Sam Darnold: Adam Gase is crazy in the best way

New York Jets QB Sam Darnold says Adam Gase is ‘crazy in the best way’

New York Jets quarterback Sam Darnold and head coach Adam Gase are already off to a great working relationship.

The quarterback-head coach relationship might be the most important one on a football team. For the New York Jets, that means second-year quarterback Sam Darnold and head coach Adam Gase need to work well together.

According to Darnold, the pair is already off to a great start.

“He’s crazy in the best way. I think we all are,” Darnold said about Gase. “You’ve got to be a little crazy in this profession, and it’s fun to be able to gameplan with him, talk about football, but the coolest thing is being able to talk to him about things outside football — family life, friends and family, all of that kind of stuff.”

Gase does seem a little bit crazy, but in a way that every Jets fan should love. He’s a football guy’s football guy and he’s at his best when he has his head buried in a playbook. The offensive guru has to be excited about working with a quarterback as talented as Darnold.

In fact, Darnold might be the best quarterback Gase has ever coached. Sure, he coached Peyton Manningwhen he was with the Denver Broncos, but that was at the very end of Manning’s career.

Darnold put up decent numbers during his rookie season. He threw for 2,865 yards with 17 touchdowns and 15 interceptions in 13 games. However, his final four games of the season were a revelation.

Darnold returned from injury in Week 13 and played like one of the best quarterbacks in the NFL after his return. He threw for 931 yards with six touchdowns against just one interception.

The Jets are hoping that Darnold can carry that hot streak into Week 1 of the 2019 season.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/elitesportsny.com/2019/08/14/new-york-jets-video-sam-darnold-says-adam-gase-is-crazy/amp/

• Upvote 4

Just now, Patriot Killa said:

In fact, Darnold might be the best quarterback Gase has ever coached. Sure, he coached Peyton Manningwhen he was with the Denver Broncos, but that was at the very end of Manning’s career.

Idk if I agree with this.

Peyton was older but statistically had his best season ever, as well as one of the best seasons a QB has ever had in 2013.

stretch right there.

• Upvote 2

I don't wanna keep hearing about how great this is and how great that is. I wanna see it. All these great stories about what a great pair they are and how great Darnold is going to be and Adam Gase is a genius are all fine and dandy but the proof is in the pudding! I guess they have to say something when interviewed but its the same schpeal over and over again. Just show us on the field this season guys!

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 2
  • Post of the Week 1

Normally I wouldn’t even read a story like this. My initial reaction would be, it’s going to be just another feel good fluff piece.

This was different though. I have the utmost respect for Gase on this subject. If he’s not someone well versed in crazy, I don’t know who is.

55 minutes ago, Patriot Killa said:

Idk if I agree with this.

Peyton was older but statistically had his best season ever, as well as one of the best seasons a QB has ever had in 2013.

stretch right there.

Right. It's a ridiculous thing to say - top 5 all-time QB with one of his best seasons and our 2nd year QB might be better. FOH. Your entire article is worthless after reading that.

• Upvote 1

As a fifty year fan who watched Joe play as a teenager, I must say I am somewhat optimistic. God knows I have been let down more times then I can count. Yet for me it’s Jets or nothing, if that championship ever comes, I will leave this mortal coil a happy camper.
With that said, the pairing of Gase and Willams seems to be quite a sweet spot. A young offensive guru who is on the rise along with an older solid defensive mind who continues to confound offenses. In my fifty years this certainly seems to be what many of the old guard have been waiting for.
Not just winning but, building a dynasty for a long run to make us all proud to support our team.

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

1 hour ago, fltflo said:

As a fifty year fan who watched Joe play as a teenager, I must say I am somewhat optimistic. God knows I have been let down more times then I can count. Yet for me it’s Jets or nothing, if that championship ever comes, I will leave this mortal coil a happy camper.
With that said, the pairing of Gase and Willams seems to be quite a sweet spot. A young offensive guru who is on the rise along with an older solid defensive mind who continues to confound offenses. In my fifty years this certainly seems to be what many of the old guard have been waiting for.
Not just winning but, building a dynasty for a long run to make us all proud to support our team.

You watched Joe play? I wish I could have seen that 

59 minutes ago, BornJetsFan1983 said:

You watched Joe play? I wish I could have seen that 

I even remember bits of his last year at Alabama. The Jets drafted Namath and John Huarte, the Norte Dame QB both in the ‘64 Draft. Joe in the 1st, and I want to say Huarte in the 4th. Namath signed a 4 year, $400,000 contract, which was a fortune back then.

We didn’t get to see his home games, but kids back then all had transistor radios. Namath was like the little girl with curls. When he was good he was very good, but when he was bad... well, let’s just say he could try your patience sometimes with some of his ints.

I loved him though. It drove my dad and grandfather crazy that I rooted for the Jets instead of the Giants, and it was all because of Joe.