Ok ..so who and what are we trading for!!?

With the obvious sudden rash of injuries, and the fact that we are lacking depth in certain areas and have a surplus in others, I figure it's time to kick some ideas around. Nobody really wants to trade Leo, Avery, and as I mentioned in a different thread Robby Anderson or our future draft picks. But at this point I feel we are in a situation and something needs to be done. So realistically... Who's out there? Who and or what are we trading and what can we get in return? I think we all see the potential sitting in front of us. What needs to be done?

Leonard williams is equivelant to a bag of footballs and a few blue gatorades.  He has JAG value.

Robby Anderson is our most explosive offensive weapon.  Hes not going anywhere.

Avery Williamson is a good player that we need.  Hes not going anywhere either.

We will wait to see who gets cut or trade a 5th or a 6th for a fringe guy on another team.  The days of us overpaying on the defensive side of the ball are over.

• Thumb Down 3

I said this in the other thread but it bears repeating here.  

Ramsey has said publicly that he would like to sign his next deal with TEN or OAK (soon to be LV).  Coincidentally two states with no state income tax.  I would take him at his word and assume that after 2020, unless you franchise him, he is gone.  As such, I don't see him as a guy I break the bank to trade for.  Because in two years, Ramsey will almost certainly not be playing home games in NJ.  

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Greenbloodblitz said:

I did say realistically... could we find two or three second-tier players for Leo and a 2nd?

The good news is that the Jets got a 2nd round draft pick and Jermaine Kearse for Sheldon Richardson.

The bad news is that John Schneider is lucky to have a job after that trade-my guess is that no GM does a trade like that again.

If you need a DL to finish your team and make a run, you rent one, like the Vikings and Browns did with Sheldon.  The issue is that a team is not going to think that Leo is going to help them make the playoffs+, because he has only been ok.   To give up a draft pick and pay him does not make any sense.   Maybe a team does a swap of an excess corner, but teams are more likely to have excess DL than excess corners.

Except maybe the Cardinals.  A Peterson for Leo move probably has more potential.  Peterson is better than Leo, but older.  

• Upvote 2

9 minutes ago, Greenbloodblitz said:

I did say realistically... could we find two or three second-tier players for Leo and a 2nd?

What ever team looking at Leo knows he is on the last year of his deal. He is basically a one year rental, or a trade and sign kind of player. Not sure how many teams still have that kind of cap in need of a player like Williams.

That means you have to give up draft capital for a guy who can potentially leave in FA next year. 

All off season depth has been a concern at corner, its no surprise we are in this mess with Johnson's injury history last year. I don't think because Tru goes down you react with trading away a team captain. I understand there is a need for corner and you might have to give a pick up a pick in next year's draft for a stop gap vet for this year, but unless its a player like Ramsey, which is highly unlikely, roll the dice with Leo this year with this coaching staff. 

12 minutes ago, varjet said:

Except maybe the Cardinals.  A Peterson for Leo move probably has more potential.  Peterson is better than Leo, but older.  

This makes sense as well due to the lack of depth at DL for the cardinals and the depth they have at corner. They would have to throw a bag at Leo this year though. No way you give up Patrick Peterson, play this season and try to pitch Leo not to go somewhere else in FA. 

5 minutes ago, Lith said:

I think this is the type of situation that gives us an idea of what Douglas/Gase really think about the team's chances to win this season.  If Tru's injury is serious, thay have to go out and get a solid CB on the trade market; regardless of the cost: player, pick or both.  But only if they think we are set to contend.

If they think the team is about Sam's development and we are still a year from contention, then you manage with what we got, add an exprienced guy or two who get cut in a couple of weeks, hope for the best and conserve resources to go all in next season.

It may be one thing to listen to what these guys say in pressers, but their actions tell a lot more of what they are thinking.  Kiinda like when they added Kalil despite telling us how confident they were in Harrison all pre-season.

1. Coty Sensabaugh
  2. Sam Shields
  • Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, PepPep said:

1-Peterson is just about the age where the wheels of a CB are gonna start to come off. We already got Tru- age 29. And we all saw the struggles he experienced last year. 

2-Not sure why so many people are excited to trade away Leo-  who never missed a game, NEVER, MISSED A SINGLE GAME. Has been solid as a rock in terms of production and finally has some talent around him so he can live up to his talent. Also, he's 25. The dude is 25 years old. Jet fans are ridiculous.

