Coaching Matters

Jetster

57 minutes ago, RoadFan said:

The irony is Gase ran the slowest offense in the league between plays  last season with the Dolphins. 

He did that for the opposite reason and different roster composition.  Especially poor QB play.  He tried to keep the clock moving when possible, and then generate big plays with guys like Stills and Wilson since long drives were unlikely.

We have a coach fellas...

This is such a great point and observation. It is very promising that Gase’s scheme is fluid and actually changes with personnel, opponent, etc.

In Miami, he knew he was extremely limited at QB/OL. Clock management was paramount to keep them in games.

I am loving the uptempo, no huddle. I’ve wished we had a no huddle/up tempo offense since Jim Kelly ran it down our throats with Buffalo. We just never had the coaches or personnel...

...until now (grinch smile)

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

5 hours ago, Jetster said:

Personally I'm tired of seeing a Winters pushed into the backfield & getting our running plays blown up. I think Winters losing his job is a forgone conclusion under this new coaching staff. 

I think the previous staff rocked the boat as little as possible to hold onto their jobs for as long as possible. "Oh, an established starter. Let's not change him because if the new guy sucks it'll have been our choice."

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Jet Nut said:

Seemingly, Lol

I got beat up repeatedly. 

Don't you get it, he was 23-25 with that juggernaut in Miami and the 4 HOF QBs he had down there.

The team looks good, Darnold looks like a legitimate franchise QB but seriously, it's two pre-season games - let's not start inducting Gase in the HOF quite yet.

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, BUM-KNEE said:

I know when I watch the D, it  is flying around and hitting hard. They look vastly different than when Bowles and crew were here. Its nice to see them motivated and giving max effort.

That is because of Gregg W. I'm glad he's here creating a legit defensive unit out of these guys. The sky is the limit save for the deficiencies in talent at a few spots.

I expect GW's formula for the defense is to attempt to force turnovers at every opportunity.  Including punching at the ball constantly...  And since the corners are lousy, he is going to allow them to gamble... guess on routes more than usual. 

They will give up big plays when they guess wrong... but because the Jets offense is going to score, a couple of turnovers here and there is often enough to win games.

"Playing it safe" doesnt make much sense with bad corners.  It will prolong drives and keeps the defense on the field longer than necessary.  Better to hit big or miss big IMO.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

2 hours ago, Jet Nut said:

After seemingly being the only person here who wanted Gase hired, who has defended his time in Miami, its kind of interesting to read threads like these.

My posts have been very upbeat about Gase since the day he was hired.

8 minutes ago, RoadFan said:

I expect GW's formula for the defense is to attempt to force turnovers at every opportunity.  Including punching at the ball constantly...  And since the corners are lousy, he is going to allow them to gamble... guess on routes more than usual. 

They will give up big plays when they guess wrong... but because the Jets offense is going to score, a couple of turnovers here and there is often enough to win games.

"Playing it safe" doesnt make much sense with bad corners.  It will prolong drives and keeps the defense on the field longer than necessary.  Better to hit big or miss big IMO.

Agree

3 hours ago, Jet Nut said:

After seemingly being the only person here who wanted Gase hired, who has defended his time in Miami, its kind of interesting to read threads like these.

You weren't the only one. 

I was all over Gase.  But I was banned during some of the coaching search era and when he was hired.  I pumped him up before he was hired, and after I returned... with a new attitude.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Charlie Brown said:

Thank you....

It is Simple

1. Owner, 2.GM, 3. HC (and Staff) and 4, QB

One of these is out of wack for long you can not win for long in the NFL, Period!

Correct. Also, add in an Offensive Line, Defensive Line and a Kicker with all aligned above and then you can think consistent winning.

• Upvote 1

Honestly I see no reason whatsoever to temper my expectations. I go by the eye test & it told me that Bowles should have been fired after we lost to Buffalo in 2015, losing to a team that hadn't practiced because of a freaking blizzard, and the Bills team had all their sh*t packed up & were ready to hit the offseason road.

Anyone that follows my threads knows that I was a Bowles hater! I gave him the Cigar Store Indian moniker & I couldn't stand his f*cking smirking face in those press conferences & his pose on the sidelines while his team made mistake after mistake, playing guys whose azzes should have been on the bench. He was the WORST JET coach in a long time, going back to Lou Holtz for God sake.

