Gregg Williams: Jamal Adams could play corner, but we haven't crossed that bridge

Gregg Williams: Jamal Adams could play corner, but we haven’t crossed that bridge

Posted by Josh Alper on August 14, 2019, 8:58 AM EDT

gettyimages-1154796831-e1565787507736.jp
Getty Images

Injuries to Trumaine Johnson and Kyron Brownhave made the Jets’ cornerback group a subject of conversation for the team’s players and coaches this week.

Safety Jamal Adams volunteered to make the move to cornerback in order to help the team weather the storm, but it isn’t in the cards at the moment. Defensive coordinator Gregg Williams said at a Tuesday press conference that while Adams is capable of shifting positions, it isn’t something the team has considered doing at this point.

“He can do it, there’s no doubt about it,” Williams said. “He’s a good enough athlete to do that. We haven’t even crossed that bridge right now with him because he’s learning other positions too but he’s a good enough athlete to do that, yes.”

Williams said he thinks “everything’s good” with a cornerback group that added Marcus Cooper to the mix on Tuesday and the coordinator will have to be right for his unit to meet expectations come the regular season.

• Upvote 1

Have Tim White play corner. 

Tell him he has a better chance to make the team if he duals as a receiver and a backup corner, which he played in H.S.

The Jets have to try everything... including what might seem silly.

You don't move Jamal Adams off his natural position.  That is ludicrous.

• Upvote 1

This isn’t a Jamal joke, but they really should try him at corner, if only to maximize his effectiveness as well as to get the best 11 guys on the field. It’s likely that whoever the CB2 is is going to get torched anyway, so if Jamal can be even decent in coverage, it’d be a win-win. 

• Upvote 2
  • WTF? 1
  • Sympathy 1

2 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

This isn’t a Jamal joke, but they really should try him at corner, if only to maximize his effectiveness as well as to get the best 11 guys on the field. It’s likely that whoever the CB2 is is going to get torched anyway, so if Jamal can be even decent in coverage, it’d be a win-win. 

Do LSU guys play corner?

• Upvote 2

It means Jamal Adams is going to have a huge year this year if he's playing safety / cornerback he's a great athlete who's going to have a lot of interceptions and tip balls deflections. He is going to be all over the field this is going to be fun to watch

• Sympathy 1

1 minute ago, T0mShane said:

I actually want to see him get humiliated at corner so I can laugh at all the Jamal stans who think he’s good for weeks and weeks.

I don't think he is good I think he is great! I'm sorry he ran off with your wife and you have a personal vendetta against him, but hey Go Jets!!

• Haha 2

28 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Wow, this is actually very mature and reasoned for you.  Well done.

19 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

I actually want to see him get humiliated at corner so I can laugh at all the Jamal stans who think he’s good for weeks and weeks.

You bastard, you set me up.  I hate you.  

• Haha 4

15 minutes ago, Barry McCockinner said:

Make up your mind buddy.

Funny.

Perhaps I should have clarified.   Trying a fringe, backup WR like Tim White at his high school position of CB is a stretch. 

Moving a top-end safety off his natural spot makes little sense.  Leave him where he is at his best and adjust around him.   As Shane points out in every thread, Adams' skill set isn't best suitable for coverage. 

Just now, RoadFan said:

See above.

He’s played outside corner before. I know he isn’t blazing fast and I don’t think he should move to corner unless it’s a package play but I was just saying, he does have the NFL experience at the position over Tim White even if it is just a few snaps every once in awhile.

1 hour ago, T0mShane said:

Maybe he will lead all Cb’s in the NFL in interceptions too.

1 hour ago, T0mShane said:

There is a single tear running down my cheek. That was ******* beautiful, man. 

1 hour ago, TeddEY said:

Great athlete?  Not so sure.  But, at the very least, he's got the arm length to give you fan boi's the reach-around.

JA.JPG

For purposes of this discussion it's probably more accurate to compare him to DB's. Now he has a significant weight advantage as well

image.thumb.png.ea16ad8dabec62be9d790ec4da137542.png