Jump to content
WayneChrebet80

Worst group of CBs 2014 or 2019?

Recommended Posts

5 years ago we had Dee Milliner, Dmitri Patterson (cut during season for going MIA), Dex McDougle, Darrin Walls, Marcus Williams, Antonio Allen

If Trumaine Johnson misses significant time Id say this group rivals 2014. If that’s the case the Jets are going to be really bad (especially in an NFL where PI is reviewable). 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Obrien2Toon said:

They suck

but even when we have good corners we suck

its all about the pass rush now

Uh... not feeling better....

I’m guessing you don’t make your living as a motivational speaker?

  • Upvote 1
  • Haha 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Oh no....god no, he uttered the words Darrin Walls and Dexter McDougall, off in the distance church bell chimes are ringing.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, WayneChrebet80 said:

If Trumaine Johnson misses significant time Id say this group rivals 2014. If that’s the case the Jets are going to be really bad (especially in an NFL where PI is reviewable). 

anyways on to addressing you.

Gase said he should be ready for week 1. So, no, sorry, he won’t still be hurt enough to miss the chance at picking off Daniel Hackenjones in week 10.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If Trumaine is not functional, the current group is far worse. 

I am having a tough time believing that Derrick Jones was worse than the other guys on the roster. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Big Joe Douglas and Gase will figure out a way to overcome this cornerback issue. Thats why we have Douglas and paid big money for him. He's smart and he has contacts and if there is an issue he will get it solved  about as good as anyone can solve it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Nixhead said:

Big Joe Douglas and Gase will figure out a way to overcome this cornerback issue. Thats why we have Douglas and paid big money for him. He's smart and he has contacts and if there is an issue he will get it solved  about as good as anyone can solve it.

Love the enthusiasm. Can't tell if this was meant sarcastically, but all the same. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Nixhead said:

Big Joe Douglas and Gase will figure out a way to overcome this cornerback issue. Thats why we have Douglas and paid big money for him. He's smart and he has contacts and if there is an issue he will get it solved  about as good as anyone can solve it.

Good first post and welcome to JetNation, Mrs. Douglas!!!

  • Upvote 2
  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Only positive thing going for our secondary is the human PI machine Buster Skrine is gone

  • Upvote 1
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Nixhead said:

Big Joe Douglas and Gase will figure out a way to overcome this cornerback issue. Thats why we have Douglas and paid big money for him. He's smart and he has contacts and if there is an issue he will get it solved  about as good as anyone can solve it.

Offer Jax Leo and a second rd pick for Jalen Saunders

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, varjet said:

If Trumaine is not functional, the current group is far worse. 

I am having a tough time believing that Derrick Jones was worse than the other guys on the roster. 

Yeah, #40 got beat like a drum last week. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Supposedly Baltimore has a bunch of good CB's, some better guys than our backups should be cut and we have the #3 waiver and maybe JD has some insider info from B'More.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, WayneChrebet80 said:

5 years ago we had Dee Milliner, Dmitri Patterson (cut during season for going MIA), Dex McDougle, Darrin Walls, Marcus Williams, Antonio Allen

If Trumaine Johnson misses significant time Id say this group rivals 2014. If that’s the case the Jets are going to be really bad (especially in an NFL where PI is reviewable). 

Well, considering we haven't seen this group play at all, I'd say it's impossible to do this today.  We've seen one vanilla preseason game for Pete's sake.  You don't know what Roberts will look like this year.  Tru, Poole and Roberts could play lights out while Q, Leo, Anderson and Polite crush QB's all day. We have no idea. 

That said, I will already state that the former group was worse. 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's absolutely crazy that a team that continued to be fixated on defense in the draft STILL had to overpay for 3 free agents whose combined salaries are more than the GDP of some small countries. 

TRU, MOSELY, WILLIAMSON 

That alone tells you awful our scouting dept. was. And here we are with another season upon us with huge holes in the secondary. Monkey + Dart= Better drafting than Macc. Sickening really. 

And this Polite over Winovich will be played out with our division rivals, ugh. 

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Can a mod please change this guys username to big blew trolling crew?

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, varjet said:

 

I am having a tough time believing that Derrick Jones was worse than the other guys on the roster. 

I too was rooting for Jones due to his size and speed and our need for man to man corners. Sometimes you just have to trust that the coaching staff who is around him during practice. It seems like he couldn’t get any playing time due to poor practice play.