This LOOKS like a different team, they act like a different team, they hustle their azzes off & did you see Polite last night? Playing with a bunch of scrubs well into the 4th quarter, why? Because he's a scrub until he proves he's not a scrub to GW. No roster spot is free on this squad. Everyone earns their keep. UPTEMPO offense? What the hell is that? Past Jet offenses could barely get the ball snapped before a delay of game penalty. Yea, we get it, its only preseason, but you have to have your head in the sand if you don't see the potential of this QB with these coaches & a GM with serious pedigree to assemble a team around him to compete for years to come! 

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1
  • Post of the Week 1

I'm optimistic too, but I remember the rush of excitement here when we got Chan Gailey so I'm going to take a beat and see how the first few weeks go.

Pulling an old man out of a 3 yr retirement after a failed 2 yr stint as the Buffalo Bills HC crested a rush of excitement???
I remember thinking WTF is that all about? lol

I think that was the first moment I scratched my head about Bowles. I have some benefit of the doubt as he knew what he was doing but that was fine rather quickly too.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

Just now, GREENBEAN said:

Pulling an old man out of a 3 yr retirement after a failed 2 yr stint as the Buffalo Bills HC crested a rush of excitement???

I think that was the first moment I scratched my head about Bowles. I have some benefit of the doubt as he knew what he was doing but that was fine rather quickly too.

Do a search to refresh your memory.  There was giddiness in the air here.

• Sympathy 1

35 minutes ago, Jetster said:

Mine as well, but since camp has started I have been ultra impressed with him and his demeanor with the players and media. He is not the wise a$$ know it all he was portrayed to be by certain a$$holes in the media, he seems like a fun guy who loves what he does, loves interacting with the players, and does a decent job with the media. Remains to be seen what will happen when he is asked the myriad of stupid questions after a tough loss, but so far, so very good.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

20 minutes ago, Jetster said:

Honestly I see no reason whatsoever to temper my expectations. I go by the eye test & it told me that Bowles should have been fired after we lost to Buffalo in 2015, losing to a team that hadn't practiced because of a freaking blizzard, and the Bills team had all their sh*t packed up & were ready to hit the offseason road.

Anyone that follows my threads knows that I was a Bowles hater! I gave him the Cigar Store Indian moniker & I couldn't stand his f*cking smirking face in those press conferences & his pose on the sidelines while his team made mistake after mistake, playing guys whose azzes should have been on the bench. He was the WORST JET coach in a long time, going back to Lou Holtz for God sake.

This LOOKS like a different team, they act like a different team, they hustle their azzes off & did you see Polite last night? Playing with a bunch of scrubs well into the 4th quarter, why? Because he's a scrub until he proves he's not a scrub to GW. No roster spot is free on this squad. Everyone earns their keep. UPTEMPO offense? What the hell is that? Past Jet offenses could barely get the ball snapped before a delay of game penalty. Yea, we get it, its only preseason, but you have to have your head in the sand if you don't see the potential of this QB with these coaches & a GM with serious pedigree to assemble a team around him to compete for years to come! 

I'm with you Jet, feeling great about our franchise for the first time in ages.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Bocajetfan said:

Understand its pre-season. What has me pumped is the interaction of the coaching staff including Gase with the players. Not just in practice but during the game. Coaching should never end on the practice field.

Gase did the same thing in Miami...still had a bottom 3rd offense...

1 hour ago, FidelioJet said:

The team looks good, Darnold looks like a legitimate franchise QB but seriously, it's two pre-season games - let's not start inducting Gase in the HOF quite yet.

And no one has. 

Funny you had him unemployed at the start of camp.  Without a game he was an object failure who was going to fail here.

Now that they look good you want me to stop being happy with what I've seen so far. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, RoadFan said:

You weren't the only one. 

I was all over Gase.  But I was banned during some of the coaching search era and when he was hired.  I pumped him up before he was hired, and after I returned... with a new attitude.

I should have been clear, there were a few of us.  The morons who couldn't understand that he was horrific. 

27 minutes ago, jeremy2020 said:

Gase did the same thing in Miami...still had a bottom 3rd offense...

Who are you? WHY would a Jet fan WANT to be pessimistic about this young talented QB & his aligning with an offensive Head Coach endorsed by a QB like Payton Manning?

• Upvote 1

Do a search to refresh your memory.  There was giddiness in the air here.

Oh I remember. I’m just playing. Seems like a hundred years ago.

I can recall trying to hope Bowles was just the smartest man in the room and had the ace up his sleeve but my initial thought was confused negativity.

This time really is very different.

We wanted an offensive coach with HC experience. We got one. We wanted a true franchise QB. We got one. We wanted an aggressive and experience DC. We got one. We wanted an actual football minded GM from one of the perennially successful NFL bloodlines. We got one.

