Dak turns down 30 mil per (MERGED)

LockeJET

While Quarterback is the most important position on a football team, the only QB who is worth more than 30M is one who makes all the other players around him better.  Like Tom Brady, Payton Manning type of QB.  DaK is not that type of QB.

Based upon last year, and his entire history, I think he is worth around 20M per year.  Give him incentives for being in the top 5 QB's to get him a 5M bonus, and another 5M if he gets the team to the Super Bowl.  Then he can have his 30M.

I would play hard ball and let him play out his contract and let him walk otherwise.  In any case, he isn't good enough to raise everyone else's level of play like Tom Brady can.

• Upvote 1

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000001040986/article/dak-prescott-seeking-extension-worth-40myear

Dak Prescott seeking extension worth $40M/year

• 0ap3000000923719.jpg
  • By Jeremy Bergman
  • Around The NFL Writer
  • Published: Aug. 12, 2019 at 05:11 p.m.
  • Updated: Aug. 12, 2019 at 07:27 p.m.

Dak Prescott wants to be the highest-paid quarterback in the NFL. That much is clear from his latest contract demand.

The Dallas Cowboys quarterback, who is entering the final year of his contract and has been negotiating an extension with the club, has turned down a deal worth $30 million per year and is instead seeking a contract worth $40 million per year, NFL Network's Jane Slater reported Monday, per a source informed of the talks.

If Prescott were to sign a deal worth $40 million in annual average value (AAV), that would make him the league's highest-paid QB in AAV by $5 million, around 14.3 percent more than the league-high $35M per year that Russell Wilson is making on his current deal, per Spotrac.

A $30M-per-year pact, meanwhile, would put Prescott in the company of Matt Ryan (fifth in AAV).

How likely it is that Dallas would agree to make Prescott the league's highest-paid QB and by such a large margin is unknown, though probably miniscule. As Slater added, Prescott demanding $40M per year is "negotiating and business" and that the eventual agreed-to number is likely closer to $34-35 million per year.

Dak's not-so-subtle contract demands come while the Cowboys are juggling three concurrent negotiations with their star quarterback (Prescott), running back (Ezekiel Elliott) and wide receiver (Amari Cooper). Prescott's and Cooper's deals are up at the end of the 2019 season, while Elliott's is set to expire following the 2020 campaign. Slater reported last week that all three have "generous" offers on the table from Dallas, though what is perceived as "generous" at this point is a matter of perspective.

While Prescott and Cooper have attended Cowboys training camp in Oxnard, California during their negotiations, Elliott has been holding out and working out in Cabo San Lucas, Mexico. Prescott played one series in Dallas' preseason opener.

The team returns to Dallas following its second preseason game against the Los Angeles Rams in Hawaii on Aug. 17. It is expected upon the Cowboys' return to Texas on Aug. 20 that these negotiations will heat up.

Whether Prescott is worth a contract extension that makes him the highest-paid quarterback in the NFL is the debate in which the football world has been engaged since news of his talks with Dallas began. In three years as the starting QB of "America's Team," Prescott, along with Elliott and an all-world offensive line, has piloted Dallas to a 32-16 record, two playoff appearances and NFC East titles and one playoff victory. The 2016 Offensive Rookie of the Year has completed 66.1 percent of his passes, thrown 67 touchdowns to 25 picks and played in two Pro Bowls.

It's not clear that Prescott is or will be a top-10 quarterback, but that's not what is at stake this summer and autumn. Whether he will become among the top-paid quarterbacks and players this league has ever seen and set the market for future QB extensions is.

Prescott believes he deserves a contract that reflects all that and more. How Dallas proceeds following his latest outsize demand will be telling.

67GhaxPX_bigger.jpg
Pay Dak his 40Mil and don’t @ me

Given that I loath Dallas, but my boss is a Dallas fan, I have to gloat with a very low profile ... :)  Ironically, if you want to field a team, Jerruh SHOULDN'T give either one of them what they are asking for. He might end up trading them both for two guys who are 75% of the players that they are, a bunch of good picks, and have a fair amount of cash left over to keep the team competitive.

But I cheerfully doubt he'll do that.

1 hour ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

Nick Foles got about 22 million a year. Personally, I rather have Dak.....but it's real close. 

The reality is that the going rate for game managers is about 20-25 million.

Agreed. I understand what the market rate is for shleps like Nick Foles/Dak Prescott....But I'd rather have Brooks Bollinger at $1.5mm/year than either of those guys at $22.5mm/year, let alone the $30mm that Prescott turned down.

