Valentine Holmes

They had a pretty good piece on him on One Jets Drive last night. I am rooting for the kid. By now everyone knows about his rugby background but he flashed just a little in the Giants game. It will be really interesting to see how many touches he gets in this next game in Atlanta tomorrow and if he can build off his first outing.  

Holmes might not have enough to beat out a vet like Powell who can run block, a shifty guy like Eli who flashed like twice last year ?,  or a ST stud like Cannon who can really play the gunner role well. This kid can really can catch the ball. He played the wing position in rugby, which is basically a wide receiver who sits on the outside edge of the field. Valentine fits right in with guys like Ty Montgomery or Bell with his ability to run and catch but the true test will be in run blocking and ability to learn the offense.

He brings an Australian following with him. It was cool to find a video of his highlights against the Giants from rug bee analyst. 

• Upvote 3

I like him a lot. I really hope he makes this team in some way. I don’t think he will unless he just has a monster game or two but he’s a very fluid runner, he breaks tackles well, he can catch, he’s shifty. Valentine Holmes can be a nice scat back in a Gase system. He can be valuable if polished. 

• Upvote 1

Holmes looks good out there. But because of this international player program, we can keep him on the practice squad all year as long as he's not activated: 

"The four AFC East clubs will carry these overseas players on their roster until the end of training camp. At that time, the players are eligible for an international player practice squad exemption, granting them an eleventh practice squad member that is ineligible to be activated during the 2019 season." (http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000001025740/article/four-international-players-added-to-rosters-ahead-of-2019-season)

Nothing in this article as to whether other teams can poach these exempted players, but since you have to carry a poached player on your roster (and said players can't be activated for 2019) then it may not be the best use of a roster spot. 

Keep him for the year, take advantage of the roster exemption, and give him a true shot next year. 

• Upvote 3

12 minutes ago, ElBarrioJets said:

Holmes looks good out there. But because of this international player program, we can keep him on the practice squad all year as long as he's not activated: 

"The four AFC East clubs will carry these overseas players on their roster until the end of training camp. At that time, the players are eligible for an international player practice squad exemption, granting them an eleventh practice squad member that is ineligible to be activated during the 2019 season." (http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000001025740/article/four-international-players-added-to-rosters-ahead-of-2019-season)

Nothing in this article as to whether other teams can poach these exempted players, but since you have to carry a poached player on your roster (and said players can't be activated for 2019) then it may not be the best use of a roster spot. 

Keep him for the year, take advantage of the roster exemption, and give him a true shot next year. 

I don't think there's any poaching. The four players who took part in the program last year all returned to the same teams this year. 

Four players that participated in the program in 2018 -- Moritz Böhringer (Cincinnati Bengals), Christopher Ezeala (Baltimore Ravens), Tigie Sankoh (Cleveland Browns) and Christian Scotland-Williamson (Pittsburgh Steelers) -- will return to their NFC North teams for the upcoming season.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000001025740/article/four-international-players-added-to-rosters-ahead-of-2019-season

Nothing in there about an 11th practice squad spot for those NFCn teams, but it would appear that the Jets will have all of this year and next year's off/pre-season (at least) to work with him. 

Just now, slats said:

Nothing in there about an 11th practice squad spot for those NFCn teams, but it would appear that the Jets will have all of this year and next year's off/pre-season (at least) to work with him. 

And that’s awesome because with some polish I see some real potential in him on the pro level. He really can play.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, slats said:

I don't think there's any poaching. The four players who took part in the program last year all returned to the same teams this year. 

Four players that participated in the program in 2018 -- Moritz Böhringer (Cincinnati Bengals), Christopher Ezeala (Baltimore Ravens), Tigie Sankoh (Cleveland Browns) and Christian Scotland-Williamson (Pittsburgh Steelers) -- will return to their NFC North teams for the upcoming season.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000001025740/article/four-international-players-added-to-rosters-ahead-of-2019-season

Yeah I think those players are protected and cannot be signed by other teams.  

We had a few of these guys in the past. Names escaping me.  

20 minutes ago, ElBarrioJets said:

I doubt he would be interested to go to the PS.  In Rugby he is a star and can make close to a million a year.  Far more then he would make on a PS.  He's hoping to become a star in the NFL

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, flgreen said:

I doubt he would be interested to go to the PS.  In Rugby he is a star and can make close to a million a year.  Far more then he would make on a PS.  He's hoping to become a star in the NFL

I agree with this but I am sure what ever agent he has explained to him that this is going to be a long road to becoming an NFL starting running back or to even dress for a game. I know the goal is to make the 53, but realistically it might take more than 1 year, which is okay. 

Reminds me when we over looked Danny Woodhead in his preseason for the Jets.  Obviously the 2 have very different up comings, but would love to see what he can do with the 2's if he gets the shot.  

until he runs for 100+ yds in a pseason game he's no Woodhead.

upvoted for question re: $$... seems an aware young dude, so I am guessing he knows the

long-shot he is engaged in...  making the squad vesrus the PS...

he's young enough where he could go back to rugby after a 2 yr experiment/investment....

and he aint returning kicks cos he cant field punts like, nor has the jukes of, Dortch and aint as fast as Cannon (Kr)

36 minutes ago, johnnysd said:

I think he has a chance. He fits the mold of Bell and Montgomery. He needs to show up in more games, but I can definitely see him making over McGuire and Bilal (who seems to have done nothing in camp) especially if he can find a ST role.

What is this infatuation with Powell? He's been a long time Jet but has gotten hurt every year. We have Bell & Montgomery, I want young guys as back ups with more upside than Bilal. 

10 minutes ago, Jetster said:

What is this infatuation with Powell? He's been a long time Jet but has gotten hurt every year. We have Bell & Montgomery, I want young guys as back ups with more upside than Bilal. 

That excludes McGuire. 

10 minutes ago, Jetster said:

I agree. I see no reason Holmes cant learn to block. He is a rugby player, should have no fear of putting his body where it needs to be

1 minute ago, Larz said:

He’s a natural at catching the ball, doesn’t fight it like Enunwa or cannon 

He’s giving up about $600 k to try to make this happen 

curious if he takes the practice squad opportunity 

These guys had to try out to be accepted into this international opportunity position. I’m sure it was completely explained to them what their odds were and what they could probably expect. Maybe this kid just expected to defy those odds, but I’m thinking if he flashes and the Jets tell him he has a legitimate shot at a roster spot next year, he’ll jump at the taxi squad spot. 

8 minutes ago, slats said:

These guys had to try out to be accepted into this international opportunity position. I’m sure it was completely explained to them what their odds were and what they could probably expect. Maybe this kid just expected to defy those odds, but I’m thinking if he flashes and the Jets tell him he has a legitimate shot at a roster spot next year, he’ll jump at the taxi squad spot. 

I thought they Shanghai’d him at the docks 

that does change things 

14 minutes ago, slats said:

From everything I have read he is 100% committed to this. He was actually OK with not even playing (even in preseason) for an entire year. I heard him say it. I just really think he might be the best back for this team as the #3 guy.  There will be some 20 personnel this season and Vaelntine can be a great rotational player for that.