We actually have Offensive Line Depth

BCJet

6 minutes ago, BCJet said:

For the first time in ages we have real, actual NFL depth on our offensive line.  

Compton and Lewis are FAR from the upper echelon of NFL talent, but they are excellent backups who have starting experience at multiple positions, including LT for Lewis.

On top of that Harrison is about to become a backup and Egoda seems to be at least serviceable as a rookie, who can hopefully develop into a starter.

Douglas will surely add to this group next year when Winters (thankfully) leaves, but this is not the same type of group we have had here the past 3 years.

Yep. Just like that we have a decent OL situation. We have guys going down all over the place and still have guys who are better than our starters over the ;last few years coming in as depth.  I agree that this is just the bandaid year in an effort to keep Sam as safe as possible while Douglas rubs his hands together thinking about his overall plan to build the most powerhouse OL  in the entire NFL.  

Just a little love and we are better. 

1 minute ago, Joe W. Namath said:

Is there even a dropoff.  Compton and Lewis are really good.  Egoda could be a star etc.

If there is a dropoff, its negligable.

That was basically my point of the thread.  We are def better with Osmele out there, but who knows between compton and winters and having Lewis being able to back up LT and LG, with Harrison backing up center, and Udoga being the swing tackle, we are much stronger then people think.

21 minutes ago, GreenFish said:

The OL and the pass rush were the two main bright spots for today. We have something brewing.

The coverage by the CBs was decent most of the game. Campbell stood out and could make the team if he keeps up his play like tonight. No real big plays down field, but hey when you generate consistent pressure that helps the secondary as well. Nice to have a real Defensive Coordinator and not one that had no business doing the job.

I watched Edoga every play and he was really legit.  He gave up one sack anticipating a speed rush outside and for caught breaking his stance a best too late and got beat on speed I side rush- just wasn't ready for it but he is absolutely physically starter material. 

Mirrored Grady Jenkins perfectly most plays.  Got the defender turned in most run plays.  Pencil him in as next year's starting RT.  

I wish they'd moved him over to LT a little this game.

And I think Alex Lewis definitely makes this team. A little slow footed but he appeared damn near winters level.

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

Let's turn the OLine into a strength of the team rather than having it be an afterthought.  I'd be looking for a future franchise LT in next year's 1st round and try to identify a Center somewhere in the middle rounds.

Having guys like Harrison, Alex Lewis, Tom Compton and either Chuma or Shell as 2nd teamers is a big step for this team.

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

6 hours ago, David Harris said:

I watched Edoga every play and he was really legit.  He gave up one sack anticipating a speed rush outside and for caught breaking his stance a best too late and got beat on speed I side rush- just wasn't ready for it but he is absolutely physically starter material. 

Mirrored Grady Jenkins perfectly most plays.  Got the defender turned in most run plays.  Pencil him in as next year's starting RT.  

And I think Alex Lewis definitely makes this team. A little slow footed but he appeared damn near winters level.

Plus it was Beasley that beat him, a legit 15 sack guy so I can see Chuma stealing Shells spot maybe before the end of the season. I also think we have 2/3 guys that SHOULD replace Winters this year. Winters has benefitted being the best Olineman out of pile of trash. 

7 hours ago, David Harris said:

One of the most underrated developments of camp.  Edoga is playing RT as well if not better than shell.  Shell’s miss vs the dolphins got darnold injured last year, he’s a below average.

wouldn’t it be ironic if mccagnan got fired in part b/c of his inattentiveness to the OL and then drafts a starting tackle in his final draft, a guy who starts as a rookie, who can play LT or RT.

9 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

One of the most underrated developments of camp.  Edoga is playing RT as well if not better than shell.  Shell’s miss vs the dolphins got darnold injured last year, he’s a below average.

wouldn’t it be ironic if mccagnan got fired in part b/c of his inattentiveness to the OL and then drafts a starting tackle in his final draft, a guy who starts as a rookie, who can play LT or RT.

Shell isnt great and is coming off injury, but if Edoga gets his head on straight and puts in the work its possible he can be the LT starting next season and allow us to find a RT which is easier.  

the oline played better but it's still only preseason.  the thing about it is they don't need a line made up of stars.  what they need are 5 guys who can play together and understand the blocking schemes and responsibilities.  couple that to a qb that knows when to throw the ball and it should all turn out pretty well.