14 in Green

The Polite Question. What’s the answer?

Whether you like Polite as a player or not or if you think he was a poor pick or a draft value, the bottom line is he isnt getting cut this year.

Is it possible that his character issues would have removed him from Joe Douglas' board - absolutely, teams do that all the time.  They aren't saying the player can't play in the NFL, they are simply saying their ability doesnt outweigh the negatives they would bring to the organization.

But at the same time he is here and I sincerely hope that Douglas' can evaluate the risk/reward of a player like Polite and give him a season to see if his attitude can catch up to his talent. 

I also think we should pump the brakes on saying that Polite isnt doing well enough.  Its been 2 preseason games and he is dropping into coverage, which is a difficult thing to grasp.  Id like to see him be able to simply rush the passer in these next 2 games, but either way, lets give him some time before he is labeled a bust.

I supported this pick as it was a need and Polite has enough raw ability to be worth the risk where we took him.

The problem is that he is another pick that simply doesn't fit any formula.  2 years ago Mac valued character and effort when he took guys like Dylan Donahue and Adarius Steward - who both sucked and didnt have the athletic ability to play in the league.

Now he throws character out the window and takes Polite over Winkovich who tested well athletically and had excellent character.  Just because you whiffed on one long haired OLB, doesnt mean you have to pass on another one.

I hope Polite can put it together and use his elite quickness as a backbone to become a good player, but he should be showing more playing as much as he has against OL who won't be in the league next week.

• Upvote 2

26 minutes ago, CTJetsFan said:

I just re-watched the game from last night with an eye on Polite. I'm now seriously concerned we wasted a 3rd round pick. I'm scratching my head trying to figure out how the player I've seen the past 2 weeks had any success in the SEC. Most damning is his unwillingness to stick his nose/helmet into plays where a runner is still fighting for yardage. He seems content to just arrive in the area and watch others make a hit. Also seems content to just dance with whoever is blocking him. Friggin Gholston-esque. I have a tough time believing Williams will stand for this.

As Parcells said "If they don't bite when they're puppies, they usually won't bite." I think this one may be Macc's last big draft whiff.

I'm not one to overreact or give up on a player so early, but he needs to at laest show something. At best, maybe try to sneak him onto the PS. Just can't see him taking a spot on the 53 for a team that thinks it may be able to compete for a playoff spot.

I dont know if your particular observation on polite is correct, but just speaking generally, if you dont want to "stick your head in there" in the preseason, it doesnt bode well for you when the real players hit the field week 1.

Content Partnership

Yes Network

Site Sponsor

MILE-Social - NJ Social Media & SEO company