14 in Green

The Polite Question. What’s the answer?

13 hours ago, More Cowbell said:

Dude, go back and read the posts right after he was drafted. I think one thread was called that wasn't a good selection and went onto say that was a great selection. Honestly, I don't  care about this guy  so much, third round picks don't  always work out so this would be another one that didn't but I find it funny that nobody was screaming over the 37 red flags you speak of the moment he was selected. 

Nobody?  I was screaming about before he was selected.  I had a "Do Not Pick" tag on him in the mock draft. I can 100% guarantee you that Shane and dbatesman were not jumping up and down about this kid.  I doubt you were reading all the posts if this was your take.  I liken the pick to Hackenberg.  I hate it, and would never have made it, but after killing Maccagnan for not taking shots at positions of import I can applaud the swing. 

• Upvote 3

16 hours ago, Greenseed4 said:

@T0mShane and others...

How do you explain his JR year college stats:

19.5 TFL, 11 sacks, 4 PD, 6 FF

All in the SEC. 

Idaho, and Colorado State were not in the SEC last time I checked. 

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Greenseed4 said:

Check again.  But I see your point. 

Haha.  Crack pipe moment.  I saw who they played and was thinking of Louisiana Tech.  It's been so long since I have seen LSU written out that it didn't register.  Well, he played well against them. 

4 minutes ago, JiF said:

This thread is good entertainment.  I'm not sure who I'm cheering for though because I kind of apply to both factions. 

The people who want to be right on the interwebz for credibility vs. fans who just hope that Polite can buck the measurements and show what he was in college...the player who once received Houston/Ware comparisons from his Defensive Coordinator who supposedly hates him because he's a turd.

I love being right, I laughed at the Polite pick but also understand that you take players like Polite in the 3rd round.  1st round talent with flags.  I'm also of the mind that his career hasnt been written in his first month even knowing that he'd be bucking a very strong statistical trend.  I'm also a Gator.

Ugh.  Decisions. 

The thing with Polite is that he sure doesn't look 5.0 40 on youtube.  His first step is no joke.  I am willing to bet that he is faster than that.  As a GM you take the gamble that he can right the ship.  Believe that it was his hamstring, or whatever.  OTOH, 9 times out of 10, these guys time poorly because of poor work ethic, they're just not that fast, etc. 

• Upvote 2

44 minutes ago, JiF said:

Hence the reason he was a third round pick and probably a good reason he shouldnt be written off in 5 weeks into his professional career.

I'm not so sure.  If the coaches feel he really is a slow, lazy player and I can totally see giving up on him super quickly.  Not that I have any idea what he actually is at this point.

14 minutes ago, JiF said:

Agreed and by all reports, he's been that kid.  If he wasnt, we'd be hearing about it.  Daily.  Yet, what we hear is that he's having good practices, moving up, all over the field, getting a sacks vs. Edoga and in the scrimmage, etc.  Not the same as the experts on the board and their analysis on his preseason game but I'm sure both will be taken into consider come roster trimming time.

This is all about how he played against Atlanta?  I didn't really notice him and didn't think that meant anything.  I watched the game on my phone while I changed the oil in my wife's car and I only have only gotten through the 1st quarter on the big screen.

I don't have any special knowledge on Polite.  The only thing I said was that if he really is as slow as he timed, he will be cut sooner rather than later.

18 minutes ago, JiF said:

It's like the devil child of the "Polite is a bust" thread. 

Ah.  I thought it was the same thread.  I had a good weekend.  I didn't realize he was 14 pages worth of suck on Thursday night. 

This isn't anything specific to Polite, but how do all the combine is meaningless #lookatthetape guys feel about him?  To them he is a 1st rounder?  Do they see a reason he might have fell? 

Smart players from big schools should have coaches, trainers and veterans on the staff/team before the combine.  Assuming this kid went in the 20s he cost himself close to $2M a year.  Even if he fell as far as Landry last year he'd have made more than an extra $500K per year. 

1 hour ago, deucebag said:

Sounds  like what happens when you remove PEDS from the equation.

4 minutes ago, ryu79 said:

Possibly, though I think I just see a lot of hesitation. Seems mental. Which is just as bad.

You stop taking PEDs and you become tentative?  How about you start facing bigger, stronger players.  Nobody enters the NFL and reduces their PED intake.  This line of thought is so misguided, I can't believe somebody commented on it.  

5 minutes ago, deucebag said:

Really, think harder...what if his motivation was to be good enough in college to get drafted high enough to earn him a decent payday that would fund what he really wants to do with his life? 

I am not big on buttfumbles, but the last thing you should be hitting me with is "Really."  If "his motivation was to be good enough in college to get drafted high enough to earn him a decent payday" he ****ed it up royally.  You think he used to know how to take PEDs, but now he doesn't bother because he "had a big payday?"  This theory keeps getting wackier. 

I earlier in the thread, I posted the figures for how much money he lost not going mid-first or 2nd.  If he gets cut now, he will have earned $1.1M of his $4.2M contract.  If what you are saying is true, he won't bother trying out for another team if/when he gets cut.  Wager? 

12 minutes ago, deucebag said:

Sure, it could be he is intimidated by the speed of the NFL game and the size of NFL players (although playing in the SEC one would think the step-up would not be extreme), or it could be he just stinks.  However you cannot deny it is possible he amped himself up for one season just to get a payday..evidence would be the fat gain after the season and his lack of enthusiasm for the game in combine interviews.  Maybe he really doesn;t want to be a pro football player and you know what, a $1.1M (guaranteed) pay day aint too shabby for a 21yo kid - its like winning the lottery.  Sure he probably ends up with about $600K after taxes and his agent's cut but that amount of money is enough to start a business, become a franchisee, get a graduate degree.  Just saying its a possibility.

Makes perfect sense.  He juiced himself up for a big season in the SEC for draft position, then stopped, got fat, sh*t the bed in interviews because of his lack of enthusiasm for the game.  Can't be that he just isn't mentally or physically that good at football. 

FWIW, when I saw him chasing that QB for the Saints I thought "damn, that safety should be faster."  That probably means he runs better than 4.8 - 5.0. 

Content Partnership

Yes Network

Site Sponsor

MILE-Social - NJ Social Media & SEO company