Jets Add CB Marcus Cooper

Lith

Jets land ex-Rutgers CB Marcus Cooper | 3 thoughts on signing

Updated 4:51 PM; Today 4:50 PM

By Matt Stypulkoski | NJ Advance Media for NJ.com

Marcus Cooper is heading back to New Jersey.

The Rutgers product was cut by the Lions on Monday, but scooped up by the Jets on Tuesday, according to the team. 

Cooper, 29, is entering his seventh NFL season and has also played for the 49ers, Chiefs, Cardinals, and Bears during that span. But the journeyman could become a key piece for the Jets, given their current crop of cornerbacks.

Here are three thoughts on the Jets’ decision to sign him:

1. Smart, quick decision by Joe Douglas

The Jets’ cornerback situation was ugly entering training camp and has only gotten worse of late, with Trumaine Johnson and Kyron Brown both picking up hamstring injuries. That forced Douglas’ hand – he had to do something, fast, to add talent to this team. Cooper became available and the Jets general manager pounced quickly, which is exactly what they needed him to do here. The Jets’ cornerback room lacks experience and Cooper has 74 games - including 24 starts - under his belt. All of a sudden, he’s the team’s third-most experienced corner behind Johnson and Brian Poole. Cooper didn’t play a ton last year – just six games between the Bears and Lions – so maybe he’s slowing down a bit. But the Jets’ cornerback situation is dire. Any cornerback with some talent and veteran savvy should be welcomed. Smart pickup by Douglas here.

2. Potential Week 1 starter?

Cooper couldn’t stay on the roster with the Lions, but he may be able to take a big role right away with the Jets. If Johnson is out for a while due to injury and doesn’t make it back in time for Week 1, it’s feasible that Cooper could well be starting alongside Darryl Roberts – assuming he has enough left in the tank to leapfrog some undrafted rookies and former practice-squad talents. Even if Johnson returns in time for the regular season, Cooper should at least provide some measure of competition for Roberts and an insurance policy in case he doesn’t perform up to expectations or picks up an injury.

3. This isn’t enough

Yes, Douglas helped fill a hole here. But this is merely one patch in a dam full of leaks. He has to continue to scour the free-agent market and waiver wire as the summer drags on and camp cuts are made. Hitting the trade market wouldn’t be the worst thing, either. This can’t be the only move the Jets make to fix their cornerback situation. They need to keep doing more to build depth and prevent this position from being a massive liability in 2019.

Glad we signed another CB.  I have to admit that with Trumaine already injured, I'm scared to death to even let Daryl Roberts play in this weeks preseason game.  Can't believe I'm even saying that.  You can't afford this guy to possibly get hurt in a meaningless pre season game.  That's how thin we are. Daryl freakin Roberts, he's to important to let him play and get hurt y

• Haha 1

The CB Depth is an issue. But to be honest it's not so much the injuries. It's the fact that some of the younger guys that I thought coming into training camp were going to take the next step forward looked like they took a step back. Specifically, Derrick Jones was talked about like maybe he could take the #2 CB spot- now hes been cut. Nickerson looked really bad against the Giants and needs to step it up to make the roster. Two guys that I was hoping could soften the blow in case of injury to one of the starters have not come through.  

However, here's some reasons NOT to hit the panic button:

-There may be no timetable for Tru's return, but we know it's not a devastating injury. I would not be surprised if he was ready for week 1 or at worst back after the bye. AT WORST. So thats 3 games, and thats bad. But that early bye really helps. 

-The rest of the CBs should be good to go. Yes, guys have been nicked up but nothing bad. 

-Maye is back. 

-The CB depth is bad but the CB starters looked pretty darn good so far. Tru has been having a great camp, Roberts, and Poole all looked great. 

-K.Brown has looked good. Always nice to find a potential UDFA gem. 

-The Tru injury will force Gase to play young guys, will force the creme to rise to the top and will force Douglas to scour the scrap heap for the best cast-offs. We could very well find another solid depth guy once all is said and done. 

I just think in the end we will probably carry 6 CBs and although the depth has always been a concern (even before the Tru injury), the starters are solid and Tru will most likely be back without missing many (if any) games. The rest of the depth will fill itself out without Douglass having to make any big trades, rather just signing young castoffs from teams that are deep at CB, which I am fine with. If I am a team desperate for D-line depth I would be all over signing N.Shepherd if the Jets let him go, it's all relative.     

Just now, #27TheDominator said:

Derrick Jones didn't take a step back.  People just thought he could play because he is an athletic freak and they had yet to see him fail on the field.  Now they have.  He is gone.  They waived him and the Packers picked him up.

I disagree. I mean, I'm not a coach and I didn't watch him in practice but from what I saw of him in preseason last year and from what I heard of him in training camp last year he looked like he could play. And yes, he is an athletic freak, which is also nec. to succeed in the NFL. And even after he got burned in the pre-season game on a deep pass he came right back and showed great technique to prevent a TD pass without causing PI on a fade. I thought that showed restraint for a young CB and some smarts. There's a reason the Packers scooped him up right away. Just saying.

I don't know if the Jets gave up on him too soon but now they are looking for CB help and picked up Cooper...is he better than Jones? Maybe. We will see. I personally liked Jones and was really hoping he could take the next step as a player.    

13 minutes ago, PepPep said:

I disagree. I mean, I'm not a coach and I didn't watch him in practice but from what I saw of him in preseason last year and from what I heard of him in training camp last year he looked like he could play. And yes, he is an athletic freak, which is also nec. to succeed in the NFL. And even after he got burned in the pre-season game on a deep pass he came right back and showed great technique to prevent a TD pass without causing PI on a fade. I thought that showed restraint for a young CB and some smarts. There's a reason the Packers scooped him up right away. Just saying.

I don't know if the Jets gave up on him too soon but now they are looking for CB help and picked up Cooper...is he better than Jones? Maybe. We will see. I personally liked Jones and was really hoping he could take the next step as a player.    

Maybe he is just dinged and not that good.  You quoted me before the edit, but the Packers waived him because he failed the physical.  I certainly wouldn't rely on him to start and he is dinged.  So are Kyron Brown and Trumaine.  You have to have some solid bodies for practice and Cooper is an NFL player, if a fringe one.  Maybe that is the only reason they dumped Jones.  Maybe Jones will be back, but I am not optimistic for the kid's chances.  Truth be told, I never was.  Kid like that not excelling on specials is a huge red flag for me.