Game Observations (ATL)

KRL

1 hour ago, sec101row23 said:

If you HAD to play one of them at RB, McGuire is the better back.   Cannon, for a guy who is supposedly fast, has the change of direction ability and the elusiveness of a snail.   Plus, he’s doesn’t really posses a quick first step and takes several strides to get up to speed.   If Bellamy or Thompson can be adequate at gunner, I think you cut Cannon.   

McGuire's supposed talent is a myth around here, based entirely on the memory of one big run he broke the first time we saw him 2 years ago, when Powell took a breather after running all over that D the entire day. He's been horrifically bad ever since then, averaging under 3 YPC.  McGuire does nothing but run into the back of his OL and fall over at a slower pace than Cannon does.

Don't get me wrong, I have no issue with them getting rid of Cannon if they can find special team replacements, because he certainly sucks at RB.  McGuire would simply be a wasted roster spot in every sense of the word.  You can find guys on the scrap heap mid-season with more talent than he has.

• Upvote 2

Great summary.  I think Webb is ;earning a new offense and has a lot of talent so I wouldn't toss him away yet. But yes Falk looks great.   Falk was with Gase last year so he knows the offense and he definitely looks like he very well might be our backup.    Best case scenario.... Falk keeps playing like he his.  Webb improves over the last 2 weeks of camp and there is an injury or two and we can trade Seimian for something.   Might be crazy having Falk as the backup and Webb as the #3 but I like what this coaching staff has done with Darnold and with Falk.   I think they can get Webb to play better.  

10 minutes ago, Bleedin Green said:

McGuire's supposed talent is a myth around here, based entirely on the memory of one big run he broke the first time we saw him 2 years ago, when Powell took a breather after running all over that D the entire day. He's been horrifically bad ever since then, averaging under 3 YPC.  McGuire does nothing but run into the back of his OL and fall over at a slower pace than Cannon does.

Don't get me wrong, I have no issue with them getting rid of Cannon if they can find special team replacements, because he certainly sucks at RB.  McGuire would simply be a wasted roster spot in every sense of the word.  You can find guys on the scrap heap mid-season with more talent than he has.

Mcguire is awful. He can't play special teams, he pitter patters behind the line. Has limited vision. 

His one skill is being fast in the open field if a huge hole opens up for him. 

Cannon hasn't really shown much as a RB, but at least he is a special teams asset. 

Very pleased overall with the team  If Kalil practices this week and plays next game and doesn’t look like a guy who was retired then this offense could be productive efficient and reliable. 

Defense needs to stay healthy, loads of talent all over the place 

Special teams a wild card. Sometimes they are auditioning guys who won’t necessarily be here later, not going to get too excited but they don’t have to win the game but it’s so awful right now that they might lose a game 

59 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

while there are a few glaring positions of need, there don't seem to be that many anymore.  and ironically OL could be in good shape if edoga is the real deal.

The only glaring hole is CB with Tru down.  Even OLB, it's not good but it's not glaringly bad.    Jenkins is just a solid all around Football player that every team loves having because he's does it all and is a great leaders as well.  Brandon Copeland looks like given the chance, he can play.  He's a great athlete who looks to be finding himself.  And I like Luvu too.  Do I think any give you comfort you're set?  No.  But they're not bums either, they belong. 

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, JiF said:

The only glaring hole is CB with Tru down.  Even OLB, it's not good but it's not glaringly bad.    Jenkins is just a solid all around Football player that every team loves having because he's does it all and is a great leaders as well.  Brandon Copeland looks like given the chance, he can play.  He's a great athlete who looks to be finding himself.  And I like Luvu too.  Do I think any give you comfort you're set?  No.  But they're not bums either, they belong. 

The problem with the front seven is that they’re slow all over the place, except for Copeland, who is a meh player. They could use a really athletic DE to clean up the mess that Quinnen and Leonard/Anderson can make so they don’t have to keep bringing the strong safety down to do it. I wouldn’t want to pay him, but putting Clowney on this defense in a closer role off the edge would be awesome.

