Dak turns down 30 mil per (MERGED)

LockeJET

On 8/12/2019 at 5:15 PM, Smashmouth said:

Very True some say Steinbrenner and the Reggie / Winfield days ruined sports and Imagine they were only making 1 mil (or somewhere in that range) LOL

espn ruined sports by spending soooooo much money on something that really doesn't mean a lot in the grand scheme of things.

7 hours ago, TeddEY said:

Agreed that ticket prices are a problem and long term engagement will drop.  However, do you think player salaries are the problem here?  The NFL brings in about 7B in revenue per year from media deals - they could play the games in front of no one and it wouldn't really make much of a difference in their ability to pay the players.

Yeah, to be honest, I had never really looked at the math, but your probably right. If the average Jets ticket is $100, there are 60,000 fans per game on average, for 10 games, that is what $60m per year. And the 7B split 32 ways is like $200m per year, players salaries are not the problem, and its owners greed that is driving ticket prices up so high, at least in football, maybe not in other sports, not sure. But I assumed ticket prices contributed more to player salary than it does and change my stance.

I now think Dak should get $40m per year :) 

9 hours ago, Bugg said:

Prescott is a good, servicable QB.He's also durable, playing 16 games every year for 3 seasons.  But he's never thrown for 4000 yards. Much as I hate the cap, he wouldn't be worth $15 million if there wasn't a cap.There must be something in the water in Dallas that they have guys pull this nonsense every year. 

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/P/PresDa01.htm

Neither did Joe Montana.

• Sympathy 1

3 hours ago, NoBowles said:

Yeah, to be honest, I had never really looked at the math, but your probably right. If the average Jets ticket is $100, there are 60,000 fans per game on average, for 10 games, that is what $60m per year. And the 7B split 32 ways is like $200m per year, players salaries are not the problem, and its owners greed that is driving ticket prices up so high, at least in football, maybe not in other sports, not sure. But I assumed ticket prices contributed more to player salary than it does and change my stance.

I now think Dak should get $40m per year :) 

The question isn't so much about is Dak worth 40M per year.  It's is Dak worth 21% of your yearly allocation.  I'm probably a no on that.

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, TeddEY said:

The question isn't so much about is Dak worth 40M per year.  It's is Dak worth 21% of your yearly allocation.  I'm probably a no on that.

Dak is a guy who if you build around, can win, but he needs the team around him. You give him 40m, hell, even 30m, I don't see how you put enough around him unless you absolutely kill it in the draft year after year which few teams do. I was just joking about giving Dak 40m.

• Sympathy 1

10 hours ago, bitonti said:

great way to build a program - draft a HOF'er and jerk him around. Try to pay him like Jon McGraw

the rest of the locker room loves that and other free agents don't notice it's a 2 bit organization /s

that Revis situation set this team back a decade because they treated the best player this team's had since Curtis Martin like a POS

there's no reason for ownership to not spend to the cap every year. NONE

it's called commitment to winning and the Jets have a reputation for not caring 

that's why we ended up with Adam Gase. Cause no one real wanted this gig. and they didn't want to pay anyone real

somewhere over the years Jets fans have interpreted endless cap space and annual major firings as good news 

cap space doesn't do anything for the fans - unless you are also woody's accountant 

Do you have our cap numbers over the years?  How much under the cap are we spending

How do you pay Dak, Zeke and everyone else?

Who are the Eagles paying at RB and WR?

The Cowboys are built around Zeke and Dak working together.  Jerry has to come up with a plan where he signs them to long-term contracts to amortize large signing bonuses.  Dak’s guaranteed compensation goes up in later years, and you pay Zeke for the next 3 or so.   Take the risk that Zeke walks after that. 

NFL rumors: Cowboys’ Dak Prescott deserves bigger contract than Eagles’ Carson Wentz

Updated 10:13 AM; Today 10:00 AM
Eagles' Carson Wentz and Cowboys' Dak Prescott will be linked throughout their entire careers. (AP Photo | Ron Jenkins)

AP

Eagles' Carson Wentz and Cowboys' Dak Prescott will be linked throughout their entire careers. (AP Photo | Ron Jenkins)

By Joe Giglio | NJ Advance Media for NJ.com

NFL players don’t always get what they want, but sometimes they get what they need.

In the case of Cowboys quarterback Dak Prescott, here’s what his agent should need and what is client is deserving of: More money ($32M per year) than Eagles star Carson Wentz received earlier this offseason.

Here’s why Prescott shouldn’t accept a dime less.

Better credentials: Prescott has more wins (32 to 23), division titles (2 to 1), higher QBR (68 to 62), and a better completion percentage (66% to 64%). Wentz may have been the higher pick and reached the higher ceiling during the 2017 season, but Prescott’s three years in the NFL have not been less productive than what Wentz has done in Philadelphia.

Durability: Here’s a key. Prescott has never missed a game. Meanwhile, Wentz has missed 31 percent of his team’s games dating back to his final year of college. Teams can try to pay players for what they believe will happen, but agents can fight based on precedent with comparable players.

Done more with less on the sidelines and front office: Prescott detractors like to point out the presence of a superstar running back (Ezekiel Elliott) as to why the Cowboys quarterback has been as successful as he has thus far. While Wentz has never had that kind of star runner to lean on, the Eagles quarterback has been afforded a better head coach and play caller (Doug Pederson), better overall weapons, just as good (if not better) offensive line and a smart general manager adding under-the-radar pieces (Corey Clement, Jay Ayayi stand out during the 2017 season) to the fold.

No evidence team can win without him: Unlike what we know about the Eagles, we have no idea if the team would crumble or sustain winning without Prescott. The great unknown should help Prescott garner more money than many fans think he’s worth.

It would be a 33% increase.....but I agree, nobody is paying him $40M and I'm pretty sure Dallas would be the only one offering him $40M right now.

Right. Which removes leverage. These guys on the cowboys right now see blood in the water.
Especially zeek. He is on his rookie deal no? The nflpa should step in and tell him to cut the crap as he is going against the fabric of the negotiated CBA. He has two years after this one left I think it is.

Zeek and dak can sit all year from my perspective. F em!

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app
  • Upvote 1

5 hours ago, GREENBEAN said:

Right. Which removes leverage. These guys on the cowboys right now see blood in the water.
Especially zeek. He is on his rookie deal no? The nflpa should step in and tell him to cut the crap as he is going against the fabric of the negotiated CBA. He has two years after this one left I think it is.

Zeek and dak can sit all year from my perspective. F em!

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

Bingo. Imagine a QB on a rookie deal b!tching in year 2 of a 5 year deal (including option year) that he wants a new deal and tries to hold the team hostage by sitting out. Did Mahomes do this? Elliott needs to cut the crap. 

• Upvote 1

The NFL should allow the teams to pay for a certain amount of injury insurance for players in their 3rd and 4th year of their rookie deals.  If he's got a $20MM policy covering him against injury, he's got a lot less reason to want to sit out the season.  And as much as I hate seeing player do this, I find myself understanding his concern.  He's playing for just under $4MM salary this season with no guarantees beyond it.  He's probably worth 4x that on the open market. 

He'll have to play or risk losing the credit for the season, but if teams could insure these players without it hitting the cap, it would probably go a long way to smoothing out these issues.  And really, the NFL should want these guys on the field, not staging holdouts.