Jump to content

Jimmy Garoppolo throws 5 consecutive INTs in practice


Recommended Posts

Never heard of anything like that before.  Not even from Mark Sanchez or Christian Hackenberg.  

 

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000001041319/article/jimmy-garoppolo-throws-5-consecutive-ints-in-practice

Jimmy Garoppolo throws 5 consecutive INTs in practice

  • 0ap3000000923719.jpg
  • By Jeremy Bergman
  • Around The NFL Writer
  • Published: Aug. 14, 2019 at 04:43 p.m.

 

Jimmy Garoppolo enjoyed a terrible, horrible, no good, very bad day at the office on Wednesday afternoon.

During one stretch of practice, the San Francisco 49ers starting quarterback threw five consecutive interceptions to Richard Sherman, Ahkello Witherspoon, Jaquiski Tartt and Tarvarius Moore (twice), per NBC Sports Bay Area's Matt Maiocco.

Jimmy G broke the spell with a touchdown pass to rookie Jalen Hurd, but the damage was done, acknowledged by the onlooking press and Garoppolo's head coach.

"He threw it to the wrong team five plays in a row," Niners coach Kyle Shanahan said bluntly. "I was a defensive coach today, so I was pumped. But no, the defense did great today and obviously he struggled.

"You hope to never have a day like that, but I don't think it's never not happened to anyone. When you do that, you hope you can practice long enough and give him a chance to play out of it and use it as an opportunity that hopefully you can do in a game. Hopefully you don't have five in the game, but you can play yourself out of two in a row or something like that."

Wednesday was San Francisco's last practice before traveling to Denver to take part in joint practices with the Broncos on Friday and Saturday. The 49ers will play Denver on Monday night, when Garoppolo is expected to make his preseason debut, his first on-field appearance since tearing his ACL in September.

Shanahan said he was unsure whether Garoppolo would play longer than one or two series, saying, "That depends on how the practices go this week."

If Jimmy G continues to throw to the wrong team (the Broncos) in the coming days, he might not be long for game action on Monday evening.

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just another case of a team throwing mad money at a guy who looked good for about 15 minutes the season before.  He turned a good stretch of 5 games into a 5-year $137.5MM contract.  What could possibly go wrong?

Scott Mitchell, where are you? Ryan Fitzpatrick, Colin Kaepernick, Matt Flynn, Brock Osweiller, Joe Flacco, the list goes on.  Teams never learn.

And Dak Prescott thinks his slightly above average play behind the best O-Line in football is worth Aaron Rodgers money.  Maybe Jerry Jones will break the spell.

  • Upvote 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Never heard of anything like that before.  Not even from Mark Sanchez or Christian Hackenberg.  

 

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000001041319/article/jimmy-garoppolo-throws-5-consecutive-ints-in-practice

Jimmy Garoppolo throws 5 consecutive INTs in practice

  • 0ap3000000923719.jpg
  • By Jeremy Bergman
  • Around The NFL Writer
  • Published: Aug. 14, 2019 at 04:43 p.m.

 

Jimmy Garoppolo enjoyed a terrible, horrible, no good, very bad day at the office on Wednesday afternoon.

During one stretch of practice, the San Francisco 49ers starting quarterback threw five consecutive interceptions to Richard Sherman, Ahkello Witherspoon, Jaquiski Tartt and Tarvarius Moore (twice), per NBC Sports Bay Area's Matt Maiocco.

Jimmy G broke the spell with a touchdown pass to rookie Jalen Hurd, but the damage was done, acknowledged by the onlooking press and Garoppolo's head coach.

"He threw it to the wrong team five plays in a row," Niners coach Kyle Shanahan said bluntly. "I was a defensive coach today, so I was pumped. But no, the defense did great today and obviously he struggled.

"You hope to never have a day like that, but I don't think it's never not happened to anyone. When you do that, you hope you can practice long enough and give him a chance to play out of it and use it as an opportunity that hopefully you can do in a game. Hopefully you don't have five in the game, but you can play yourself out of two in a row or something like that."

Wednesday was San Francisco's last practice before traveling to Denver to take part in joint practices with the Broncos on Friday and Saturday. The 49ers will play Denver on Monday night, when Garoppolo is expected to make his preseason debut, his first on-field appearance since tearing his ACL in September.

Shanahan said he was unsure whether Garoppolo would play longer than one or two series, saying, "That depends on how the practices go this week."

If Jimmy G continues to throw to the wrong team (the Broncos) in the coming days, he might not be long for game action on Monday evening.

Hack was not accurate enough to throw INTs

  • Upvote 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, nycdan said:

Just another case of a team throwing mad money at a guy who looked good for about 15 minutes the season before.  He turned a good stretch of 5 games into a 5-year $137.5MM contract.  What could possibly go wrong?

Scott Mitchell, where are you? Ryan Fitzgerald, Colin Kaepernick, Matt Flynn, Brock Osweiller, Joe Flacco, the list goes on.  Teams never learn.