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

The problem with the front seven is that they’re slow all over the place, except for Copeland, who is a meh player. They could use a really athletic DE to clean up the mess that Quinnen and Leonard/Anderson can make so they don’t have to keep bringing the strong safety down to do it. I wouldn’t want to pay him, but putting Clowney on this defense in a closer role off the edge would be awesome.

they're gonna blitz, and sometimes they're gonna get burned.  that's the 2019 nyj defense.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Augustiniak said:

again, that's your 2019 nyj defense.  the good news is, darnold will become a star, the offense will score a lot of points and the jets will be VERY fantasy relevant.  

listen, I'm as optimistic about Sam as the next guy, but to expect more than 35 ppg ON AVERAGE from this offense is crazy talk!!

1 hour ago, JiF said:

Why is it reckless?  Is he going to hurt someone with that opinion? 

Point made. 

I’m probably projecting my own insecurities. I’ve watched this team too often settle for Montgomerys while we should be reaching for Kamaras - because of a few flash in the pan moments 

13 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

i didn't say the jets would score 35ppg.  i said they would score a lot.  they will win some shootouts and lose some.

I know you did not, but you were responding to someone who said we would give up 35 ppg, and you said we'd be fine because of Darnold.  Hey, I HOPE I'm wrong!!  

either way, when was the last time we saw an offense liek that last night and last week?  Gase said he wants Sam at the line with ~25 seconds on clock.  check his plays - he pretty much was!  it's exciting that's for sure!

50 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Luvu and Copeland look like they have some speed but yeah, I agree, they need a DE/OLB type that offenses game plan for...right now,  offense are just going to man up and try to win 1on1 battles.  Which means we're going to have to blitz, a lot, to get pressure.   Though, I think they're going to be able to use Williamson in a lot of different ways with Mosley in there.  Not that he'll be a pass rusher but at least not have to send a DB on every blitz. 

29 minutes ago, Paradis said:

Point made. 

I’m probably projecting my own insecurities. I’ve watched this team too often settle for Montgomerys while we should be reaching for Kamaras - because of a few flash in the pan moments 

lol I get it.  That said, Bell and Montgomery look like a fun duo.  And Powell is about as good of a #3 as you could have if they decide to go that route, which I think they should.  Probably the best depth we've had since, I dont know when, really.

• Upvote 2

13 minutes ago, JiF said:

lol I get it.  That said, Bell and Montgomery look like a fun duo.  And Powell is about as good of a #3 as you could have if they decide to go that route, which I think they should.  Probably the best depth we've had since, I dont know when, really.

I give the chances of Ty and BP staying healthy around 20%

where our laurels should be sitting, is with 2 wasted picks in Eli and Cannon. If you blindly picked names out of the RB Draft hat, we’d have faired better. 

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, KRL said:

A couple of other things:

- Shabby TE blocking by Ryan Griffin and Daniel Brown.  You have to do more
than "get in the way" on your assignments.  If they want extra reps when 
Herndon is out they have to do better

- Trenton Cannon may make the team because of his special teams ability.  But
his instincts as an RB are bad, particularly when he's asked to run up the
middle

- Jordan Jenkins had a good game as he compressed the pocket and made
Ryan uncomfortable

- Quinnen Williams had no "stats" but he was an under the radar factor in
pressuring Ryan.  He was able to draw a holding penalty on one penetration.
And forced Ryan into a hurried throw when he disposed of an OLineman

- James Burgess deserves a mention along with Hewitt and Wint because he
also had a strong game.  He showed good coverage skills 20+ yards down the
field on a wheel route and ended the game with a "pick 6"

- People may focus on the sack he gave up but Chuma Edoga was solid in an
unexpected start.  As a rookie he was able to hold up in pass protection
against Beasley and pushed him around in the run game

And Maulet was abused over and over.

1 hour ago, Larz said:

Very pleased overall with the team  If Kalil practices this week and plays next game and doesn’t look like a guy who was retired then this offense could be productive efficient and reliable. 

Defense needs to stay healthy, loads of talent all over the place 

Special teams a wild card. Sometimes they are auditioning guys who won’t necessarily be here later, not going to get too excited but they don’t have to win the game but it’s so awful right now that they might lose a game 

Gase said he has to get him down from 291, 3rd game if we don't see here ( only Preseason game worth a sh*t) he will definitely be in for the last with all the 2's, 3's and 4's. Baby steps.

56 minutes ago, ChuckkieB said:

My takeaway from the the game is this - watching Darnold take control of the offense and move the ball down the field makes me very happy.  

