The Polite Question. What’s the answer?

5 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

I mean, he was slow as sh*t in March, then he was slow as sh*t in April, and he looks to be slow as sh*t in mid-August. It is what it is. I also forgot he only benched 225 14 times, to boot. He just sounds like a jelly-roll-ass fatboy with no work ethic.

jachai.PNG

Don't forget most people questioned him about his fake hamstring injury during the combine. Point was proven during his proday......but did you see his F tape, whatever the hell that is.

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, RobR said:

Don't forget most people questioned him about his fake hamstring injury during the combine. Point was proven during his proday......but did you see his F tape, whatever the hell that is.

He's getting slower by the month. probably runs a 8.5 40, now.

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 2

9 hours ago, Jet Nut said:

Because no matter how many times you repeat yourself most people dont think you have to perform at a combine to be a great pass rusher. 

Define most. FTR most does not mean you, PF, and Mac.

No one gives a shlt about metrics enough to hunt down the metrics to every single pass rusher to prove or disprove your point.  Because no matter how many times you repeat yourself most people dont think you have to perform at a combine to be a great pass rusher.   

Positions for which combine numbers matter the most in predictive value:

1.  EDGE

**** Big Gap ****

Everything else

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, RobR said:

I fail too see how Lawrence performed anywhere near what Polite did. It's not even close but I'll give you another try.

Hr ran a 4.81 40 Rob. Only performed slightly better in the vertical jump. I know that wouldn't convince you. Like the Jeffrey Epstein suicide, things just don't add up. His game tape doe's not show a slow, plodding, unathletic football player.

8 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Positions for which combine numbers matter the most in predictive value:

1.  EDGE

**** Big Gap ****

Everything else

Absolutely. Combine or proday numbers are extremely important for certain positions and I would put edge rusher at #1 overall and would put more importance for defensive players and skill position players. Defensive players have to play a reactive game and RB's and WR's need too turn on a dime. That can all be predicted by the drills that NFL teams have implemented for the combine. I couldn't  care less how a QB performs and to a lesser degree Offensive Lineman.

It also explains why I can't get one comparison from the posters making their case that Polite can be good. 

• Upvote 1

most people dont think you have to perform at a combine to be a great pass rusher.

You don’t have to, of course, but it’s by far the strongest predictor of success at the NFL level. This has been extensively documented going back nearly a decade: http://www.footballsfuture.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=439601

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

7 minutes ago, genot said:

Hr ran a 4.81 40 Rob. Only performed slightly better in the vertical jump. I know that wouldn't convince you. Like the Jeffrey Epstein suicide, things just don't add up. His game tape doe's not show a slow, plodding, unathletic football player.

He performed better than him at every single aspect by a far margin.   

1 minute ago, RobR said:

Absolutely. Combine or proday numbers are extremely important for certain positions and I would put edge rusher at #1 overall and would put more importance for defensive players and skill position players. Defensive players have to play a reactive game and RB's and WR's need too turn on a dime. That can all be predicted by the drills that NFL teams have implemented for the combine. I couldn't  care less how a QB performs and to a lesser degree Offensive Lineman.

It also explains why I can't get one comparison from the posters making their case that Polite can be good. 

I agree that defensive players need the numbers but OL success also has good correlation with combine performances. Tackles and 40 times in particular are pretty closely tied together.

1 minute ago, kdels62 said:

I agree that defensive players need the numbers but OL success also has good correlation with combine performances. Tackles and 40 times in particular are pretty closely tied together.

Obviously better times help project a player but I've never thought an OLineman needed too kill his numbers too be good. And I do a ton of OL film breakdowns.

For instance check out Edogas numbers. Pedestrian at best unless you're talking about measurables (height, weight, arm length) which is something I put into two separate groups.

The worst thing about this thread is how premature it is. Like all of the premature Gase threads, if this kid actually turns into a player... not only did we have to read all of this premature negative bs, but then we’ll also have to read all of the “ok I was wrong” bs. 

This site has become ridiculous.  

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, RobR said:

Obviously better times help project a player but I've never thought an OLineman needed too kill his numbers too be good. And I do a ton of OL film breakdowns.

For instance check out Edogas numbers. Pedestrian at best unless you're talking about measurables (height, weight, arm length) which is something I put into two separate groups.

Nope. I’m actually specifically talking about 40 times. They correlate really well with success for OT. The only guy I can think of that’s really an exception is Orlando Brown. 

6 minutes ago, kdels62 said:

Nope. I’m actually specifically talking about 40 times. They correlate really well with success for OT. The only guy I can think of that’s really an exception is Orlando Brown. 

They correlate really well for a small minority. What....maybe 3 or 4 players.

Offensive lineman don't need too turn in great numbers. They need to have great feet and a good base or they will fail at the next level. It's not something that is easily measured by a number but is obvious in certain drills. Hence why I don't put as much stock in combine numbers for them as I do for a passrusher or skill position player.

• Upvote 1

36 minutes ago, SR24 said:

So our 3rd round pick hasn’t turned into Khalil Mack, 2 preseason games into his career? ****in bust 

Look at some of the players that went just after him.  Some legit good prospects.  You simply cannot afford to toss away as many picks as guys like mccagnan did.  After you shrug about our 3rd rounders for 5 years the shoulders get sore.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, genot said:

To RobR, TomShane, and others, i'll talk to you, or read your thoughts in other threads.

giphy.gif

I can only imagine how many draft profiles you pulled up in the last 2 days. Props for your hard work.

6 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

Look at some of the players that went just after him.  Some legit good prospects.  You simply cannot afford to toss away as many picks as guys like mccagnan did.  After you shrug about our 3rd rounders for 5 years the shoulders get sore.

What is stunning is so many fans on this forum were gushing over this selection. 

I don't know what is going on with this guy but he played 2 preseason games. How can you write this guy off so soon. 

• Upvote 1

21 minutes ago, More Cowbell said:

This has got to be the shortest leash I have ever seen fans put on a third round selection. 

8 minutes ago, More Cowbell said:

What is stunning is so many fans on this forum were gushing over this selection. 

I don't know what is going on with this guy but he played 2 preseason games. How can you write this guy off so soon. 

He had roughly 37 red flags when he was taken and was a Mike Maccagnan pick.  So, yeah, we're gonna go ahead and write him off unless he provides a compelling reason to think he'll turn into something.  

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Jet Nut said:

ANd once again we know this.  We also know he had a hammy. 

As I said, if you actually believe he runs a 4.84 40 you stick with this.  If you think they felt the poor showing was because of the hammy and they looked at his production at Fl time will tell who was right.  

But hey, you know.  You saw the numbers and are convinced.   

So really, i understand, we dont know for sure so lets just cut him now.  Makes perfect sense.  No one seems to get what we're discussing.  no one has said that they think he'll work out or will be a star.  Just want to wait until he proves what he is or isnt.  

The Combine was in March. It's now mid August. We're halfway through the preseason.  And he still looks fat and slow. 

If you actually believe that crap, you stick with it. 

• Upvote 1