And Dak Prescott thinks his slightly above average play behind the best O-Line in football is worth Aaron Rodgers money.  Maybe Jerry Jones will break the spell.

Flacco? He may not be an all-time great but he was a Super Bowl MVP. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, shevys said:

Flacco? He may not be an all-time great but he was a Super Bowl MVP. 

Yes, and that win got him PAID.  He rode Baltimore's defense most of the way and BAL had no choice really but to pay him but how did that work out over the next 5 years?  The very next season he threw 19 TDs and 22 INTs en route to an 8-8 season.  

When teams pay guys like Rodgers, Brees, Rivers, Wilson and Ryan big bucks, I get it.  Those guys can carry a good team to greatness.  It's when the other QBs, who can mostly just ride a great team to success, want the same money that I would be very afraid.  Hopefully we have the first kind of QB now and it's been a LONG time since I had any hope of that.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 minutes ago, nycdan said:

Yes, and that win got him PAID.  He rode Baltimore's defense most of the way and BAL had no choice really but to pay him but how did that work out over the next 5 years?  The very next season he threw 19 TDs and 22 INTs en route to an 8-8 season.  

When teams pay guys like Rodgers, Brees, Rivers, Wilson and Ryan big bucks, I get it.  Those guys can carry a good team to greatness.  It's when the other QBs, who can mostly just ride a great team to success, want the same money that I would be very afraid.  Hopefully we have the first kind of QB now and it's been a LONG time since I had any hope of that.

Ryan? LOL. OK. Hes tall, skinny Andy Dalton. Nothing more. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 minutes ago, nycdan said:

Yes, and that win got him PAID.  He rode Baltimore's defense most of the way and BAL had no choice really but to pay him but how did that work out over the next 5 years?  The very next season he threw 19 TDs and 22 INTs en route to an 8-8 season.  

When teams pay guys like Rodgers, Brees, Rivers, Wilson and Ryan big bucks, I get it.  Those guys can carry a good team to greatness.  It's when the other QBs, who can mostly just ride a great team to success, want the same money that I would be very afraid.  Hopefully we have the first kind of QB now and it's been a LONG time since I had any hope of that.

Flacco was incredible during that SB run, he led that team.  He won games that postseason when the opponent scored 35 and 31.  Certain other QBs that have won a SB never won a playoff game when an opponent scored more than 20.

Flacco earned his money by basically carrying Baltimore to a SB regardless what happened after where he never had a sub .500 record in a full season.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 minutes ago, nyjunc said:

Flacco was incredible during that SB run, he led that team.  He won games that postseason when the opponent scored 35 and 31.  Certain other QBs that have won a SB never won a playoff game when an opponent scored more than 20.

Flacco earned his money by basically carrying Baltimore to a SB regardless what happened after where he never had a sub .500 record in a full season.

Not disagreeing.  Forgot how good he was the entire post-season but I remember the debate over whether he earned being the highest-paid QB at that time.  You could say they paid him for past performance since he never really repeated it, and he did go 8-8 twice in the next 5 years and only made the playoffs once more I believe.  I think he had them in a tough spot and they gave in and it probably contributed to them not being able to repeat with that incredible defense.  In fairness though I think Lewis and Reed retired right around then so maybe I'm being a little harsh.

 

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 minutes ago, Jet_Engine1 said:

Ryan? LOL. OK. Hes tall, skinny Andy Dalton. Nothing more. 

That is so far off base as to be laughable.  Despite his Super Bowl meltdown (which was not all on him) he has been an incredibly consistent QB for a decade.  Far, far better than Dalton in every measurable way.  And when you compare their playoff performance, you realize you are comparing apples and apesh-t.

Ryan (playoffs): 20 TD, 7 INT, 67.5% comp%

Dalton (playoffs): 1 TD, 6 INT, 55.7% comp%

I guess you could argue Dalton threw less playoff INTs than Ryan if you really want to die on this hill.

  • Upvote 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, nycdan said:

That is so far off base as to be laughable.  Despite his Super Bowl meltdown (which was not all on him) he has been an incredibly consistent QB for a decade.  Far, far better than Dalton in every measurable way.  And when you compare their playoff performance, you realize you are comparing apples and apesh-t.

Ryan (playoffs): 20 TD, 7 INT, 67.5% comp%

Dalton (playoffs): 1 TD, 6 INT, 55.7% comp%

I guess you could argue Dalton threw less playoff INTs than Ryan if you really want to die on this hill.

 

To think if we had tanked properly in 2005, Matt Ryan could have been our franchise QB.  

Think we win at least one title with Matt Ryan on those 2009 and 2010 teams?  I do.  Even with Mangini as the HC.  

  • Upvote 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

27 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

 

To think if we had tanked properly in 2005, Matt Ryan could have been our franchise QB.  

Think we win at least one title with Matt Ryan on those 2009 and 2010 teams?  I do.  Even with Mangini as the HC.  

I could not agree more.  Ryan on those teams could easily have put us in both super bowls and I would think we'd have walked away with at least one trophy.

But hey, then we would have missed out on Gholston.

  • Haha 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...