The Polite Question. What’s the answer?

Ok, even though he still has two more weeks (and preseason games) to change the way most of us feel about him, Polite seems to be a big concern right now.

Im fully vested in this guy, because midway through the second round, I started posting in the draft thread how much I wanted the Jets to draft him. I always felt he’d need some time, but I expected to see a raw, very talented gem that simply needed polishing. That doesn’t seem to remotely fit what he is, at least as of today.

Heres my question, what do we do with this guy? You would hate to cut a 3rd round pick at the end of his first camp, but Polite has done nothing to prove he deserves a spot on the Opening Day roster. 

The PS isn’t really the best option either with a guy like him. Based on ability and draft position, it’s where he should be, but if we put him there, another team will probably grab him.

That leaves one more option. Do we tell him he just suffered a fugazy hamstring injury, and place him on the pup list just to hide him?

I know it’s still early days, but what would you do? I’m leaning  practice squad, but I think they’ll waste an active roster spot on him.

5 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

If the old regime was still in charge he would be here for at least a year or two no matter what.

With the new regime they have zero loyalty and zero to save face so if he is bad he will get cut.

He has to show something good from here on out for them to keep him around at the cost of another player.  He has about 2 weeks to do something really eye catching.

Because what Regine would get rid of a high draft pick in his first season?

Or give him a 2 week show is what you got order. there is zero chance this regime currently him in year 1

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Larz said:

He had his hands knocked down on a rush last night as badly as you will see in the nfl. Next play he hops inside for no reason and the running back goes outside for a big gain. Other rushes he is easily handled. 

He shows no effort or techniques or heck even just a basic plan for what he is going to do. 

Williams must be disgusted. 

If there isn’t YOOG improvement next week I would be tempted to cut him to send a message. 

WAY too many guys busting their asses out there to waste even a ps spot on this guy. 

Williams said he is working hard and coming along nicely and was elevated to the second team as a result.  I didnt see the game so cant comment but they make decisions based on more than the pre season games.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Bowles Movement said:

Williams said he is working hard and coming along nicely and was elevated to the second team as a result.  I didnt see the game so cant comment but they make decisions based on more than the pre season games.

He looked so, so bad. No burst at all, slow, chubby, and non-competitive. If he was a UDFA, he’d be gone in the next round of cuts

• Upvote 3

8 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

Who gets concerned after limited play in 2 preseason games.

Patience.

I’m usually not that guy, nut, and I wouldn’t cut him this year. My question is what would you do with him if you don’t think he belongs on the active roster?

Lets be objective though. If he was a 7th round pick instead of a 3rd, I’d bet you wouldn’t have the same stance, you’d chalk him up as a miss and just move on without him.

Keeping him because we took him high is an understanble stance if there was nobody with any ability behind him, but this guy is pretty deep on the depth chart. Would you advocate cutting a more deserving player just to justify where he was taken? By a prior GM?

21 minutes ago, 14 in Green said:

Ok, even though he still has two more weeks (and preseason games) to change the way most of us feel about him, Polite seems to be a big concern right now.

Im fully vested in this guy, because midway through the second round, I started posting in the draft thread how much I wanted the Jets to draft him. I always felt he’d need some time, but I expected to see a raw, very talented gem that simply needed polishing. That doesn’t seem to remotely fit what he is, at least as of today.

Heres my question, what do we do with this guy? You would hate to cut a 3rd round pick at the end of his first camp, but Polite has done nothing to prove he deserves a spot on the Opening Day roster. 

The PS isn’t really the best option either with a guy like him. Based on ability and draft position, it’s where he should be, but if we put him there, another team will probably grab him.

That leaves one more option. Do we tell him he just suffered a fugazy hamstring injury, and place him on the pup list just to hide him?

I know it’s still early days, but what would you do? I’m leaning  practice squad, but I think they’ll waste an active roster spot on him.

2286-Bill-Gates-Quote-Patience-is-a-key-

• Post of the Week 1

9 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

I think what you do with Polite is bury him on IR and see if you can get him to 235 lbs with 8% body fat and then you let him rush the passer at that weight.

They have to find a way to keep him without it costing a roster spot, otherwise there’s no reason to keep him.

• Upvote 1

34 minutes ago, 14 in Green said:

What has he done for you to have a negative view of him? Seriously. Have you watched him play closely? He's done what he is supposed to do. I mean, look, he hasn't been able to get a sack yet but he's doing his best, he drew a hold, he's putting pressure on at times, he's following what the coach tells him, he's putting the effort in, he's looking good in training camp and practice. Sometimes in actual games it takes time to get sacks and put up stats. I watched him. the QB got rid of the ball quick. Polite was close but just could not get to Simms. He's been solid against the run. He actually ran down Simms on a scramble on the opposite side of the field. 