Your point 1 (my numbering) is absolutely true.  Corners always drop off into their 30s, usually steeply. 

And yes Peterson is suspended.  Maybe that helps in the backend of the Jets schedule, which is more winnable.   Or next season, as CB2.  

In response to point 2, what would the Patriots/Bellichick do with Leo, despite his solid performance over the past 4 years.  They would not give him an extended, expensive contract.  They traded Seymour, and Seymour ran circles around Leo.  Seymour was the player Leo was supposed to be.  The Patriots would dump Leo for whatever they can get.  And I like the guy, and actually think he will have a good year this year.  But Mac screwed the pooch on the roster, so I think the Jets should be building for a playoff win or more in 2020.  That is what it is all about.  

• Upvote 2

21 minutes ago, nycdan said:

I said this in the other thread but it bears repeating here.  

Ramsey has said publicly that he would like to sign his next deal with TEN or OAK (soon to be LV).  Coincidentally two states with no state income tax.  I would take him at his word and assume that after 2020, unless you franchise him, he is gone.  As such, I don't see him as a guy I break the bank to trade for.  Because in two years, Ramsey will almost certainly not be playing home games in NJ.  

That but I dont see the Jags trading him though unless you absolutely blow them away which isnt worth it because then you have to make Jalen Ramsey the highest paid CB in the league.  They think they're contenders this year with Foles.  Marrone will run the ball more than anyone else in the league and try to win with that D.  They cant do that without Jalen Ramsey.  

• Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, PepPep said:

Not sure why so many people are excited to trade away Leo-  who never missed a game, NEVER, MISSED A SINGLE GAME. Has been solid as a rock in terms of production and finally has some talent around him so he can live up to his talent. Also, he's 25. The dude is 25 years old. Jet fans are ridiculous.

I don't know how Jet fans who know football watch Leo play and see him as a JAG. I can understand noobs who just look at the stats and don;t see him piling up sacks. Or stat nerds who look at his rankings and say hes not worth the money, etc. But Leo is a MAN on the line. He is way better than average. He may not be a superstar but he could very well get there in the next couple of years.  

Lol, yea cause 1st round picks with a ZILLION snaps suddenly become superstars around age 27... Henry anderson outplayed Leo and got his contract instead.

Leo is on borrowed time here. Ship him now if we can address needs present and/or future.

• Upvote 2

Just now, joewilly12 said:

Honestly I don't know I don't follow them that closely. 

LOL.  Then how did you cook up Leo and #2 would be the value of Jalen Ramsey or were you just pissing in the wind on this?

I have no idea about Jalen’s contract status, does he fit a Gregg Williams scheme, does Jax want/need a player like Leo, etc.

• Upvote 1

27 minutes ago, Lith said:

I think this is the type of situation that gives us an idea of what Douglas/Gase really think about the team's chances to win this season.  If Tru's injury is serious, thay have to go out and get a solid CB on the trade market; regardless of the cost: player, pick or both.  But only if they think we are set to contend.

If they think the season is about Sam's development and we are still a year from contention, then you manage with what we got, add an exprienced guy or two who get cut in a couple of weeks, hope for the best and conserve resources to go all in next season.

It may be one thing to listen to what these guys say in pressers, but their actions tell a lot more of what they are thinking.  Kiinda like when they added Kalil despite telling us how confident they were in Harrison all pre-season.

Im curious about your opinion on the Khalil signing.

My feeling is they were obviously desperate to upgrade the position, but they had to over pay him to come out of retirement. I don’t buy the “He came back because of Sam” stuff, I think he came back for the 8 million bucks.

Im also not expecting a lot from him, I’m hoping for average at best. In fact, I wouldn’t be surprised if he didn’t make it to Opening Day. I’m not sure if his heart is in this, or what he has left in the tank.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, jetstream23 said:

LOL.  Then how did you cook up Leo and #2 would be the value of Jalen Ramsey or were you just pissing in the wind on this?

I have no idea about Jalen’s contract status, does he fit a Gregg Williams scheme, does Jax want/need a player like Leo, etc.

I remember reading that Tom Coughlin was not happy with Jalen Ramsey. 

Let me dial up Joe Douglas I let you know what he's got planned. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Paradis said:

theres never been a better time to ship that lion man out. 

