..should Sam ride the bench during the rest of preseason ? ? ?

kelly

Heading into his second year in the NFL, how much should New York Jets quarterback Sam Darnold play during the preseason?

Football’s back! The NFL’s preseason is underway and the New York Jets’ opener will take place Thursday night against the New York Giants in the annual preseason Metlife Bowl. Although this won’t be the only time the Jets will see the Giants this year, as they play Big Blue in Week 10.

NFL teams use the preseason to develop their young players and to see who is worthy of keeping. It’s the best place for an unproven player to show his worth and find his way onto an NFL roster. You won’t see much of roster locks on the field, for the most part, especially veterans during the preseason.Sam Darnold is nowhere near veteran status yet, but he’s locked in as the Jets’ starting quarterback for the 2019 season. He flashed the ability to become the team’s franchise quarterback when he was ranked among the best quarterbacks in football over the final month of the season.

Between Weeks 14-17 this season, #Jets Sam Darnold finished with a 87.7 overall grade which ranked 1st among QB's with a minimum of 100 dropbacks. #JetUp

That being said, how much playing time should the second-year quarterback get in the upcoming preseason?

There are advantages and disadvantages to playing him throughout the preseason.As great as it would be to see the Jets beat the Giants in the preseason opener, it would feel a lot better to see them win when it counts; Week 10 of the regular season. As for utilizing Darnold and running their offense, the Jets should keep their cards to themselves.There’s no point in having Darnold on the field for more than a few drives on Thursday. The Giants are the only team on the Jets’ preseason schedule that they will also meet in the regular season. If the Jets want to get Darnold some practice runs in the new offense, it should be during those weeks.

Coach Adam Gase knows what he has with Darnold as his quarterback. Outside of the dress rehearsal in the third week of the preseason, the Jets shouldn’t utilize him much. We all know what Darnold can do. He doesn’t need to play more than a quarter in Weeks 1-2, and no more than 2-3 quarters in Week 3. Period.Imagine how foolish the Jets’ coaching staff would look if Darnold or any locked-in starter went down with an injury during a preseason game? The Jets should keep Darnold’s usage to a minimum.It has been reported that newly acquired star running back Le’Veon Bell won’t be playing in the preseason opener. It’s clear Gase and the rest of the coaching staff want to play it safe. And that’s exactly how it should be.

Outside of the third week, Darnold shouldn’t be seeing the field much. The Jets should take the preseason to give Davis Webb and Luke Falk a chance to win the backup job from Trevor Siemian.The Jets played Darnold too much in the preseason last year because they didn’t have enough quarterbacks on the roster. With four QB’s heading into the preseason, Darnold shouldn’t be seeing the field much. He’s got nothing to prove, and a whole lot to lose. Let him relax on the sidelines until September.

>     https://thejetpress.com/2019/08/08/new-york-jets-much-sam-darnold-play-preseason/

• WTF? 1

Football players play football. Sam still has a lot to learn & running him a series or two is no big deal as long as he's always with the starters. 

I still can't believe Rex played Sanchez in a preseason 4th quarter, omg, what a freaking moron! I never thought Sanchez was ever more than an average QB, but this organization did that kid no favors.

• Upvote 4

Honestly, if I were Adam Gase I would have BENCHED Sammy for the Giants game. Get him playing time in weeks 2 and 3 of the preseason. Probably not as much as what the average NFL team does with their QB, but he would have gotten some playing time to shake off the off-season cobwebs.

In the Giants game, Sammy got 100% vanilla looks, basic defense all the way. There was really no value for him personally playing that game. Even him by his own admission, admitted that. Those teams will face each other during the season so they were not going to tip their hand.

Maybe that's a little too conservative? I'm not sure. But Sammy is the franchise already. So playing him a virtually 100% meaningless game is very dangerous.

Just do it the way it's always been in pre-season

5 minutes ago, slats said:

Not true, Jets also play the Eagles. 

I'd play Sam 2-3 series this week, a half + maybe the first series of the second half against the Saints (which could be a high scoring game and good experience for him), and then absolute zero week four. 

Exactly. Just do it the way it's always been in pre-season. Why make it weird with silly approaches

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, kelly said:

Heading into his second year in the NFL, how much should New York Jets quarterback Sam Darnold play during the preseason?

Football’s back! The NFL’s preseason is underway and the New York Jets’ opener will take place Thursday night against the New York Giants in the annual preseason Metlife Bowl. Although this won’t be the only time the Jets will see the Giants this year, as they play Big Blue in Week 10.

NFL teams use the preseason to develop their young players and to see who is worthy of keeping. It’s the best place for an unproven player to show his worth and find his way onto an NFL roster. You won’t see much of roster locks on the field, for the most part, especially veterans during the preseason.Sam Darnold is nowhere near veteran status yet, but he’s locked in as the Jets’ starting quarterback for the 2019 season. He flashed the ability to become the team’s franchise quarterback when he was ranked among the best quarterbacks in football over the final month of the season.