No reason to be concerned. Definitely no reason to cut him or 'hide' him or try to put him on PS. Just relax bub.    

• Upvote 4

37 minutes ago, 14 in Green said:

Well honestly, if GW and this staff feel he is a lost cause and not worth the time,  if someone poaches him from the PS Oh well.

If they feel he is worth the investment they will find a way to keep him on the roster IMO.

• Upvote 1

39 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

Who gets concerned after limited play in 2 preseason games.

Patience.

Yea it's a little early to make any decisions on Polite.  He needs some NFL coaching.  Give the kid at least a year in the NFL to see his developmental progression.  We are 1/2 way through his First training camp.   Relax.

• Upvote 4
  • Sympathy 1

39 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

Because what Regine would get rid of a high draft pick in his first season?

Or give him a 2 week show is what you got order. there is zero chance this regime currently him in year 1

A smart regime would.  We have no idea how douglas viewed polite before the draft.  If he didn't like him he is not going to cut some more promising player just to keep a 3rd rounder around that he doesn't like.

Hey polite does not have to be awesome out of the gate, but he has to show something and not look like garbage.

He'll probably  stick around but he may be exposed via the psquad.

34 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

He looked so, so bad. No burst at all, slow, chubby, and non-competitive. If he was a UDFA, he’d be gone in the next round of cuts

By virtue of his draft status and pedigree at the very least he is going to play in the next 2 preseason games.  Lets see how he does before we write his obituary

The cupboard is pretty bare at the DE/OLB position. 

He'll probably still make it on numbers alone. That said, give him a year. He's a third rounder. Not everyone is going to be all-world out of the gate. If he doesn't improve after a year of Gregg riding his ass, that's your sign to cut bait. 

1 hour ago, lounap23 said:

Yea it's a little early to make any decisions on Polite.  He needs some NFL coaching.  Give the kid at least a year in the NFL to see his developmental progression.  We are 1/2 way through his First training camp.   Relax.

This isn’t what I’m talking about. ?

I don’t mean to single you out, but you’re  giving a very nice answer to a question nobody is asking. It’s obvious to everyone here he needs time and more coaching, lol.

ive already said I wouldn’t cut him, I want to keep him around. My question was and is, where do you put him? The active roster? The PS? Or a fugazy spot on the pup?

41 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

I think what you do with Polite is bury him on IR and see if you can get him to 235 lbs with 8% body fat and then you let him rush the passer at that weight.

I don't love the IR idea, but otherwise I agree. Kid needs a year in an NFL weight room, and he needs a nutritionist. Get him back to a comfortable weight and hope he can contribute as a situational pass rusher - which wouldn't be a terrible return on a third round pick. 

Some kids take a little longer just to get it, too, and this kid went to Florida. He might take longer than most.  

• Upvote 3

2 minutes ago, 14 in Green said:

This isn’t what I’m talking about. ?

You’re giving a very nice answer to a question nobody is asking. It’s obvious to everyone here he needs time and more coaching, lol.

ive already said I wouldn’t cut him, I want to keep him around. My question was and is, where do you put him? The active roster? The PS? Or a fugazy spot on the pup?

You keep him on the active roster. He is good enough and worth keeping as a depth backup Edge/OLB. Period. The Jets are not SO deep at the position that they can't afford to keep him b/c it will force them to cut another talented player. You're talking about keeping a guy like Burgess or Langi or J.Mosley on the 53 ahead of Polite? Seriously?  

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, 14 in Green said:

My question was and is, where do you put him? The active roster? The PS? Or a fugazy spot on the pup?

If you try to get him on the practice squad or IR he will have to be exposed to waivers. If does get exposed to waivers I would think someone would claim him. The only viable alternative would be to keep him on the 53 and deactivate him every game. 

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

JJ Watt had a grand total of 0 sacks in the preseason of his rookie year. 

I wonder if there were clowns on a Texans message board wondering if they wasted a pick on the kid. 

Actually you’re the one who sounds like a clown.

There isn’t a single thread where a few guys don’t go off on a tangent or take an extreme position. That doesn’t make them a “clown”. I always wonder if the people who use terms like that here do the same when dealing with people in real life, lol. Can’t imagine they do, it wouldn’t end very well.

The Watt comparison is sketchy at best, and I’m being kind when I give you that. I’m sure Watt showed a helluva lot more then Polite has through two preseason games, lol.

Speaking for myself, I never called Polite a bust, but voiced concern over him playing with 2nd and 3rd stringers in practice, and not looking very impressive on the field, and wondered what would be the best way to develop him.

I asked where he should be roster wise on opening day. People are giving their opinions. If you want to be the smartass calling them clowns, good for you.

• Upvote 1