Joe Haeg - OG/OT Colts

BCJet

Not sure if anyone is familiar with this guy but he was a starter at both RT and RG for the colts in 2016 (14 games) and has been their swing OG/OT ever since they did the mass OL upgrade.  He was Wentz's LT at NDSU and is a

He's a starter in the league and provides versatility but is also in a contract year, has a $2 mil cap hit and the colts wont be able to keep him next season.  He could be a trade target (esp with Hogan knowing him from Indy) and be a potential 2020+ RT if shell doesnt solidify himself or if we consider moving him to RG.  Hes an athletic OL who has shown at least some strength to hold up at guard.  Could be a good trade target at cut downs.

9 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

I liked this guy coming into his draft year, like the versatility.   Indy would have to have a promising guy to take his place though.

They hit on Braden Smith who was projected to be a guard, but is there RT, in the same draft as when they got Q. Nelson.  Then this guy Mark Glowinski has become a good guard so they dont have a starting spot for Haeg anymore.  

We'd have to hope they find a young swing OT who can make Haeg expendable.

• Upvote 1

23 minutes ago, BCJet said:

Not sure if anyone is familiar with this guy but he was a starter at both RT and RG for the colts in 2016 (14 games) and has been their swing OG/OT ever since they did the mass OL upgrade.  He was Wentz's LT at NDSU and is a

He's a starter in the league and provides versatility but is also in a contract year, has a $2 mil cap hit and the colts wont be able to keep him next season.  He could be a trade target (esp with Hogan knowing him from Indy) and be a potential 2020+ RT if shell doesnt solidify himself or if we consider moving him to RG.  Hes an athletic OL who has shown at least some strength to hold up at guard.  Could be a good trade target at cut downs.

I liked him as a prospect coming out but admittedly have not followed his pro career. With starting experience and youth I wouldn't be against it if JD views him as a starter.

I do think Edoga has the backup LT and RT positions covered and he just turned 22. 

2 hours ago, Beerfish said:

I liked this guy coming into his draft year, like the versatility.   Indy would have to have a promising guy to take his place though.

2 hours ago, RobR said:

I liked him as a prospect coming out

I think most of us had him inserted into our mocks routinely that year. I swear, when 3/4 of us can agree on a guy, we've rarely been wrong. 

• Upvote 2

Agreed, he was talked about a lot on the board and was an excellent value in the 5th round.  High character kid too.  He was actually taken 2 picks before shell.

I wonder if shell could be better suited to guard.  Hes a good run blocker and is built very similarly to Osmele but struggles with edge rushers so he might be able to kick inside and be a more athletic guard.