Cool Joe Namath story

Jetster

1 minute ago, 14 in Green said:

Or maybe you could lighten up. It doesn’t take much to trigger you does it?

Yeah he drank, and chased woman. His life is far from “screwed up”. He played QB in NY, lived the single life in an era that was different then now. People drank. Smoked. He might have over drank when he retired. People do that sometimes. He didn’t f up for 40 years, that’s you making s**t up. Even if he did it half that time he stopped. Good for him. Then he told people about how and why he did it. 

He’s close with his kids, has money, very few enemies, and a lot of friends. He’s actually a legendary figure in this town. Not a bad life, actually.

But you do you. Look to argue over nothing.  Call him “a drunk, a womanizer, and a wreck who took 40 years to straighten out.” Cause you knew him... and what kind of person he was all those years.

Read his book trigger man. 

Or not. 

Don't care. 

Drunk womanizer and wreck are HIS words. Not mine. I just report the facts, just the facts. 

I personally think Sam will be quite the gentleman and good guy to talk to 50 years from now but we all get you don’t like Sam.   

On ‎8‎/‎16‎/‎2019 at 7:47 PM, 14 in Green said:

You know, it’s a funny thing with these celebs. A person meets them at the right or wrong time, never sees them again, yet form an opinion of them for the rest of their life. We all do it.

I dated a woman for a few years who lived in Weston(?), Florida before I met her. She owned a salon, and Marino would get his hair cut there. He gave her a gig doing his and his guests hair and makeup for a local show he had down there during football season. She always talked about what a nice guy he was.

Two of my old buddies are in that area now. One golfs with him fairly often, obviously likes him. The other did some work on his house, didn’t like him.

Who knows?

This isn't a meet & greet opinion of mine. He has been here several times and the last visit  he was at a cocktail party with us for 3.5 hrs. I wasn't in his 4some but my 2 friends who were both said he was an ass. ( as he was on the 19th hole). How can you be a dick at a golf course?

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, joewilly said:

This isn't a meet & greet opinion of mine. He has been here several times and the last visit  he was at a cocktail party with us for 3.5 hrs. I wasn't in his 4some but my 2 friends who were both said he was an ass. ( as he was on the 19th hole). How can you be a dick at a golf course?

To be fair, sometimes a round of golf can really bring out the worst in people. I have had good friends and even bosses who were nice in real life but on a golf course were just complete asshats. 

Joe Namath is why I am a Jets fan. Met him once and actually caught some very slow passes from him at a block party where I lived in Queens back in 71 or 72. I was very wide eyed. Never met him as an adult.

Silly thing:: after seeing Staubach throw a rope at the draft a couple years ago, I would really love to know if Joe can still throw the ball at all.

10 hours ago, joewilly said:

2 hours ago, johnnysd said:

To be fair, sometimes a round of golf can really bring out the worst in people. I have had good friends and even bosses who were nice in real life but on a golf course were just complete asshats. 

Joe Namath is why I am a Jets fan. Met him once and actually caught some very slow passes from him at a block party where I lived in Queens back in 71 or 72. I was very wide eyed. Never met him as an adult.

Silly thing:: after seeing Staubach throw a rope at the draft a couple years ago, I would really love to know if Joe can still throw the ball at all.

I golfed with Mike Schmidt once. 

Somebody bought a charity foursome and it was just us, not a golf outing. 

A total dick. 

Didn't want to talk about baseball or his career or anything. Talked about his boat and his kids.

I asked him about facing Seaver and he mumbled something and that was it.

We basically stopped asking him questions after about 8 holes. But he signed a bunch of baseballs for us. 

By contrast, had dinner with Fred Lynn and we couldn’t shut him up lol.  He was great.  

Nanath's only flaw is that he touted 2 really bad qbs, AL Woodall and Richard Todd. These qb's stunk and absolutely wasted a great supporting cast around them. So he isn't that great a judge of talent. He also is the indirect reason we lost Riggins. But he gave us fans great thrills. I still remember listening to Marty Glickman on the radio: "Out of the huddle come the Jets, Namath barks the signals..."