Training Camp Tweets (8/12)

kdels62

When you see how DL like Foley and Shepherd, with Quinnen, Henry and McClendon, can perform, parting with Leo and his cap space to get a better corner is a no brainer.  

He may not get the Jets Ramsey.  Maybe a couple of years of Peterson packed with another player or draft pick.  

There is obviously a tension here between going for the playoffs this year and making progress with an obviously deficient roster that Douglas and Gase inherited.  

Gase as interim GM obviously wanted nothing to do with Leggett and Lee and dumped them.  Douglas as GM now controls the roster, so he would have been involved to release Derrick Jones.  

I would be curious to see how Lee, Leggett and Jones play during the rest of the preseason and end up on Opening Day.  

I'm the furthest thing there is from a Gase fan, but the Lee move has no relation to anything going on today.  By all accounts, the entire team wanted Lee gone throughout the offseason.  Gase clearly wasn't a fan, but reports also suggested that Williams wanted little to do with him, and the prior front office had been actively shopping their very own first-round pick before they were fired.  The only real difference was that when Macc was arguing with the Chiefs over getting a 5th rounder instead of a 6th, Gase conceded.  All of this after the position had one established starter returning, and still been filled this offseason with a record-breaking FA signing, a draft pick, and the return of a depth guy who started in Lee's place last year and showed no drop-off in play.

Regardless of what you think about that sequence of events, it shares no link to a move made by the new GM related to a late round pick of his predecessor, buried at a position despite the lack of talent it has, and has shown nothing on the field.  I'll admit that it was a bit surprising to see them not to bring more CB depth in with the move, but as a general rule if the team thinks so little of a player that they don't think they merit a spot on a 90-man roster, keeping them around isn't in the best interests of the team nor the player.

The team absolutely needs some more help at CB, and it's not like they don't know that, but clearly they thought Jones didn't provide that to them.  Whether they make any of the other moves some have suggested, or any other options that might come up between trades or cuts, clearly his presence wasn't going to influence them one way or another.

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

1 minute ago, JiF said:

I specifically know without a shadow a doubt and 100% confidence the Jags would laugh their asses off at the idea of trading Jalen Ramsey straight up for Leonard Williams.

It has been mentioned that Tom Coughlin is not a Jalen Ramsey fan. We could offer a draft pick to sweeten the deal. 

The Jaguars have massive problems on Offense, especially with a rash of recent injuries.  I don't think they are looking to plug holes on the DL as a top priority (esp. w/ Josh Allen in camp) and if they are going to burn the Jalen Ramsey chip, I suspect it will be to help the OLine or WR units.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, genot said:

I think an A.J Bouye or a Darius Slay for a pick or two, are more realistic options for us. Both are good corners, and the price wouldn't be nearly as high.

Agree but if we are going to trade a former #1 pick I would want a player of Jalen Ramseys caliber in return if possible. 

• Thumb Down 1

2 hours ago, 14 in Green said:

At this point, Elvis “Toast” Patterson would.

Elvis Patterson was the Space Ghost.  Like Bobby Jackson, he was better than people remember.  Starting CB on a super bowl team that won with defense and an excellent special teams player for about a decade.  People look down on him because that fat **** gave him that nickname.   It should say "Fat ****" under that fat ****'s d-cup bust in Canton.

• Upvote 1

just because you dont understand certain roster moves doesn't make them rash...  you may disagree

for whatever reasons....       fine.

I woulda gotten ridda Lee after year2. It's like playing with 10 men about 75% of the time cos he takes himself out of plays cos he got the football sense of a deer in the headlights.

Leggett? Did he make any plays last year? Didnt herndon look good?

• Sympathy 1

Leo Williams is the best trade bait, IMHO.

Above avg v run, below avg v pass...make him slightly above avg.

Any game making plays in teh 4th q you can EVER remember Leo making? 

Drive stop plays when we are relinquishing the lead? ( Same for everybody else on the D including Jamal.) 

We can get a half decent CB for him.

41 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

It has been mentioned that Tom Coughlin is not a Jalen Ramsey fan. We could offer a draft pick to sweeten the deal. 

So just one man's opinion here, but when a player on another team makes noise about wanting to be traded, and names the 2 teams he would most like to sign a long-term deal with next year when he's on his last year, and your team isn't one of those two teams, you don't trade for him.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

39 minutes ago, nycdan said:

The Jaguars have massive problems on Offense, especially with a rash of recent injuries.  I don't think they are looking to plug holes on the DL as a top priority (esp. w/ Josh Allen in camp) and if they are going to burn the Jalen Ramsey chip, I suspect it will be to help the OLine or WR units.

Agreed.  Calis Campbell, Marcel Dareus, Yannick Ngakoue and Josh Allen is a pretty solid group.  Their biggest holes on the roster are probably TE and OT.  short of giving them picks, they don't seem like a trading partner for us.

2 minutes ago, Losmeister said:

Drive stop plays when we are relinquishing the lead? ( Same for everybody else on the D including Jamal.) 

Plus it’s not as if the jets are going to pay him, a lumbering run stuffer who doesn’t get many sacks, after they drafted Q.  If they’re going to trade anyone it’s Leo.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Losmeister said:

Really sounds like great trade bait!

• Haha 1

38 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

Agree but if we are going to trade a former #1 pick I would want a player of Jalen Ramseys caliber in return if possible. 

If we don’t get pass rushing pressure on the Qb it sort of offsets having a great CB.  If a QB has time to sit in the pocket, players will get open.  We need a balance between the Pass rush and defensive backs