AB threatens to quit football over helmet issue

[Black Helicopter warning]

AB may be realizing he has another problem right now.  If he plays and isn't a top-5 WR, and JuJu is over in PIT, then the debate about how much of AB' success over the past few years was him vs. the rest of the Steelers is going to burn hot.  Mostly he gets the benefit of the doubt, but guys like Michael Thomas, DeAndre Hopkins, Julio Jones, OBJ and a few others could make the league pretty much forget all about AB in a single season if he squeaks out 800 yards and 6 TDs.  And it will be much worse if JJS puts up AB-like numbers and AB doesn't.

So is this helmet thing really about not playing, or about establishing a narrative to explain why he didn't have a All-Pro season without having to own it or point the finger squarely at his team.  Because speculation that his success was more about having Ben, Bell and the O-Line than his own fantasticness will be unbearable to a guy like this.  If that starts to happen by mid-season, then the circus out there will get much more entertaining.

Normally I'd say that's crazy talk, but given the way the last week has played out, I think almost anything could be in play.

• WTF? 1

1 hour ago, nycdan said:

[Black Helicopter warning]

AB may be realizing he has another problem right now.  If he plays and isn't a top-5 WR, and JuJu is over in PIT, then the debate about how much of AB' success over the past few years was him vs. the rest of the Steelers is going to burn hot.  Mostly he gets the benefit of the doubt, but guys like Michael Thomas, DeAndre Hopkins, Julio Jones, OBJ and a few others could make the league pretty much forget all about AB in a single season if he squeaks out 800 yards and 6 TDs.  And it will be much worse if JJS puts up AB-like numbers and AB doesn't.

So is this helmet thing really about not playing, or about establishing a narrative to explain why he didn't have a All-Pro season without having to own it or point the finger squarely at his team.  Because speculation that his success was more about having Ben, Bell and the O-Line than his own fantasticness will be unbearable to a guy like this.  If that starts to happen by mid-season, then the circus out there will get much more entertaining.

Normally I'd say that's crazy talk, but given the way the last week has played out, I think almost anything could be in play.

You might be on to something.  No way this just a helmet issue.

• Haha 1

Forgetting for a moment the entire ridiculousness of this concept to begin with, I think the thing AB has to realize is that he's really going to have no one taking his side on this one.  While NFLPA has taken on some questionable defenses of players at times in the past, just for the sake of it, I don't see any way they will go to bat for him on this one.  This is a policy they have been in full favor of in the past, and the entire focus is improvement of player safety, which is the biggest issue out there for both the league and players.  While they might avoid taking a stance against him, just to avoid any players vs players type situation, I can't see any way they'll truly be backing him either, beyond some meaningless "we understand his position" type statement.  Anything beyond that would basically be conceding that individual players should determine meaningful safety at their own discretion, which definitely wouldn't go over well for anyone's sake.

6 hours ago, Scoop24 said:

@Raideraholic you good man? What 4.3 40 speed receiver you got to replace AB? 

AB responds!

"While I disagree with the arbitrator's decision, I'm working on getting back to full health and looking forward to rejoining my teammates on the field. I'm excited about this season appreciate all the concerns about my feet ?!” #AlwaysAFight #Represent #itsbiggerthanme

https://twitter.com/AB84/status/1161...013004803?s=19
Raiders have at least two Wr's faster than A Brown .   Jj Nelson 4.27 and Rico Gafford a converted CB might be the fastest guy in the NFL today.( probably looking at another year on the Raiders practice squad.   Not ready this year but someone to remember down the road.

No, he doesn't  threaten to quit. It's' all made up. Jocks have no power. They can be replaced  at the drop of a hat. No jock would be stupid enough to let 300 million  people make fun of him over a helmet. He'll wear what ever they tell him to wear.

Lol No, he didn't  get someone to try and paint  it for him. People believe any story  they are told. 

• Upvote 1

27 minutes ago, flgreen said:

Yeah, this helmet issue is insane.  Almost as crazy as a player, at the top of his game, wanting to retire because the NFL made him sell his bar.

:)

Dating yourself with this post buddy. ?

I wonder how many of the young guys here know the story?

On 8/10/2019 at 2:21 PM, dbatesman said:

extremely messed up to diagnose someone’s mental state from afar, but this is classic apotemnophilia, pretty obvious really. JMO

Brown believes the new certified helmet protrudes out and interferes with his vision as he tries to catch the football.

Surely you jest.  It's a clear case of  Scotomaphobia, if ever I witnessed one.

• Upvote 1

On 8/12/2019 at 11:27 PM, Philc1 said:

Brown filed a grievance as is his right in the cba, lost and is now headed back to practice 

so what is the big big story again?

The one you just described + the part where he threatened to quit and take his ball home with him. 

Thats all.