17 minutes ago, Jack Straw said:

Agreed. I understand what the market rate is for shleps like Nick Foles/Dak Prescott....But I'd rather have Brooks Bollinger at $1.5mm/year than either of those guys at $22.5mm/year, let alone the $30mm that Prescott turned down.

You would have to pay me to watch brooks bollinger

1 hour ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

Nick Foles got about 22 million a year. Personally, I rather have Dak.....but it's real close. 

The reality is that the going rate for game managers is about 20-25 million.

Dak is a good QB he is not a $30 million a year guy let alone 40

Ok you can go look it up in the draft forums, I am a huge Dak guy, but no MFing way would I give that guy more then 20 million, yes 20 million is a fair price for a QB of Daks caliber which is more leader/game manager then anything else which is great from a 4th rounder.

• Upvote 1

People went nuts when we paid McCown one third of that, and he was coming of a season where he was manifestly and statistically better than Dak by a significant margin.

Qb money is pretty crazy and it’s the one time in football where the player has a significant bargaining advantage.  Dak is a very mediocre qb with not much upside, but he controls the fate of a potential Super Bowl team.  Trading him for picks and say a side grade like Teddy Bridgewater would sink their season at this stage as a qb takes quite a bit of time to develop in a system.

11 hours ago, T0mShane said:

Dak sucks. 

The guy has pretty much regressed every year.

The QB dollars are insane, everyone knows that, Ryan Fitzpatrick is a Super Millionaire for gosh sakes, but this is really disturbing hearing this guy has the stones to turn down $30Mill for 1 year of play....and Dallas will NEVER win it all with him, I don't even think he is good enough for an annual play-off ride, which should be the floor for anyone getting paid $30Mill a year.

His first year he had hands down the best O-line in the league and the best RB.  What QB wouldn't look real good with that?

Glad he is not a Jet.

11 hours ago, 14 in Green said:

Are you serious? You would do the same thing if you were in Dak’s position, and you’re lying if you say you wouldn’t.

You ask for what you can get, when you can get it. Nobody in their right mind is leaving an extra 10 million a year on the table. If the owners have a problem fitting these QB salaries in the ‘cap, eff them. Then the rich ba***ards just have to raise the cap.

I would take the $30 mil per without question. 

18 minutes ago, Apache 51 said:

Most of us that aren't in DAks position would.

Even in his position.  

I know a very famous musician who has been successful for over 30m years. He told me a little while back that his net worth was around $20 mil.  Thats 30 years of success leading to approx $20 mil.  Sure he's made more over his lifetime but that's what he has.  $30 mil per is ridiculous money and we shouldn't lose sight of that.  I'm usually on the side of the player getting their due, but this is ridic!   

(ridic is how the kids say it now) ;-) 

2 minutes ago, GREENBEAN said:

Even in his position.  

I know a very famous musician who has been successful for over 30m years. He told me a little while back that his net worth was around $20 mil.  Thats 30 years of success leading to approx $20 mil.  Sure he's made more over his lifetime but that's what he has.  $30 mil per is ridiculous money and we shouldn't lose sight of that.  I'm usually on the side of the player getting their due, but this is ridic!   

Its monies relative to the football / sports market. Not to regular human beings. Ridic...lol....thats lit is another..not drunk though but lit.Dak is worth 20..but JJ will pay him..btwn a rock and a hard place. It's an extra 5mill per to JJ that's like 5k to us.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

How's did Dak perform when some of his line was injured, without Zeke, that's how I look at these QBs & the answer is no better than Ryan Fitzpatrick. Even if they pay him 30 million Dallas Super Bowl dreams are dead if they don't win it this year. DEAD.

• Upvote 1

The owners have to pay the money anyway, whether it goes to Dak or to other players its the same difference to their bottomline..  This is all about the salary cap and the Cowboys championship window. 

You figure their odds are going to dramatially decrease over the  next 5 years with Zek or Dak taking a huge chunk of salary space (or worse gone, in which case you lost your signal caller and your best player) so the Cowboys are weighing the long term vs the short term.  And let's be clear, Jerry isn't getting any younger.

1 hour ago, GREENBEAN said:

Even in his position.  

I'm always in favor of the players making as much money as they possibly can, but I'll also point it out when I think they're making a mistake. Like Bell, last year. He lost himself at least $14M that he'll never see again. 

In this case, it's MHO that Dak would not get $30M/year on the open market. I don't know how the Cowboys structured that deal (maybe it has little guaranteed, etc.), but I think he should sign that thing before Jones realizes what a mistake that offer is. 

• Upvote 1