Cannot wait for the season to start.

He just looks so in control of the offense. Knows where to go with the ball, sees the entire field. 

I haven’t had this much confidence in a QB since Penny and Penny didn’t have Sam’s arms or mobility. 

I would LOVE for Penny to come in and teach him play action play fakes. 

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, joewilly12 said:

CB and K are a concern I fully expect to see others brought in until we get it right. 

JD will start collecting pieces Sept. 1st. Unless he makes a couple trades which I wouldn't expect... and despite it being a popular topic around here Leo is not getting traded. Wait till you see him with Quinnen and Anderson on the same line... ridiculous... we haven't seen it yet. 

• Upvote 2

34 minutes ago, Paradis said:

I give the chances of Ty and BP staying healthy around 20%

where our laurels should be sitting, is with 2 wasted picks in Eli and Cannon. If you blindly picked names out of the RB Draft hat, we’d have faired better. 

20%?  Even with Bell in front of them?   Harsh.

Totally agree a blind monkey with darts hitting the draft board > Mac drafting. 

1 hour ago, T0mShane said:

Based on how the Eagles were built, QW is our Fletcher Cox, Leo our Malik Jackson & Clowney would be our Brandon Graham. Jets have better overall LBs than the Eagles & yes Tom Shane, Jamal Adams is player.

5 hours ago, sec101row23 said:

I still think this team is one more offseason away from being really good.  Adding some better athletes at WR and CB will make this team a legit playoff contender.   Thankfully next years draft should line up nicely for Joe Douglas and he can upgrade those positions in the offseason.   Enunwa is ok, he’s just not a difference maker and has questionable hands IMO.  

Enu needs to make that catch in the end zone. His hands are starting to annoy me. He's a monster with the ball in his hands, but he needs to make the catch first. Can't have missed opportunities; especially not when it loses points.

As we saw with the falcons at the end of the first half, dropped TDs more often than not result in FGs, and with our defense, giving up 4 points is going to hurt. Plus, between the K we've seen so far this preseason, even a 20 yard FG is no gimmie.

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, JiF said:

20%?  Even with Bell in front of them?   Harsh.

Totally agree a blind monkey with darts hitting the draft board > Mac drafting. 

I dunno, maybe you're right. I don't know too many backs who get injury and correct that trend.. it seems to just happen more frequently. 

I just want to win. 

So after watching the game this morning, here are my observations:

Sam Darnold is a sponge. You can almost see the wheels turning with almost every play he participates in. He's got a quiet confidence about him. He is undoubtedly becoming a great leader for this offense and the team overall. His learning curve is speeding up tremendously. Matt Ryan is a good QB, and yet Darnold is so bleeding with potential, I find myself thinking Sam will easily surpass Matt Ryan as a QB.

Jamal Adams is the best player on this team. Virtually everything he does on the field he does well. He's everywhere on the field. Recently, I saw a compilation of Troy Polamalu highlights on Facebook. Adams isn't even close to the kind of player Polamalu was, but he has the talent to become that good. I look forward to watching what he'll become in the prime of his career. He hasn't reached his prime yet. He's still ascending.

The whole team looked better this week. Obviously, this is what the preseason is for, but the team played much better as a group. I saw a lot more things to be optimistic about as opposed to the Giants game.

HONEST QUESTION - not attempting to be sarcastic or anything... Did Mike Maccagnan ever have any idea what he was doing? When he was tasked to pick diamonds in the rough and not no brainer picks like Adams, Darnold, he was an utter failure. I heard all the glowing reviews Mac gave Nate Shepard after he was selected. Nate Shepard is a very ordinary player. He was nothing special even playing with 2's and 3's. Shepard was not good value in the 3rd round.

The Jets kicking game is in dire straits. Taylor Bertolet is a terrible kicker. Unless the Jets manage to pull off a late acquisition after final roster cuts, the kicking will be responsible for the Jets losing games this season.

As I study Quinnen Williams, he's a load to get moved. I don't think he's going to come into the league and become the next Reggie White, he won't be big on statistics this season.  But because he's so strong at the point of attack, he's going to set up the rest of the DL for success.

Other than the above, I agree with all of your observations. Jachai Polite, as it stands right now, would be cut of he hadn't been a 3rd round draft choice.

• Upvote 2