Anyone Else Not Care about the Corners?

jmat321

Because of the strengths of this team-the playmakers, a QB who hopefully plays well, potentially dominant DL-the Jets should do very well against other teams with weaknesses.  But given the Jets weaknesses, they will struggle against the good teams.  

When the Jets play the Browns, who is covering ODB? 

1 hour ago, SR24 said:

Would love to see Joe D swing a trade for Darius Slay. Big cap hit but he's a great talent wouldn't go any higher than a 3rd though

You aren’t getting D Slay for anything other than a first round draft choice.  He’s that good.    You want premier talent you have to pay the going rate.  You can’t get  top tier talent for peanuts- it doesn’t work that way.

6 minutes ago, Raideraholic said:

You aren’t getting D Slay for anything other than a first round draft choice.  He’s that good.    You want premier talent you have to pay the going rate.  You can’t get  top tier talent for peanuts- it doesn’t work that way.

Noone is giving up a 1st round pick for a 28yr old CB who started this offseason holding out.  

26 minutes ago, RichardTodd27 said:

You can always scheme you way around poor CB play.

Our problem was and is our pass rush.

I hope you seriously don’t believe that.  That statement says you might be a football fan- we call soccer in this country. 

You can have the greatest pass rushers around, and if your cb’s suck , than your defense going to suck.   QBs will just get it out faster ( where the best pass rushers have no chance to get there).  See Khalil Mack his Raider  career.

You have a secondary and you can get by more with having no pass rushers.  ( you can scheme a pass rush more).

17 minutes ago, SR24 said:

Noone is giving up a 1st round pick for a 28yr old CB who started this offseason holding out.  

The guy is one of the best cb’s in the game .   You serious about addressing the cb position , than you pay that price.    Hello this is Joe D ,  I’ll take D Slay off your hands for a second . Lions Gm:   Lol lol lol than click.

Jet Fan:  I want second round pick for 25 year Lb D Lee.   He might be 25 , but no one considers him the top at his position.  ( he was garbage) D Slay might be 28 but still at the top of his game.      You understand the difference.

3 hours ago, jmat321 said:

It's been a decade of Defense, Defense, Defense in JetLand.  Done with it.  The team isn't winning the Super Bowl this year. Really do not see the point of wasting draft capital or decent players under contract for 3rd tier dbs.  I'd rather see the team go long with Offense for once.  We finish 6-10, but our young QB improves, I'm fine with it.  Rather that than limp to 8-8 while giving up mid round picks for a guy who won't be on the team in 2 years.  

I couldn't care less about the cornerback position.  I just want to kiss you.

• Haha 2

15 minutes ago, Raideraholic said:

What are we going to see in the next few weeks in regards to the compensation the Jags will receive for Jalen Ramsey?

• Haha 1

17 minutes ago, JiF said:

What are we going to see in the next few weeks in regards to the compensation the Jags will receive for Jalen Ramsey?

The Raiders get him for a third round draft choice+ D Worley ( jaguars rather see him go to the Raiders , than to team in their own division-Titans) .

P.s. Have to state this is a joke , but some are dense enough to actually believe I’m being serious.  

The Raiders have their cb’s , and none of them are over 24 years old.  1.G Conley 2. D Worley .3. T Mullen 4. Nick Nelson 5. Isaiah Johnson 6a .Dylan Mabin ( hurt his hamstring ) 6b. Keisean Nixon .  Might only keep 5 CB’s as Lamarcus Joyner will be nickel cb. 

It's too late to worry about the cornerback position now we got to go with what we have and keep trying to pick up football players who belong in the NFL at that cornerback position.. next year will be the year when the Jets get their new cornerbacks exciting but I think this year the Jets will still do good with what they have but next year I can't wait

53 minutes ago, Raideraholic said:

The Raiders get him for a third round draft choice+ D Worley ( jaguars rather see him go to the Raiders , than to team in their own division-Titans) .

P.s. Have to state this is a joke , but some are dense enough to actually believe I’m being serious.  

The Raiders have their cb’s , and none of them are over 24 years old.  1.G Conley 2. D Worley .3. T Mullen 4. Nick Nelson 5. Isaiah Johnson 6a .Dylan Mabin ( hurt his hamstring ) 6b. Keisean Nixon .  Might only keep 5 CB’s as Lamarcus Joyner will be nickel cb. 

Im not asking what the Raiders would pay, I’m asking what any team is going to have to pay in the next coming weeks when Ramsey is traded...as you guaranteed he would be. 

2 hours ago, Pac said:

This is a playoff roster.  Gase and Douglas believe it too which is why they gave 9 million to a center to help Sam.

Sounds like a lot of you are in for a pleasant surprise.

Center is the second most important position on O especially with a young Qb, he is the Qb of the OL.

20 minutes ago, JiF said:

Im not asking what the Raiders would pay, I’m asking what any team is going to have to pay in the next coming weeks when Ramsey is traded...as you guaranteed he would be. 

It doesn’t matter what I say, but what the Jaguars are willing to take for Jalen Ramsey. ( they have a price  for him) Only team that matters.

Case in point everyone thought the Raiders would have to give up one of their number one picks for Antonio Brown.   They only had to give a third and a fifth. 

