Brandon Shell did not play last night

Injuries

The Jets announced three injuries: starting right tackle Brandon Shell (knee), starting middle linebacker Avery Williamson (knee) and reserve linebacker Jamey Mosley (knee). They did not release any information on the severity of any of the injuries. 

Shell was apparently injured during the warmup before the game, according to Gase. This is not the same knee that Shell injured in late 2018, requiring surgery. Williamson played well into the second quarter with some of the backups and Gase said the plan was for Williamson to play increased reps all along. We'll see if it costs the starting linebacker any time. 

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, Augustiniak said:

edoga is already better than he is, shell could wind up being the backup RT this year, and may only get his job back at RT if/when edoga moves to the left side.

Wrong!  Shell is being way undervalued on this site, he is a good young player...

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

Edge actually got a poor grade from pff (for whatever that is worth).  

That being said, we can't expect him to be Anthony Munoz.  Right now, as a swing tackle, all he needs to be is better then Brent Qvale to improve our OL group, which he already is.  

After that, its on him and the coaches to develop into a starter because has the talent.

6 minutes ago, RobR said:

Shell shouldn't play again unless Edoga gets hurt. Edoga is a much better prospect than Shell ever was. 

Who knows.  Shell has been an ok RT.  He’s arguably Mac’s only successful draft pick after rd 1 that isn’t named Herndon

4 minutes ago, Philc1 said:

Who knows.  Shell has been an ok RT.  He’s arguably Mac’s only successful draft pick after rd 1 that isn’t named Herndon

I don't think Shell has been an OK RT. He has been subpar in every category.....he'd be a great swing tackle backup IMO. Edoga can be a stalwart for us for the next decade at either RT or LT. Easily Macs best pick this year and he's showing it during the games.

7 hours ago, RobR said:

I don't think Shell has been an OK RT. He has been subpar in every category.....he'd be a great swing tackle backup IMO. Edoga can be a stalwart for us for the next decade at either RT or LT. Easily Macs best pick this year and he's showing it during the games.

Bingo. I’ve always said he’d be great depth and hopefully swing tackle depth like A better Ijalana. So many fans on this board are insane with their player evaluations and overvaluing our players. Nothing wrong with Shell and I like him for depth but he’s not a good starter. He’s serviceable at best. 

• Upvote 1

30 minutes ago, Creepy Lurker said:

Bingo. I’ve always said he’d be great depth and hopefully swing tackle depth like A better Ijalana. So many fans on this board are insane with their player evaluations and overvaluing our players. Nothing wrong with Shell and I like him for depth but he’s not a good starter. He’s serviceable at best. 

It’s the feet.  Edoga has the feet to stay with the pass rushers and recover, you see this in the first two preseason games already.  Shell gets beat and that’s it.  It was shell’s missed block last year vs the dolphins that got darnold hurt.

25 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

It’s the feet.  Edoga has the feet to stay with the pass rushers and recover, you see this in the first two preseason games already.  Shell gets beat and that’s it.  It was shell’s missed block last year vs the dolphins that got darnold hurt.

I agree on this point which is why I think Shell could be a candidate to move to guard.  He has an almost identical build to Osmele and as a RT is a good run blocker but not a great athlete to handle outside speed.  Kicking him inside would make him a very athletic guard.

13 hours ago, RobR said:

Wow - that is some high praise!  I haven't seen much of our preseason games and I'm no expert at evaluating OL anyway but this is very encouraging to hear!  

Edge actually got a poor grade from pff (for whatever that is worth).  
That being said, we can't expect him to be Anthony Munoz.  Right now, as a swing tackle, all he needs to be is better then Brent Qvale to improve our OL group, which he already is.  
After that, its on him and the coaches to develop into a starter because has the talent.

Edoga was one of PFF’s highest rated tackles in college for pass blocking.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app