, that have bi polar.  

18 minutes ago, Butterfield said:

There are plenty of professional athletes, and other people with hectic schedules and jobs, that have bi polar.  

OK.  I exaggerated some.   But crazy schedules do make it difficult to manage the illness.

And for whatever reason, any time a person exhibits behavior that they feel to be not normal... it gets lumped into being labeled bipolar.   A pet-peeve of mine because the vast majority of people seem to have no idea what the illness actually is.

We're way off-topic now... back to football, yeah?

NFL sees no basis for Antonio Brown’s effort to wear discontinued helmet

Posted by Mike Florio on August 10, 2019, 12:04 AM EDT

gettyimages-1074343450-e1565409801992.jp
Getty Images

As the dust settles on what became an unexpectedly crazy Friday afternoon, some clarity has emerged regarding Raiders receiver Antonio Brown‘s effort to continue to wear his helmet of choice.

Per a source with knowledge of the situation, Brown hopes to continue to wear the Schutt AiR Advantage helmet that he has worn throughout his NFL career. Because Brown’s helmet is more than 10 years old, the helmet cannot be certified for further use. Although the AiR Advantage was not on the list of 11 models that the league and NFL Players Association agreed to ban as of 2019, Schutt no longer makes that helmet. Thus, Brown can’t simply trade in his old helmet for a new one.

In 2014, Schutt described the AiR Advantage as a lightweight model that became “very popular with skill position players, who want to be as fast as they can.” Schutt explained that it stopped making the AiR Advantage in 2011 because “current helmet technology had moved past it.”

The AiR Advantage used traditional foam padding, which per Schutt “does not perform as well as the [Thermoplastic Urethane] Cushioning” used in its other helmets.

“TPU Cushioning absorbs significantly more impact across a wider variety of temperatures than any other helmet on the field,” Schutt explained in 2014. “Third party testing by an independent, certified helmet testing facility has proven that, three years in a row. The AiR Advantage had lived out its useful life as a product and was discontinued when something better was developed.”

With no new AiR Advantage helmets available and with Brown’s helmet past the window for annual certification, his only option is to find a new helmet.

Regardless of whether Brown understands these nuances, he disagrees with the league’s position strongly enough to pursue a grievance. The grievance hearing happened on Friday, with an independent arbitrator, union representatives, and a representative for Brown present. Brown participated by phone.

While the arbitrator could, in theory, decide to allow Brown to use the helmet, the NFL sees no basis for deviation from procedures to which both the league and the NFLPA have agreed.

This specific issue dates bate to April, per the source. Both the Raiders and Schutt have worked with Brown to find acceptable alternative helmets. To date, Brown has yet to find another helmet that he is willing to use.

Unless the arbitrator gives Brown a dispensation, he cannot practice or play with an unapproved helmet. If he refuses to practice or to play, he’ll be in breach of his contract, he’ll be suspectible to forfeiture of all or part of the $1 million signing bonus he received in March from the Raiders, and more than $30 million in guarantees money will likely be voided. Ultimately, if he chooses not to play, he will not receive game checks that, based on his 2019 salary of $14.625 million, amount to more than $860,000 per week.

If Brown continues to stay away from the team, if the Raiders send him a “five-day letter,” and if Brown doesn’t return, the Raiders can shut him down for the full season.

Given those basic facts, it’s hard to imagine Brown not showing up and playing even if he loses the grievance. He may not like any other helmets, but he has more than $30 million over the next two years riding on his willingness to show up for work, wearing an approved helmet. Even if his production dips because of a new helmet, the Raiders will still be on the hook for his fully-guaranteed payments through 2021.

Hopefully, someone will explain the situation to him in those terms. He doesn’t have to play well to get paid. He just has to play. And even if he suddenly becomes a mediocre player due to helmet discomfort, he still gets paid. If he doesn’t show up, he doesn’t get paid.

This seems at its core like another effort by a guy to whom no one ever says “no” to get his way. It worked for years in Pittsburgh, and it may work for years to come in Oakland. When it comes to the NFL and its hard-and-fast, collectively-bargained rules regarding helmets, Brown quite likely will hear a loud and clear “no,” for the first time in a long time.

17 hours ago, RoadFan said:

Brandon marshal used to play for us

I think there is a bit of something else in play.  Just based on my observations as a complete outsider, it feels like Antonio believe the NFL wants/needs him more than vice versa, and that his threat to not play will force their hand because how could they go on without their 'best' WR on the field? He seems completely blind to the possibility that his foot-stomping won't achieve his goal of not only getting to wear his old helmet, but also making the NFL acknowledge that he is 'special'.

When the 5-day letter arrives, he will lash out at the Raiders and that's pretty much going to be the end of the relationship.  If the Raiders are lucky, he'll come back and play mad to prove a point.  Just as possible is he pulls a Bell and takes the year off.  And honestly, I can't see anyone outside of Oakland giving a rat's a&& either way.

• Upvote 1

34 minutes ago, BornJetsFan1983 said:

Brandon marshal used to play for us

Borderline personality disorder.  More commonly diagnosed in women.  Different symptoms.  Different behavior. 

But he has done well since his diagnosis.  Good for him. That is not easily treatable.  In fact,  many mental health professionals used to avoid taking patients with it because it was so difficult to treat.

18 hours ago, HawkeyeJet said:

He's legit bipolar right? Gotta be. I'm not poking fun of mental illness, but I would be shocked if he doesn't suffer from something along those lines.  

I'm no psychiatrist by any means but i also think there is definitely something going on there. Seems very narcissistic and egotistical to me. 

2 hours ago, BroadwayBen said:

I'm no psychiatrist by any means but i also think there is definitely something going on there. Seems very narcissistic and egotistical to me. 

Personally I think EVERY NFL fan is sick of this guy & wishes he'd just go away. No one is bigger than the game, no one. Before AB there was Jerry Rice & now Hopkins & Thomas, let's hope the next great WR isn't Nkeal Harry ?.

• Upvote 2

11 minutes ago, dbatesman said:

extremely messed up to diagnose someone’s mental state from afar, but this is classic apotemnophilia, pretty obvious really. JMO

Wouldn't that fit the frozen foot issue better? 

(and yes, I did have to look it up before replying)

I dislike Brown so much. When I ran into him randomly in Pittsburgh back in May, I didn’t give 2 sh*ts or even acknowledge him because I have ZERO respect for players like him. Can’t beliebe people actually wanted him on this team.

Many players aren’t “choir boys” nor should that be the requirement to be a Jet. Especially because beggars can’t be choosers and we have been perennial trash. But players like AB do not belong anywhere in the league and I could not accept the Jets getting a player like this. I’d hate him and boycott it the whole time. 

On 8/9/2019 at 5:14 PM, HawkeyeJet said:

I always brushed off the weird stuff that came from him as just another eccentric diva WR. The stuff that's come from him since the end of last season through the off season definitely looks like some pretty serious mental health issues. I hope Brandon Marshall gives him a call 

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1