The Polite Question. What’s the answer?

2 minutes ago, Greenseed4 said:

Jachai's?  I don't know.  Scheme? He was probably in ears-pinned back mode and told to get the QB in college, not running gassers on special teams so his coach could see what he was made of.  

Anderson's? I don't know, but that guy was 6'5, 280.  He probably just out-muscled smaller college kids.  Even then, he lasted five years before the league gave up on him, not just two PRESEASON games.  

makes sense to me

13 hours ago, More Cowbell said:

Dude, go back and read the posts right after he was drafted. I think one thread was called that wasn't a good selection and went onto say that was a great selection. Honestly, I don't  care about this guy  so much, third round picks don't  always work out so this would be another one that didn't but I find it funny that nobody was screaming over the 37 red flags you speak of the moment he was selected. 

Nobody?  I was screaming about before he was selected.  I had a "Do Not Pick" tag on him in the mock draft. I can 100% guarantee you that Shane and dbatesman were not jumping up and down about this kid.  I doubt you were reading all the posts if this was your take.  I liken the pick to Hackenberg.  I hate it, and would never have made it, but after killing Maccagnan for not taking shots at positions of import I can applaud the swing. 

• Upvote 3

This thread is good entertainment.  I'm not sure who I'm cheering for though because I kind of apply to both factions. 

The people who want to be right on the interwebz for credibility vs. fans who just hope that Polite can buck the measurements and show what he was in college...the player who once received Houston/Ware comparisons from his Defensive Coordinator who supposedly hates him because he's a turd.

I love being right, I laughed at the Polite pick but also understand that you take players like Polite in the 3rd round.  1st round talent with flags.  I'm also of the mind that his career hasnt been written in his first month even knowing that he'd be bucking a very strong statistical trend.  I'm also a Gator.

Ugh.  Decisions. 

4 minutes ago, JiF said:

This thread is good entertainment.  I'm not sure who I'm cheering for though because I kind of apply to both factions. 

The people who want to be right on the interwebz for credibility vs. fans who just hope that Polite can buck the measurements and show what he was in college...the player who once received Houston/Ware comparisons from his Defensive Coordinator who supposedly hates him because he's a turd.

I love being right, I laughed at the Polite pick but also understand that you take players like Polite in the 3rd round.  1st round talent with flags.  I'm also of the mind that his career hasnt been written in his first month even knowing that he'd be bucking a very strong statistical trend.  I'm also a Gator.

Ugh.  Decisions. 

The thing with Polite is that he sure doesn't look 5.0 40 on youtube.  His first step is no joke.  I am willing to bet that he is faster than that.  As a GM you take the gamble that he can right the ship.  Believe that it was his hamstring, or whatever.  OTOH, 9 times out of 10, these guys time poorly because of poor work ethic, they're just not that fast, etc. 

• Upvote 2

11 minutes ago, JiF said:

I love being right, I laughed at the Polite pick but also understand that you take players like Polite in the 3rd round.  1st round talent with flags.  I'm also of the mind that his career hasn't been written in his first month even knowing that he'd be bucking a very strong statistical trend.  I'm also a Gator.

Ugh.  Decisions. 

This. 

Also, if you actually re-watch the ATL game, he's not the elephant man some would have you believe he is.  But you would have to re-watch the game.  

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Greenseed4 said:

Yep.  And Jordan Jenkins also only had 4 tackles combined through his first two preseason games.  You're awesome. 

Jordan Jenkins didn't have anywhere close to the number of red flags Polite had.  He's also a very different player than Polite; he's an edge setter in the Calvin Pace mode.  You knew what you were getting in Jenkins the moment he was taken; a good but not great LB.  With Polite there was a much wider range of outcomes.  

Other than all that, great point!

26 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

The thing with Polite is that he sure doesn't look 5.0 40 on youtube.  His first step is no joke.  I am willing to bet that he is faster than that.  As a GM you take the gamble that he can right the ship.  Believe that it was his hamstring, or whatever.  OTOH, 9 times out of 10, these guys time poorly because of poor work ethic, they're just not that fast, etc. 