Between Weeks 14-17 this season, #Jets Sam Darnold finished with a 87.7 overall grade which ranked 1st among QB's with a minimum of 100 dropbacks. #JetUp

That being said, how much playing time should the second-year quarterback get in the upcoming preseason?

There are advantages and disadvantages to playing him throughout the preseason.As great as it would be to see the Jets beat the Giants in the preseason opener, it would feel a lot better to see them win when it counts; Week 10 of the regular season. As for utilizing Darnold and running their offense, the Jets should keep their cards to themselves.There’s no point in having Darnold on the field for more than a few drives on Thursday. The Giants are the only team on the Jets’ preseason schedule that they will also meet in the regular season. If the Jets want to get Darnold some practice runs in the new offense, it should be during those weeks.

Coach Adam Gase knows what he has with Darnold as his quarterback. Outside of the dress rehearsal in the third week of the preseason, the Jets shouldn’t utilize him much. We all know what Darnold can do. He doesn’t need to play more than a quarter in Weeks 1-2, and no more than 2-3 quarters in Week 3. Period.Imagine how foolish the Jets’ coaching staff would look if Darnold or any locked-in starter went down with an injury during a preseason game? The Jets should keep Darnold’s usage to a minimum.It has been reported that newly acquired star running back Le’Veon Bell won’t be playing in the preseason opener. It’s clear Gase and the rest of the coaching staff want to play it safe. And that’s exactly how it should be.

Outside of the third week, Darnold shouldn’t be seeing the field much. The Jets should take the preseason to give Davis Webb and Luke Falk a chance to win the backup job from Trevor Siemian.The Jets played Darnold too much in the preseason last year because they didn’t have enough quarterbacks on the roster. With four QB’s heading into the preseason, Darnold shouldn’t be seeing the field much. He’s got nothing to prove, and a whole lot to lose. Let him relax on the sidelines until September.

>     https://thejetpress.com/2019/08/08/new-york-jets-much-sam-darnold-play-preseason/

It is a new offense.  It is good for him to face some starting defenses from other teams

• Upvote 1

I might sit him for Game 2 and let the coaches flush out the battles for QB3, backup WRs, OL, etc. but then I'd definitely bring Sam back for Game 3 with Le'Veon Bell for a 2-3 series.....maybe just the 1st Quarter depending upon how many offensive snaps the Jets have.

I understand protecting guys like the franchise QB and the RB who will likely have 400 touches this year, but you can't drive a car for the first time at the Indy 500.  You need to have taken it out of the garage for a quick spin beforehand at least once or twice.  JMHO.

6 hours ago, Peace Frog said:

Sam should play the first quarter and one series in the third quarter this week. 

Next week whole first half and a series or 2 in the third quarter. 

Last game the equipment staff hides his helmet. 

Play the 1st quarter, skip the 2nd and come in for one series in the third quarter against backups trying to make the squad? That's just about the craziest idea I ever heard....and damned dangerous. 

• Upvote 2

On 8/10/2019 at 5:42 PM, Jetster said:

Football players play football. Sam still has a lot to learn & running him a series or two is no big deal as long as he's always with the starters. 

I still can't believe Rex played Sanchez in a preseason 4th quarter, omg, what a freaking moron! I never thought Sanchez was ever more than an average QB, but this organization did that kid no favors.

Hard to defend the move to play Sanchez but I do think a little context is illuminating. At the time, Rex and Idzik were at the height of their cold war and Rex was trying to demonstrate that Sanchez was the better choice to start the season.

Still not a smart move.

Sam needs the reps.  

He’s still young, hasn’t played the position long, didn’t attend the football camps in HS till he had to, or work with a private QB coach till before the draft.

He’s not a delicate flower, although the coaches and front office held him out longer than they had to last season,  they were over cautious in protecting a player they valued.  Seems it was a wise decision. 

• Upvote 2

On 8/10/2019 at 7:16 PM, jetspenguin said:

Play the 1st quarter, skip the 2nd and come in for one series in the third quarter against backups trying to make the squad? That's just about the craziest idea I ever heard....and damned dangerous. 

Sanchez

On 8/10/2019 at 11:42 AM, Jetster said:

Though we will never really know, but I think that was a result of the dis-function of the Jets management back then. I think Idzik wanted Geno to start and Rex wanted Sanchez. Geno did not play well in that game and Rex probably wanted Sanchez to come in and pull the game out and use it as a reason to start him. 

It was pure idiocy.

On 8/10/2019 at 1:05 PM, Peace Frog said:

Sam should play the first quarter and one series in the third quarter this week. 

Next week whole first half and a series or 2 in the third quarter. 

Last game the equipment staff hides his helmet. 

Wait what? You want him to come back in against scrubs in the 2nd half? With the 3rd string Online blocking?

Are you a Pays fan?

1 minute ago, ECURB said:

Wait what? You want him to come back in against scrubs in the 2nd half? With the 3rd string Online blocking?

Are you a Pays fan?

Is that what I said? 

My hypo is that when Sam is in there, so is his protection and all his weapons. 

I’m not Rex with Mark. 

• Upvote 1