Coaching Matters

Jetster

My sense is this is the best coaching staff we've had since Bill Parcells.  Gase is going to be a great head coach for us and Williams is a beast.  The supporting coaching staff is great also.  Finally we also have a GM that knows football too.  

With that said, dang we need a kicker.

• Upvote 2

19 hours ago, Charlie Brown said:

In truth I wish my posts were......

I for one am not going to be a hypocrite.  

I lambasted the hiring of Gase and ripped into him like a cheap suit and I wanted him hired like I wanted a dirty person's wet underwear poured on my head.

I was brutal and unrelenting.

And I can see in the most fundamental ways I WAS WRONG!!!

I now realize, to a large extent, I was letting my strong dislike of the Dolphins ( I still can't watch the Marino draft, even on YouTube) to cloud any objectivity and coupled that with MacCagnan making those decisions...well......

I can be real about it now and say I was wrong wrong wrong. 

Gase might not win a SB here but there is no question that he is a FAR SUPERIOR organizer of the Jets than anyone we have had on the sidelines since Parcells was here and that folks is a long time ago now..

Indeed.  I would hold the card saying you were wrong till at least after the first season, but I hear ya. 

Here's a list of how the offseason went for me... ya know... cuz you asked and stuff. 

1. I wanted Bowles fired- Check

2. I wanted Mike McCarthy and saw it as the football gods finally aligning everything for us to get a winner HC. 

3. I hated the Gase choice!  HATED IT! 

4. I loved the Gregg Williams hire... that's who I wanted when Cleveland chose Kitchens. 

5. I was for retaining Macc, but mostly because I did not have any confidence in the Jets finding someone real and saw it as a needless tear down to start over with some other Idzik style loser.  I loved the Joe Douglas hire which alleviated my fears stated previously. So Macc getting fired was fine with me overall. Especially after the draft. 

6. I hated the Q pick and wanted a trade down very badly. If only even for an additional 2nd so we could have had that 1st rd guy that slipped ala Greedy or Cody Ford etc.  I would have taken Jonah Williams, Gregg Little, Lindstrom or Bradbury with the first. But definitely OL. 

7. I loved the Pollack, Jefferson and Cooter hirings for CS. 

8. I hated the Polite, Cashman and Austin picks.

9. I loved Edoga and Wesco picks. 

10. I did not want Bell or Crowder.  I wanted Humphries, Coleman, Paradis and Barr in FA. and maybe another OL or two. 

So... there's a lot more of course, but I have had a mixed bag this summer. That said, I feel similarly to you and feel like a lot of the things I didn't want to happen were ultimately good. I've mentioned before that I liked many of the Jets big moves in the past and it rarely worked out so I am clearly off in my thinking lol  

I am liking Gase, Bell, Crowder and Quinnen and think we really are on our way. But I'll hold off on admitting I'm wrong until I really am. hahaha.  But it IS looking like we're on the ascend finally. In Darnold I trust. ;) 

• Sympathy 1

11 hours ago, afjetsfan said:

My sense is this is the best coaching staff we've had since Bill Parcells.  Gase is going to be a great head coach for us and Williams is a beast.  The supporting coaching staff is great also.  Finally we also have a GM that knows football too.  

With that said, dang we need a kicker.

Kinda crazy aint it?   Our CS is jam packed with actual pros. Cooter as RB coach is a coup. Pollack is one of the finest OL coaches in the game. We have some great development potential with guys like we have in the house. that's all I ever wanted in addition to actually winning games.  An org that can lose big named FA's and the next guy up fills in without drop off due to being properly developed. I've resentfully envied those teams that do that and watched as we paid millions to buy their aging and selfish stars. 

• Upvote 1