Hence the reason he was a third round pick and probably a good reason he shouldnt be written off in 5 weeks into his professional career.

• Upvote 1

22 minutes ago, Greenseed4 said:

This. 

Also, if you actually re-watch the ATL game, he's not the elephant man some would have you believe he is.  But you would have to re-watch the game.  

I watched him.  This board is dramatic.  He looked ok.  Not fat, not lazy.  Just meh.  He did have a couple of good pursuits, tackles and a couple of flat footed plays where he looked hesitant.  Which makes sense.  He's being asked to do stuff he's never had to do before which I'm sure takes an adjustment.

• Post of the Week 2

14 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Jordan Jenkins didn't have anywhere close to the number of red flags Polite had.  He's also a very different player than Polite; he's an edge setter in the Calvin Pace mode.  You knew what you were getting in Jenkins the moment he was taken; a good but not great LB.  With Polite there was a much wider range of outcomes.  

Other than all that, great point!

I didn’t draft him, I’m just not writing him off before next week.

I might even give him a whole half season before ranting, or comparing him to other long-haired players. 

3 minutes ago, Greenseed4 said:

I didn’t draft him, I’m just not writing him off before next week.

I might even give him a whole half season before ranting, or comparing him to other long-haired players. 

All we have is the info we have.  Red flags and unimpressive play.  Obviously that all could change.  But right now, not impressed.  That's all we can talk about in this thread, at this moment.  

44 minutes ago, JiF said:

Hence the reason he was a third round pick and probably a good reason he shouldnt be written off in 5 weeks into his professional career.

I'm not so sure.  If the coaches feel he really is a slow, lazy player and I can totally see giving up on him super quickly.  Not that I have any idea what he actually is at this point.

1 minute ago, #27TheDominator said:

I'm not so sure.  If the coaches feel he really is a slow, lazy player and I can totally see giving up on him super quickly.  Not that I have any idea what he actually is at this point.

To me, this would be the only justification for cutting the guy at the end of preseason -- if he is out of shape, overweight, not working hard, not taking coaching, then cut his ass and move on.  If the kid is working hard, trying to learn to be a pro, busitng his ass on the pracice field and in the film room; then give the kid a chance,

1 minute ago, #27TheDominator said:

You're not so sure but you're sure the coaching staff would be so sure but you have no idea what is actually going on.

Dropping knowledge!

• Haha 1

Interesting that he is getting reps on special teams that could mean the coaching staff is giving him every chance to earn a roster spot 

curious to see if they sneak him in against the starters Saturday night as that will be his last chance to compete against starters 

1 minute ago, JiF said:

You're not so sure but you're sure the coaching staff would be so sure but you have no idea what is actually going on.

Dropping knowledge!

You sounded pretty unsure too, and you're a Gator guy.  

Reminds me of when we drafted Geno Smith, and I asked a friend who went to West Virginia what he thought of him.  His response told me all I needed to know.  "Ehhh........".  42 TD/6 INT senior season, and a huge Mountaineer fan was ambivalent.  Yikes.  

• Upvote 2

5 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

You sounded pretty unsure too, and you're a Gator guy.  

Reminds me of when we drafted Geno Smith, and I asked a friend who went to West Virginia what he thought of him.  His response told me all I needed to know.  "Ehhh........"

Pretty unsure about what, specifically?  If he's going to be a good Football player?  Sure, I'm unsure.  Just like I'm unsure if Quinnen Williams is going to be worth the 3rd overall pick and that unsureness level gets even lower as you move down the rounds of the draft. 

Otherwise, I think I've been pretty clear that I'm 100% sure I'm not ready to make the determination on Jachai Polite 5 weeks into his pro career.

