Jump to content
Rsherman28

Texans shopping Clowney

Recommended Posts

46 minutes ago, Raideraholic said:

 

How long has Clowney been on the trade block? If there was real interest by teams, I think a deal would have been done by now.

The Texans don’t want to give him a long term contract tells you what?   Another team going to give up draft capital , and sign him to a big contract?( how much you willing to see your team give him per year).

Texans I think wish they would have  let him leave in Fa.   Would have received draft compensation , and freed up all that money. 

Texans had to pay Hopkins, will have to pay Watson, Watt is a huge contract, Mercilus? I mean how many big time players can you pay? 

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Philc1 said:

Hey if you add half our roster last season together they had more sacks than Von Miller

FA8355BB-6B30-4630-AE45-EE1510D18C96.jpeg.68ca56ffd909d360edac938c009632f8.jpeg

Don't make me laugh. Trading for Clowney, considering his production and injury history, is foolhardy. I wasn't talking about half the roster. I was talking about two players who rotated at the same position at OLB.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Jetster said:

Texans had to pay Hopkins, will have to pay Watson, Watt is a huge contract, Mercilus? I mean how many big time players can you pay? 

Exactly and whose going to trade for a guy and pay him -  who had Microfracture surgery on his knee .     If I was him , I would sign that franchise tag before the Texans come to their senses.        Nobody paying you the money you think you're worth.    Again I wouldn't be surprised if the Texans just rescind the franchise tag, making him an unrestricted Fa.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, genot said:

Don't make me laugh. Trading for Clowney, considering his production and injury history, is foolhardy. I wasn't talking about half the roster. I was talking about two players who rotated at the same position at OLB.

Well yeah it’s not like we just passed on Khalil Mack

 

Why make one big mistake when you can make 2 in a row?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

To add to my above point....now is the time to pay a heavy pricetag at premium positions.  Spend, spend, spend until its time to pay Darnold.  

It’s incredible that posters want to be conservative and play amateur capologist when we finally have a real qb, a roster with pieces, a competent coaching staff and oh only $40 million in cap room

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

If we can sign him to a long-term extension, he's exactly the kind of player to go after.  He's only 26 and we need a 3-4 EDGE in the worst way, even if Polite works out.  

I get that he'll want more than he's worth, but he's had 18.5 sacks over the last 2 seasons, with 42 QB Hits, 37 TFL's, 3 FF, 6 FR and 2 TD's.  We haven't had a pass rusher since 2005 after we traded away John Abraham.  What am I missing here?

You’re not missing anything. The teams checkbook is. He’s a solid edge guy that can play OLB and DE but he wants top money. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, Ohio State NY Jets fan said:

good reasons to keep him, Leo should be playing hard and smart for the first time in his NFL career, kacy is the only DC he knows :(

Even if he has a monster year (we agree it's possible) do you trust him enough for the $100m contract (Mo was great in his contract year too)

Leo is one of the reasons I did not like the pick at #3 - I think it forces the Jets hand with Leo when he may need another year with an actual NFL DC

Unless he’s an unstoppable beast this year he shouldn’t get anywhere near that salary IMHO.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, MaxAF said:

Unless he’s an unstoppable beast this year he shouldn’t get anywhere near that salary IMHO.

The way the league has allowed interior Olineman on perennial contenders to literally hold as long as they don't extend their arms makes them less important unless they have that special get off burst that only a few guys in this league have. Guys like Donald, Fletcher Cox, ect. I think QW will be one of those beasts but we can't pay him & Leo so using Leo as trade bait can only help this organization. 

The problem is other GMs understand this new dynamic too so I honestly believe the only teams that would be interested in Leo are either hurting from injuries along the Dline or getting rid of a headache for a tangible player, i.e. Redskins with Trent Williams issue. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Potential Jadeveon Clowney trade destinations: Jets among fits

     
   
  • 0ap3000000935603.jpg
  • By Gregg Rosenthal
  • Around The NFL Editor
  • Published: Aug. 15, 2019 at 01:28 p.m.
  • Updated: Aug. 15, 2019 at 10:37 p.m.
  •  
 
 

 

 

Bill O'Brien and Jadeveon Clowney both arrived in Houston back in 2014 as a buzzy match. O'Brien was that year's trendy college coaching candidate and Clowney was that's year's presumptive No. 1 overall pick sensation. The likelihood that O'Brien will wind up outlasting Clowney in Houston says a lot about the state of these Texans.

O'Brien wanted the juice and he got it. In the span of 18 months, Rick Smith and Brian Gaine both became former Texans general managers. O'Brien appears to be the organization's de facto lead decision maker with no GM in place, if he wasn't quietly that guy the whole time. Even before Gaine was fired in June, it became clear that signing Clowney, who has not signed his one-year tender after being tagged in March, to a long-term deal was not a priority. 

 

 

Reports consistently indicated the two sides were nowhere close to a new deal and it appeared they weren't negotiating at all as the July 15 deadline to sign Clowney long-term came and went. The Texans are second among all NFL teams with more than $37 million in cap space, according to Over The Cap, so they could have extended Clowney if they wanted to. They didn't, but it was still stunning to read this week from the Houston Chronicle's John McClain that he'd be surprised if Clowney wasn'ttraded.

NFL Network's Mike Garafolo reported earlier this week that a deal "could happen quickly" if an interested team steps up. It's hard not to see all of this as O'Brien putting a "for sale" sign on the back of the key figure in O'Brien's only playoff victory as a head coach.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, joewilly12 said:

Potential Jadeveon Clowney trade destinations: Jets among fits

     
   
  • 0ap3000000935603.jpg
  • By Gregg Rosenthal
  • Around The NFL Editor
  • Published: Aug. 15, 2019 at 01:28 p.m.
  • Updated: Aug. 15, 2019 at 10:37 p.m.
  •  
 
 

 

 

Bill O'Brien and Jadeveon Clowney both arrived in Houston back in 2014 as a buzzy match. O'Brien was that year's trendy college coaching candidate and Clowney was that's year's presumptive No. 1 overall pick sensation. The likelihood that O'Brien will wind up outlasting Clowney in Houston says a lot about the state of these Texans.

O'Brien wanted the juice and he got it. In the span of 18 months, Rick Smith and Brian Gaine both became former Texans general managers. O'Brien appears to be the organization's de facto lead decision maker with no GM in place, if he wasn't quietly that guy the whole time. Even before Gaine was fired in June, it became clear that signing Clowney, who has not signed his one-year tender after being tagged in March, to a long-term deal was not a priority. 

 

 

Reports consistently indicated the two sides were nowhere close to a new deal and it appeared they weren't negotiating at all as the July 15 deadline to sign Clowney long-term came and went. The Texans are second among all NFL teams with more than $37 million in cap space, according to Over The Cap, so they could have extended Clowney if they wanted to. They didn't, but it was still stunning to read this week from the Houston Chronicle's John McClain that he'd be surprised if Clowney wasn'ttraded.

NFL Network's Mike Garafolo reported earlier this week that a deal "could happen quickly" if an interested team steps up. It's hard not to see all of this as O'Brien putting a "for sale" sign on the back of the key figure in O'Brien's only playoff victory as a head coach.

Make it happen Joe

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.




Content Partnership

Yes Network

Site Sponsor

MILE-Social - NJ Social Media & SEO company
×
×
  • Create New...