With Bowles he couldn’t get off the bench til week 16 on a garbage year. Now I tend to believe to just throw him in anyway and see what he can do. But even in that year, it wasn’t like he was flashing in practice. This new GM/coach has zero ties to Jones so it was important for him to have an impressive camp and preseason. He flashed in previous preseasons but again I think this player has poor work ethic or something in that range to have Greg Williams pull the cord on him after just one pretty bad preseason game. 

I’m hoping this position is like the center one. Every day we thought JD had no plan to address that position and just to roll the dice. He ended up having a plan. 

We are third on the waiver wire and the guy has some contacts in this league. I see an overhaul at this position to make it competitive. Not sure we are going to see a great player come out of no where or retirement but we sit third on the wire and teams haven’t really even started making major moves. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Joe the Breadman said:

I'm doing my best at talking myself into believing that at least 2 corners that will be on the final roster are not even on the team yet.

What’s Revis up to?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, TeddEY said:

It’s a shame that on a website called JetNation, the username WayneChrebet80 will eventually be banned.

Hmmmm, Maybe there is a way around that? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, varjet said:

If Trumaine is not functional, the current group is far worse. 

I am having a tough time believing that Derrick Jones was worse than the other guys on the roster. 

I don't think that's true. Roberts is better than any of those guys except a healthy Milliner.  Kyle Wilson was probably the best one.  Philip Adams started 30% of the snaps that year.  Darrin Walls 70+%. Josh Thomas came in off the street and was basically handed a game. Marcus Williams came in off the street after the halfway point and still managed to play almost half the team's snaps. 

These guys suck, but those guys sucked and had little to no hope.  I am also confident that Williams will tailor his system around the lack of CBs.  Rex and Idzik were locked in a power struggle where Idzik sabotaged Rex and I think that even if he could, Rex didn't want to give in and change the system - he wanted to be able to point at the horror of the roster.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Minus Tru this unit is worse....sounds like he should be good to go week 1 but I’m still hoping we can find a band-aid at some point before the season starts 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If you have a fantasy football team, start the QB that goes against the NY Jets 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

I don't think that's true. Roberts is better than any of those guys except a healthy Milliner.  Kyle Wilson was probably the best one.  Philip Adams started 30% of the snaps that year.  Darrin Walls 70+%. Josh Thomas came in off the street and was basically handed a game. Marcus Williams came in off the street after the halfway point and still managed to play almost half the team's snaps. 

These guys suck, but those guys sucked and had little to no hope.  I am also confident that Williams will tailor his system around the lack of CBs.  Rex and Idzik were locked in a power struggle where Idzik sabotaged Rex and I think that even if he could, Rex didn't want to give in and change the system - he wanted to be able to point at the horror of the roster.

liking your optimism.  true enough if they have a pass rush they don't need the second coming of revis back there but it would still be good if they had a couple of reliable guys who won't let the receivers get too far behind them.  and this is also damaging because maye is having issues coming back.  not to knock miles but he's not as good as maye at free safety and he has issues staying on the field too.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, rangerous said:

liking your optimism.  true enough if they have a pass rush they don't need the second coming of revis back there but it would still be good if they had a couple of reliable guys who won't let the receivers get too far behind them.  and this is also damaging because maye is having issues coming back.  not to knock miles but he's not as good as maye at free safety and he has issues staying on the field too.

I think you totally miss the point of my post.  

Literally zero optimism about these corners from this household.  The point of that post was that the guys in 2014 were all UDFA stiffs.  The ones that weren't were Milliner who was hurt going into the year and only played in 3 games, Patterson who walked out during the preseason and Kyle Wilson who was a stiff.  The other guys were a safety and a parade of street free agents. 

We currently have Roberts who is a decent rotational CB at a minimum. Trumaine Johnson is overpaid, but there is reason to hope.  I am not crazy about Poole, but he belongs on a roster.  The rest of these guys will be as good as Philip Gaines, Marcus Williams and Ellis Lankster or they will be gone and better guys picked up.  They aren't going to be Revis, but there is a pretty big gap between the Revis years and 2014 for them to slot in.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

One of our opening day starters in 2014 at cornerback was a converted 7th round strong safety who also had just converted from linebacker in college. I love Antonio Allen, but that group was much worse than this years.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.




Content Partnership

Yes Network

Site Sponsor

MILE-Social - NJ Social Media & SEO company
×
×
  • Create New...