Training Camp Tweet (8/11)

kdels62

5 minutes ago, Barry McCockinner said:

Off the top of your head, who is the best nickel back in the NFL?

It's a very difficult position to play. You don't have the sideline to work with and you can barely touch WR's anymore. Every nickel back gets beat at a higher rate than outside CB's do. They're always hated by the fans. It's just a tough spot.

The league wants offense to win.

Where is ray mickens when you need him?

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 1

1 minute ago, JetsRay said:

Worse than that is the perpetual play by play scrutiny in training camp.   If Leo doesn't get a sack on every play, trade him.  Poole doesn't come up with a pass block or an INT on every play, our slot corner sucks.  It's camp, the offensive player wins sometimes, the defensive player wins sometimes.  Players in this league would trade the farm for are getting beat or losing their battle every day in practice, if they actually read other team camp reports.  

Fans have tunnel vision on this stuff, so annoying.

fwiw I do think our corners, and our defense overall is pretty weak. I just think the nickel position gets unfairly picked on no matter who is playing it. It's so hard in todays NFL to slow guys down in the middle of the field.

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 1

11 minutes ago, Barry McCockinner said:

It's a very difficult position to play. You don't have the sideline to work with and you can barely touch WR's anymore. Every nickel back gets beat at a higher rate than outside CB's do. They're always hated by the fans. It's just a tough spot.

Bryce Callahan is the best nickelback in the league. Chris Harris and Desmond King are probably also in the top 5 at the position. That was off the top of my head. Hopefully Dortch is just gonna be good but Poole has never been a great coverage guy and that’s why I worry. 

We have an elite interior coverage guy in Adams so that’s nice. 

5 minutes ago, kdels62 said:

Bryce Callahan is the best nickelback in the league. Chris Harris and Desmond King are probably also in the top 5 at the position. That was off the top of my head. Hopefully Dortch is just gonna be good but Poole has never been a great coverage guy and that’s why I worry. 

We have an elite interior coverage guy in Adams so that’s nice. 

So the Bears just let the best nickelback in the league walk and replaced him with Buster Skrine?

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 1

13 minutes ago, Barry McCockinner said:

This is why you have to mix zone D in the middle, and man on the outside.  This can become confusing to install, but when ran properly by the D it is also confusing to the QB, the 09, 10 Rex Ryan Jets D had a TON of smart veterans who could execute this, and confused Rivers, Palmer, Manning, and Brady in 2 playoff years.  Unfortunately the Pats figured out how to attack this, and just about every other defense philosophy known to man except the one that has 4 pass rushing beasts up front.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

56 minutes ago, kdels62 said:

Trade or injury?

Even though Cashman has an injury history we are still very deep at ILB, and if we were going to make a trade for OL or CB Williamson and Leo are the two pieces that have trade value from a positional depth standpoint.

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

1 hour ago, kdels62 said:

3/3!!!!!

Strange that Cat was brought back at all after such a strong showing Bertolet had last year. I wonder what impact he had on the Jets front office to warrent him being brought back and the only kicker in camp. Equally as strange that Cat retired as opposed to being cut. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Barry McCockinner said:

fwiw I do think our corners (are weak)

Agree.

and our defense overall is pretty weak.

Not sure where you see that outside of CB.  Front 7 is talented AND pretty deep.  Edge rusher will continue to be a "show me" position and we'll have to count on guys like Jenkins, Copeland, Luvu and rookie Polite to generate a rush from the outside, but that's really the only question in my mind.  Leo, Henry Anderson, McClendon, Quinnen are solid on DLine.....CJ Mosely and Avery Williamson are excellent and I even like the depth behind them with Hewitt, Anthony Wint and even rookie Blake Cashman.  I might be missing something but this looks like the best front 7 we've had in a decade.  Include Jamal and we've got an exceptional mix of both talent and youth.  Get me one CB and a stud Edge guy if Polite doesn't work out and we're the '85 Bears!!! lol

• Upvote 3

Just now, CanadienJetsFan said:

So if a kicker isn’t perfect while practicing , he’s labelled as having a bad day. Got it

No, but when he misses from the 35 yard line on the first day he shows up with an opportunity to instill confidence in the kicking game.....yeah, concerning and not good.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, jetstream23 said:

Get me one CB and a stud Edge guy if Polite doesn't work out and we're the '85 Bears!!! lol

Do you want anything else with that? Like an apple turnover?

This defence has a long way to go  before they’re considered “good”

Maybe Williams( the coach) can be the difference maker 

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, jetstream23 said:

No, but when he misses from the 35 yard line on the first day he shows up with an opportunity to instill confidence in the kicking game.....yeah, concerning and not good.

Aren’t they bringing in a few more to try out? There’s still plenty of time to straighten out the kicking position 

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, CanadienJetsFan said:

Do you want anything else with that? Like an apple turnover?

This defence has a long way to go  before they’re considered “good”

Maybe Williams( the coach) can be the difference maker 

I do love me some apple turnovers.

Let's see what this group looks like on the field.  I'm optimistic and actually think the D will be better than the O this year.