14 in Green

The Polite Question. What’s the answer?

Ok, even though he still has two more weeks (and preseason games) to change the way most of us feel about him, Polite seems to be a big concern right now.

Im fully vested in this guy, because midway through the second round, I started posting in the draft thread how much I wanted the Jets to draft him. I always felt he’d need some time, but I expected to see a raw, very talented gem that simply needed polishing. That doesn’t seem to remotely fit what he is, at least as of today.

Heres my question, what do we do with this guy? You would hate to cut a 3rd round pick at the end of his first camp, but Polite has done nothing to prove he deserves a spot on the Opening Day roster. 

The PS isn’t really the best option either with a guy like him. Based on ability and draft position, it’s where he should be, but if we put him there, another team will probably grab him.

That leaves one more option. Do we tell him he just suffered a fugazy hamstring injury, and place him on the pup list just to hide him?

I know it’s still early days, but what would you do? I’m leaning  practice squad, but I think they’ll waste an active roster spot on him.

8 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

Who gets concerned after limited play in 2 preseason games.

Patience.

I’m usually not that guy, nut, and I wouldn’t cut him this year. My question is what would you do with him if you don’t think he belongs on the active roster?

Lets be objective though. If he was a 7th round pick instead of a 3rd, I’d bet you wouldn’t have the same stance, you’d chalk him up as a miss and just move on without him.

Keeping him because we took him high is an understanble stance if there was nobody with any ability behind him, but this guy is pretty deep on the depth chart. Would you advocate cutting a more deserving player just to justify where he was taken? By a prior GM?

9 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

. If he was a UDFA, he’d be gone in the next round of cuts

Unfortunately you’ve hit the nail on the head. That’s why I think this will become a conundrum.

*** I hate conundrums 😩

1 hour ago, lounap23 said:

Yea it's a little early to make any decisions on Polite.  He needs some NFL coaching.  Give the kid at least a year in the NFL to see his developmental progression.  We are 1/2 way through his First training camp.   Relax.

This isn’t what I’m talking about. 😒

I don’t mean to single you out, but you’re  giving a very nice answer to a question nobody is asking. It’s obvious to everyone here he needs time and more coaching, lol.

ive already said I wouldn’t cut him, I want to keep him around. My question was and is, where do you put him? The active roster? The PS? Or a fugazy spot on the pup?

1 hour ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

JJ Watt had a grand total of 0 sacks in the preseason of his rookie year. 

I wonder if there were clowns on a Texans message board wondering if they wasted a pick on the kid. 

Actually you’re the one who sounds like a clown.

There isn’t a single thread where a few guys don’t go off on a tangent or take an extreme position. That doesn’t make them a “clown”. I always wonder if the people who use terms like that here do the same when dealing with people in real life, lol. Can’t imagine they do, it wouldn’t end very well.

The Watt comparison is sketchy at best, and I’m being kind when I give you that. I’m sure Watt showed a helluva lot more then Polite has through two preseason games, lol.

Speaking for myself, I never called Polite a bust, but voiced concern over him playing with 2nd and 3rd stringers in practice, and not looking very impressive on the field, and wondered what would be the best way to develop him.

I asked where he should be roster wise on opening day. People are giving their opinions. If you want to be the smartass calling them clowns, good for you.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Peace Frog said:

Concur. 

You have to give him at LEAST one year and likely two.

Can’t overreact after basically 3 or 4 quarters of preseason football. 

I think most of us want to keep him.

Based on what you’ve seen so far, frog... Where do you put him once camp is finished? Gamer, PS, or pup?

19 minutes ago, RobR said:

He was definitely thinking IR. The only problem with that is you still would have to expose him to waivers and hope no one puts in a claim.

Thanks for clearing up the pup thing, I did confuse it with the IR.

btw, I have to give you credit for being the one person I remember warning everyone before the draft about Polite’s game translating on this level. I know you’ve since said you hope you’re wrong, but you were ahead of the curve here. Props.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Peace Frog said:

I'm not sure what measure a "helluva alot more" is but JJ Watt had one tackle through his first 2 preseason games.

Polite already has 4 tackles.

And JJ Watt was the 11th pick of the draft.

Ok. If you took the time to look that up, this Watt comparison means a lot more to you then it does to me. LOL

Look, I’m not saying Polite is going to bust, hell I was the guy in the draft thread hoping we’d grab him. The last thing I want is to cut him. I’m just asking what role, if any he’s going to play come September.

Jeez what a cluster f*** this thread is! Who started this freaking thing?

oops. Scratch that.

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 2

13 hours ago, BurnleyJet said:

11 pages Geez, Imagine if Q Williams was a bust..

...and it looks like this thread might be a gift that keeps giving for quite a while.

You're welcome. :biggrin:

I stopped streaming last night once Darnold came out, because Mets 😥.

Nobody has really mentioned Polite's play last night... How did he look to you guys against NO?

• Upvote 1

Since we're talking about guys who concern me, what about Wesco? Any sign of life there?

28 minutes ago, Alka said:

I was focusing on him, and he looked lost to me.  I think I now understand why he is on the 3rd team.

I wanted us to take this kid so badly when we got to the 3rd round of the draft.

I really thought this kid would bring it as a pure speed guy off the edge. Every time I start to think I'm smart enough to project a kid in the NFL, I quickly realize I don't have a clue...

I realize it's not going to happen, but if any or all of Polite, Wesco and Austin were cut this week, would anyone really think it was unfair?

What a draft this is shaping up to be...

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 1

Content Partnership

Yes Network

Site Sponsor

MILE-Social - NJ Social Media & SEO company