Btw - the Raiders are one of two teams Jalen Ramsey would like to play for . ( fact- really one as Jaguars never trade him to Titans .)

The Jaguars  would probably want a first round pick, and Cb Trayvon Mullen for Ramsey.   Raiders wouldn't do that Trade.    Now what are they willing to accept at the bare minimum for him.    We are going to find out.( doesn’t have to be the Raiders)..  If they just want a first rounder, he’s as good as gone.

2 hours ago, Raideraholic said:

I hope you seriously don’t believe that.  That statement says you might be a football fan- we call soccer in this country. 

Lol! I'm going to use that one in the future.

But seriously, the only way to stop a great QB is with a serious pass rush.  Tom Brady will testify to that.

It seems to me like the community here is just waiting for that jolt of bad news 

camp has been going smoothly and lots of  positive vibes 

makes a lot of folks around here super anxious lol

Tru should be ready in a couple weeks 

this is an opportunity to evaluate the other guys 

no need to panic 

Jets fans have a skewed vision of the corner position because of our recent history and Revis. 

Corner is the weakest position in the entire NFL. There are maybe 3 players in the entire league that I would consider elite players at the position (and all of them can't sniff Revis' jock). The new rules have made it extremely hard for corners to really impact games. 

Every team has holes, right now the Jets are bad at corner, just like most teams in the NFL. 

5 minutes ago, nico002 said:

Jets fans have a skewed vision of the corner position because of our recent history and Revis. 

Corner is the weakest position in the entire NFL. There are maybe 3 players in the entire league that I would consider elite players at the position (and all of them can't sniff Revis' jock). The new rules have made it extremely hard for corners to really impact games. 

Every team has holes, right now the Jets are bad at corner, just like most teams in the NFL. 

CB ranks fourth amongst positions at franchise tag value behind QB, DE, and WR. Coincidence? I think not. It’s a critical position on every and any NFL team. 

Side note: DE and DT listed separately each have higher value tags than the generic OL tag. 

1 minute ago, carlito1171 said:

You’ll care when you watch us piss away games because we can’t stop a nosebleed....

I know, I know that’s been our reality the last 5+ years but it will hurt even more now that we have a QB that can keep us in games....

I thought the kicker was going to cost us all the close games.

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, carlito1171 said:

You’ll care when you watch us piss away games because we can’t stop a nosebleed....

Losing a bunch of shootouts would actually be the best possible result for the 2019 Jets season.  

Stop being afraid of a sub-.500 season.  That mentality is exactly what has cost this franchise in the past.  

5 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Losing a bunch of shootouts would actually be the best possible result for the 2019 Jets season.  

Stop being afraid of a sub-.500 season.  That mentality is exactly what has cost this franchise in the past.  

No.  It costs us while we were searching for a Franchise QB. Now that we have a potential one, it’s time to start winning as long as he progresses....

3 minutes ago, carlito1171 said:

No.  It costs us while we were searching for a Franchise QB. Now that we have a potential one, it’s time to start winning as long as he progresses....

You're putting the cart before the horse.  You're saying we need to win while he progresses.  The real answer for 2019 is it doesn't matter much if we win as long as he progresses.

We have a new Coach and GM who are evaluating what we have on the roster.  The GM hasn't had his first offseason yet.   The team isn't built to compete for a title even if we traded for Jalen Ramsey right now.  

3 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

You're putting the cart before the horse.  You're saying we need to win while he progresses.  The real answer for 2019 is it doesn't matter much if we win as long as he progresses.

We have a new Coach and GM who are evaluating what we have on the roster.  The GM hasn't had his first offseason yet.   The team isn't built to compete for a title even if we traded for Jalen Ramsey right now.  

Right.

Just now, Jetsfan80 said:

You're putting the cart before the horse.  You're saying winning matters as long as he progresses.  The real answer for 2019 is it doesn't matter much if we win as long as he progresses.

“It doesn’t matter if we win or lose this season” is too vague. If we aren’t ready to win because Sam isn’t ready  to win that’s one thing. If Sam comes out blazing and we’re losing because the UDFA’s we’re throwing out there at CB are getting torched is a different conversation......

We only have about 4 years of Sam on a rookie deal....the time to patch the holes is now. Part of progressing as a team is building a team that capable of winning. You really want Sam to grow? Make sure the team is in a position to play meaningful games in December....maybe January if things break right. Look how many of these recent 2nd year QBs had great seasons because their teams really upgraded the team around them. Our GM just came from a place that was successful in doing that.....

2 minutes ago, carlito1171 said:

We only have about 4 years of Sam on a rookie deal....the time to patch the holes is now. 

Unfortunately, the time to do that is in March and April, not August.    

The time to try to win a Super Bowl is 2020 and beyond.  Its not in the cards for 2019.  Bringing in some band-aid Corners just so we can go 9-7 is no-man's land.

17 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

They shouldn’t sell out (that’s next year), but they should be doing everything possible to win now while Darnold is on his rookie deal. They may not be Super Bowl bound this year, but playoffs and making themselves an attractive FA destination next year should be THE priority. 

I’m not on board with everything John Dorsey is doing in Cleveland, but there’s no doubt he’s all in to win and the Jets should be, too. 

• Upvote 1