12 minutes ago, Lith said:

To me, this would be the only justification for cutting the guy at the end of preseason -- if he is out of shape, overweight, not working hard, not taking coaching, then cut his ass and move on.  If the kid is working hard, trying to learn to be a pro, busitng his ass on the pracice field and in the film room; then give the kid a chance,

Agreed and by all reports, he's been that kid.  If he wasnt, we'd be hearing about it.  Daily.  Yet, what we hear is that he's having good practices, moving up, all over the field, getting a sacks vs. Edoga and in the scrimmage, etc.  Not the same as the experts on the board and their analysis on his preseason game but I'm sure both will be taken into consider come roster trimming time.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

7 minutes ago, JiF said:

Pretty unsure about what, specifically?  If he's going to be a good Football player?  Sure, I'm unsure.  Just like I'm unsure if Quinnen Williams is going to be worth the 3rd overall pick and that unsureness level gets even lower as you move down the rounds of the draft. 

Otherwise, I think I've been pretty clear that I'm 100% sure I'm not ready to make the determination on Jachai Polite 5 weeks into his pro career.

My point was that you're a Gator guy, and still can't bring yourself to get really excited about Polite despite a productive final season there, and its pretty telling.  Hence why he's kind of like the Geno Smith of Florida.  

• Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, JiF said:

Agreed and by all reports, he's been that kid.  If he wasnt, we'd be hearing about it.  Daily.  Yet, what we hear is that he's having good practices, moving up, all over the field, getting a sacks vs. Edoga and in the scrimmage, etc.  Not the same as the experts on the board and their analysis on his preseason game but I'm sure both will be taken into consider come roster trimming time.

This is all about how he played against Atlanta?  I didn't really notice him and didn't think that meant anything.  I watched the game on my phone while I changed the oil in my wife's car and I only have only gotten through the 1st quarter on the big screen.

I don't have any special knowledge on Polite.  The only thing I said was that if he really is as slow as he timed, he will be cut sooner rather than later.

2 hours ago, Miss Lonelyhearts said:

4.18ss 6.83c probably not

Ingram had a whopping 2 sacks total his first 2 years in the nfl, 6 total for his first 3 seasons combined

All the supposed pass rush gurus here who now claimed to be pounding the table for Ingram in 2012 would have ran him out of town.  Now they’re doing the same to Polite before he even appears in a regular season game

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

My point was that you're a Gator guy, and still can't bring yourself to get really excited about Polite despite a productive final season there, and its pretty telling.  Hence why he's kind of like the Geno Smith of Florida.  

Depends on your definition of "really excited", I guess.  lol

I'm here saying I'm not ready to cut him 5 weeks into his pro career because of who he was in college despite knowing he'd be a statistical anomaly.

I think that's more telling and then whatever you think it is that I'm telling.  

16 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

This is all about how he played against Atlanta?  I didn't really notice him and didn't think that meant anything.  I watched the game on my phone while I changed the oil in my wife's car and I only have only gotten through the 1st quarter on the big screen.

I don't have any special knowledge on Polite.  The only thing I said was that if he really is as slow as he timed, he will be cut sooner rather than later.

It's like the devil child of the "Polite is a bust" thread. 

38 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Polite has trouble with time zones too?

6 hours ago, #27TheDominator said:

Nobody?  I was screaming about before he was selected.  I had a "Do Not Pick" tag on him in the mock draft. I can 100% guarantee you that Shane and dbatesman were not jumping up and down about this kid.  I doubt you were reading all the posts if this was your take.  I liken the pick to Hackenberg.  I hate it, and would never have made it, but after killing Maccagnan for not taking shots at positions of import I can applaud the swing. 

Actually I never heard of the kid until he was selected so yeah, i read just about all the posts and they were overwhelmingly positive. Seriously, Hakenberg? That was far worse because Hackenberg sucked most of his college career. At least we can hope he this guy gets it. 

4 hours ago, Philc1 said:

Ingram had a whopping 2 sacks total his first 2 years in the nfl, 6 total for his first 3 seasons combined

All the supposed pass rush gurus here who now claimed to be pounding the table for Ingram in 2012 would have ran him out of town.  Now they’re doing the same to Polite before he even appears in a regular season game

You mean the armchair GMs who complain about armchair GMs?  LOL