Seriously, PFF needs to rethink this Sam Darnold preseason grade

This rating is ridiculous. 

Screen-Shot-2019-08-12-at-9.54.35-AM-102

I understand that the dropped INT impacts Darnold's grade, but be serious. I watched all of these other QB's while the Jets were on rain delay, and the only grade above Darnold that I could understand (arguably) was Josh Rosen. I thought Rosen was going to die out there on the field, that's how terrible that Oline in front of him was. Rosen did the best with what he was dealt, and fortunately for him he had that rookie WR that just came out ballin'. The worst QB to me was Allen. Dude as usual makes some beautiful throws when they're on target, but he's barely on target. I understand that Darnold made a poor decision on that dropped INT, but every other decision from then on were the correct one's and he was accurate with the football.  Meanwhile, Josh Allen was missing wide open players. I seen this dude throw a 10 yard pass in the dirt on 3rd and 6. It's as if Allen's arm is too powerful. Look at the video. Every touch pass, except one to a wide open Zay Jones, Allen missed on, some badly. The only passes he was able to connect on were the zip passes, and even one of those found it's way into the dirt just 10 yards down field on 3rd and 6. 

This grade for Darnold is ridiculous, especially when he showed that outside of that mistake that he could move the offense down the field with rhythm. Lamar Jackson got into the endzone but look at how that drive looked. Jackson was able to keep his drive going because on a 2nd and 10 he overthrew his TE by damn near 10 YARDS to the point that another receiver actually caught the ball that was absolutely underthrown for him since it really wasnt going to him. If Darnold is going to be penalized for a bad throw (it was a bad throw) then QB's overthrowing their target by 10 yards should be penalized as well, I dont care if a receiver that he wasnt even targeting caught the ball.

PFF needs to recalibrate their grading formula. It was a bad throw, yes it was. But it wasnt caught and Darnold shook it off as if it never even happened. 

There is a problem is football analytics that just hasn’t been resolved yet because they’re current formula is good enough. 

Baseball works because there is simply a bunch of scores worth 1 point. It’s easy to find the efficiency. Football has a clock and that’s just not taken into account properly. Theoretically, the most efficient score in football is a long bomb, and therefore scoring a long bomb every drive is the most efficient a QB can be. However, you’re more likely to win if you manage 2 30-minute long drives, one in the first half and one in the second half It’s less efficient for stat padding and analytics but better for winning. 

So basically, Darnold completed 4 passes that traveled 20 yards in the air on top of his dropped INT and he gets penalized for it.

• Upvote 4

7 minutes ago, WayneChrebet80 said:

Darnold probably isn’t the answer. I hope I’m wrong, but as mentioned Dave Gettleman would have drafted him if he was any good. 

Might seriously leave for a while because of this ******nozzle.

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

2 hours ago, kdels62 said:

There is a problem is football analytics that just hasn’t been resolved yet because they’re current formula is good enough. 

Baseball works because there is simply a bunch of scores worth 1 point. It’s easy to find the efficiency. Football has a clock and that’s just not taken into account properly. Theoretically, the most efficient score in football is a long bomb, and therefore scoring a long bomb every drive is the most efficient a QB can be. However, you’re more likely to win if you manage 2 30-minute long drives, one in the first half and one in the second half It’s less efficient for stat padding and analytics but better for winning. 

So basically, Darnold completed 4 passes that traveled 20 yards in the air on top of his dropped INT and he gets penalized for it.

There’s definitely some truth to this, but I think the trouble with PFF is that it’s not actually analytics even if it promotes itself as such. Analytics are supposed to take the the subjectivity out of the equation and just give you the straight, indisputable numbers. PFF has someone go through every play and assign their own grade, making the process inherently subjective and opinion based. That the grading system spits out a number from 0-100 doesn’t change this.

• Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 1