He's had a couple mundane seasons and is on 1 year 14 million dollar deal late in the off-season. His value is at an all time low. You'd probably be looking at a 5th or less. Not sure how that constitutes a better time to ship him out.

• Upvote 1

I think they will only trade for a corner if it becomes apparent that Williamson is gone for a huge chunk of the season.  They aren't going to jump the gun if our CB's get torched in preseason..  CB depth is a problem around the league we just have a severe case of it.  I do agree with Conor Hughes, that we may set a record for waiver wire pickups after the final cuts.

22 minutes ago, Lith said:

If they think the season is about Sam's development and we are still a year from contention, then you manage with what we got, add an exprienced guy or two who get cut in a couple of weeks, hope for the best and conserve resources to go all in next season.

It may be one thing to listen to what these guys say in pressers, but their actions tell a lot more of what they are thinking.  Kiinda like when they added Kalil despite telling us how confident they were in Harrison all off-season.

Very pragmatic view, and the most likely scenario. Douglas came in after free agency and draft. There are just bones to pick at now. He’s done what he could (Kalil was huge!) We are a year (or 2) away anyway, let’s be honest.

No sense giving up draft capital or players who can contribute this year for crap.

However, any move that directly helps and/or protects Sam Darnold should be aggressively perused. 

Tru will be fine for Week 1...2 at the most. Not that Derrick Jones was good, but with his cut...I sense a trade is coming for depth, but no major player trade.

1 minute ago, pdxgreen said:

I think they will only trade for a corner if it becomes apparent that Williamson is gone for a huge chunk of the season.  They aren't going to jump the gun if our CB's get torched in preseason..  CB depth is a problem around the league we just have a severe case of it.  I do agree with Conor Hughes, that we may set a record for waiver wire pickups after the final cuts.

Currently speaking we need 2 starting CB's are you suggesting we start 2 CB's picked off off the scrap heap.

I think Tim White might have a slight edge to make the team because he played cornerback in High School.  He even played a few snaps at CB for Baltimore last preseason.

I wonder if the Jets can find a Troy Brown on their own roster or from somewhere else?

Joe Douglass wanted to get OL help in here to protect our franchise QB.  He was even willing to give up a draft pick for one.  CB? My guess is I don’t think he’s panicking. I also don’t think he’d get much for Leo and he won’t give up any draft picks yet.  If we are in contention before the trade deadline in October maybe he gives up a draft pick then or Leo might be worth more in a trade. I’m guessing he will keep using our waiver position to grab CBs getting cut in next few weeks or maybe swap players about to be cut for both teams.  

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

Currently speaking we need 2 starting CB's are you suggesting we start 2 CB's picked off off the scrap heap.

All reports were that Williamson was balling out at camp... Are we just under the assumption that his injury is something that will keep him out for the first 4-5 games of the season?  I mean, yeah, I know our CB situation sucks.  But for any decent QB we are going to have to trade at least a third rounder, depth corner probably a 4th.  How do we build quality depth if we don't give Joe any picks.  I mean, I want us to win but not at the expense of having any future depth either.

1 minute ago, pdxgreen said:

All reports were that Williamson was balling out at camp... Are just under the assumption that his injury is something that will keep him out for the first 4-5 games of the season?  I mean, yeah, I know our CB situation sucks.  But for any decent QB we are going to have to trade at least a third rounder, depth corner probably a 4th.  How do we build quality depth if we don't give Joe any picks.  I mean, I want us to win but not at the expense of having any future depth either.

We are in dire straits we don't have much to trade John Idzik and Mike Maccagnan piss poor drafting has put us where we are today, Unfortunately we have to do something that wont satisfy everyone.

11 minutes ago, jeremy2020 said:

He's had a couple mundane seasons and is on 1 year 14 million dollar deal late in the off-season. His value is at an all time low. You'd probably be looking at a 5th or less. Not sure how that constitutes a better time to ship him out.

I really don’t think the defence would skip a beat using others in lieu of Leo. It’s not about his loss as much as it’s about how little leverage we have. 

Regardless, getting a 4th now is better than nothing next year. 

4 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

We are in dire straits we don't have much to trade John Idzik and Mike Maccagnan piss poor drafting has put us where we are today, Unfortunately we have to do something that wont satisfy everyone.

Joe Douglas has to do that.  We can look at the roster and say "buy, buy, buy!"  But he's only going to broker a deal when he hits the "F it" button.  I just don't know if he's reached that point yet.