Dak turns down 30 mil per (MERGED)

LockeJET

Source: Dak Prescott has not asked for $40 million a year

Posted by Charean Williams on August 12, 2019, 5:14 PM EDT

pft1-51-e1565487871272.jpg?w=560&h=316&c
AP

The Cowboys and Dak Prescott apparently aren’t close on a new deal, but how far apart they are remains a question.

The Cowboys have said they have made what they consider to be “solid” offers to Prescott, Ezekiel Elliott and Amari Cooper, which would rank them “at least in the top five” at their respective positions. That would mean more than $30 million per season for Prescott.

NFL Media reported Monday, though, that Prescott is seeking an annual average of $40 million per season.

A PFT source quickly shot down the report, saying it is false based on either new money or total value at signing.

Russell Wilson became the league’s highest-paid player in April when he signed a four-year extension with the Seahawks worth $140 million. It gave him a new-money average of $35 million per year.

Ben Roethlisberger, Aaron Rodgers and Carson Wentz rank below Wilson in average annual salary. Matt Ryan‘s average of $30 million per season ranks him fifth.

A report in June said Prescott’s agent, Todd France, had broached the idea of $34 million a season. Prescott was drafted in the fourth round, so the final year of his rookie deal has him making only $2.025 million in 2019.

Both sides have expressed optimism at getting a deal done. At some point.

Whatever the number is, Prescott is expected to become the highest-paid player in team history but not the highest-paid player in NFL history.

Prescott is 32-16 as a starter in the regular season, with 10,876 passing yards, 67 touchdowns, 25 interceptions and a 96.0 passer rating, so he is vastly underpaid as it stands now.

Dak Prescott is like a lesser Kirk Cousins. Both compilers who can’t put the team on their backs and win games off the strengths of their own talents. 

He’s decent but he’s not a guy you consistently win with unless you consistently have a stacked team and that just isn’t possible in the NFL. Players come and go. 

• Upvote 3

11 minutes ago, rex-n-effect said:

That's exactly why he is in a position to negotiate this otherwise ridiculous number. The Cowboys (1) have all that money tied up in the offense; (2) it is obvious Jones sees Prescott as his new franchise QB; and (3) Jones cannot live without having a marquee name at QB. 

So trade for Teddy Bridgewater and call it a day. I don't think Dak is even worth 30. Doesn't seem like anyone does. He should've run to that contract. I understanding negotiating and trying to make what you're worth but how on Earth does he think he is worth more? The Cowboys were being generous.

• Upvote 1

It's not like 10 years ago when half the teams in the NFL were desperate for a QB.  Most of them are pretty set and there are 3 more at least coming out next year and then at least one more in 2021.  Prescott anywhere but DAL could be Scott Mitchell as easily as not.  Honestly, where would he get a $40MM contract after Tua, Fromm and Herbert are drafted next year?  I would pull the offer back and tell him to play the year on his rookie deal ($2MM this year, no guarantees).  They can always franchise him cheaper the year after than this deal he wants as well.  DAL literally has no incentive to do any more than what they offered. 

I read somewhere that the conventional wisdom in sports is to make sure you sign your first big contract, the one that sets you up for life, as quickly as posssible and save your squeezing for the 2nd deal.  I think that's pretty good advice.  Prescott would be absolutely crazy to play this year for $2MM when he could have $30MM+ (depending on structure).  

• Upvote 2

20 minutes ago, King P said:

People that normally have no issue with QBs getting more money than they're worth simply because they're QBs are now taking issue with a QB asking for more than he's worth

tenor.gif

I'm here loving the double talk. Make up your minds folks ?

I think it would depend on the QB.  Dak sucks

• Upvote 1

This sounds like another franchise leaking contract negotiations to make them sound like the good guys.    There is no mention on the guarantees and associated language.  It could be an 30 mil per year offer with minimal guarantees and is really a two year deal

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Smashmouth said:

I mean how greedy do you have to be to refuse 30 mil per as an average too good QB and want elite money like Aaron Rodgers and Drew Brees ?

Are you serious? You would do the same thing if you were in Dak’s position, and you’re lying if you say you wouldn’t.

You ask for what you can get, when you can get it. Nobody in their right mind is leaving an extra 10 million a year on the table. If the owners have a problem fitting these QB salaries in the ‘cap, eff them. Then the rich ba***ards just have to raise the cap.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, varjet said:

I think football teams need to tell their QBs that yes, they are very valuable, but if they want to win a Super Bowl there are other players that need to be paid, and that under the Salary Cap there is only so much money to spend.  

Elliott knows that Dak is going to get most of the money, and he is probably not happy about it.  

When you are paying a QB that much money, you have to draft flawlessly to win.  That was the Packers undoing, after all the good executives left. 

Dak Revis

Some guys don’t care about team. 

5 minutes ago, King P said:

I remember plenty of posters saying Cousins isn't worth it, but should get paid such because it's the going rate for QBs. If you felt that way, you can't be upset for any QB trying to maximize his potential earnings. Because the media and fans alike have shouted from the rooftops that a QB is the end all be all. Therefore you can't say anything when a QB turns around and wants to be paid more.

The bolded just shows that you're not very smart, so I won't even continue any further discussions with you on the matter

oh please, nobody is upset about it, people are saying he's crazy because he isn't worth it, you're the only one upset. Get a grip. You must watch CNN all day long. Yeah, I'm just a big dummy, you should stop further discussions and turn CNN back on. When Mahomes is ready to get paid, people will be astonished by how much he gets, but nobody will say he is crazy, because he is amazing. Has nothing to do with what you want to make it out to be.

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, New York Mick said:

If this keeps up tickets are going to cost $500 each. 

This is really an under appreciated part of the madness which is professional sports salaries. Im a capitalist, and I believe in free markets, but the professional sports franchises and players are very short sighted. The price of tickets is pricing out average or lower income families, and when those kids of average or lower income families are older, they may not have the same passion for sports as those of us who got to go to plenty of live sporting events per year. I raise my family in a significantly larger and nicer lifestyle than I grew up in, yet, as a kid we went to a lot more sporting events per year than I am willing to spend for my kids. As a result, my kids are not nearly as passionate about pro sports as I was. They love to play, but they don't have the passion for the pro teams. The short term greed by the players and owners is going to really hurt the long term popularity of these sports IMO.

• Upvote 3