And we even got trevon Wesco on top of it all so there’s that.

• Sympathy 1

2 hours ago, Jetster said:

Who are you? WHY would a Jet fan WANT to be pessimistic about this young talented QB & his aligning with an offensive Head Coach endorsed by a QB like Payton Manning?

I'm not pessimistic about Darnold. What about Gase and his results should have me jumping for joy?

4 hours ago, FidelioJet said:

The victory lap you're taking is a bit premature.

Really?

I responded to those praising him by saying some numbnuts wouldn't give him a chance and gave those who liked him shlt.

Hardly a victory lap. 

9 hours ago, Adoni Beast said:

This is such a great point and observation. It is very promising that Gase’s scheme is fluid and actually changes with personnel, opponent, etc.

In Miami, he knew he was extremely limited at QB/OL. Clock management was paramount to keep them in games.

I am loving the uptempo, no huddle. I’ve wished we had a no huddle/up tempo offense since Jim Kelly ran it down our throats with Buffalo. We just never had the coaches or personnel...

...until now (grinch smile)

I lived in Buffalo when Kelly ran the K Gun offense and it was a thing of beauty.  I still say that those Buffalo teams were the best teams never to win....

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

8 hours ago, Jetster said:

In truth I wish my posts were......

I for one am not going to be a hypocrite.  

I lambasted the hiring of Gase and ripped into him like a cheap suit and I wanted him hired like I wanted a dirty person's wet underwear poured on my head.

I was brutal and unrelenting.

And I can see in the most fundamental ways I WAS WRONG!!!

I now realize, to a large extent, I was letting my strong dislike of the Dolphins ( I still can't watch the Marino draft, even on YouTube) to cloud any objectivity and coupled that with MacCagnan making those decisions...well......

I can be real about it now and say I was wrong wrong wrong. 

Gase might not win a SB here but there is no question that he is a FAR SUPERIOR organizer of the Jets than anyone we have had on the sidelines since Parcells was here and that folks is a long time ago now..

• Sympathy 1

14 hours ago, SAR I said:

Beyond Gase, who is the best thing to happen to the Jets in 40 years, his coaching staff is beyond great. 

Watch these videos to understand how great a shape we are in now and for the future. Especially the Williams and Bell ones.  Listen to what they say and how they say it.  It brought me to tears.

SAR I

I love your optimism, but I will believe your very gushing comments only if I see it myself. I really can't believe the love for Joe Douglas when he hasn't had a single draft? You guys set yourselves up to be let down.

• Upvote 1

11 hours ago, RoadFan said:

The irony is Gase ran the slowest offense in the league between plays  last season with the Dolphins. 

He did that for the opposite reason and different roster composition.  Especially poor QB play.  He tried to keep the clock moving when possible, and then generate big plays with guys like Stills and Wilson since long drives were unlikely.

We have a coach fellas...

Haven’t fully hopped on the Gase train yet but there’s a “cerebralness” to his approach to coaching that I’ve wanted in an HC for a looooong time! 

• Sympathy 1

15 hours ago, Augustiniak said:

it's such a refreshing change from bowles, his teams never scored on the first possession.  this team comes out fresh and prepared.  

Did you catch what Mike Westoff said during Bowles 1ST YEAR?

I recently did, never knowing that he ever said it.

”The guy does not know how to make ANY adjustments.....he is going to be a Disaster”.

And Westoff was proven right on all counts.

How that guy was ever given a HC job is as much a travesty as Maccagnan given a GM job.

• Sympathy 1

11 hours ago, GREENBEAN said:

Bowles would never hire anyone who could possible succeed him. Deep down he knew he didn’t belong in the big chair.

20 hours ago, Jetster said:

How about some love for Frank Pollack our Oline coach. This is an important position & I love the way there seems to be a system being developed which tells me it can only get better over time. I can't believe almost the entire line last night was back ups, and like others have said, we have 2/3 guys that are as good or maybe better than Brian Winters. Personally I'm tired of seeing a Winters pushed into the backfield & getting our running plays blown up. I think Winters losing his job is a forgone conclusion under this new coaching staff. 

Agreed about Pollack.  Do you allow for the possibility that he'll bring the best out of Winters too?  The problem with Winters has been consistency.  He'll pancake a guy on one play and then be a turnstile on the next, which will even out to somewhere between slightly above average to solidly below average over the course of a season.  Many are down on him because when he has a bad play, he looks really bad.  If Pollack can bring out the "good Winters" more often than not, Winters might surprise some people.