The Polite Question. What’s the answer?

23 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

All we have is the info we have.  Red flags and unimpressive play.  Obviously that all could change.  But right now, not impressed.  That's all we can talk about in this thread, at this moment.  

Why would we ignore his last year of actually playing real games?

39 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

This isn't anything specific to Polite, but how do all the combine is meaningless #lookatthetape guys feel about him?  To them he is a 1st rounder?  Do they see a reason he might have fell? 

His interviews i think are the reason he dropped. I believe he said he's never watched film of himself. That hurt, for sure. How do you improve if you can't properly critique yourself. Hopefully, he's maturing. He certainly has respect for his DC, here. Im sure

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, #27TheDominator said:

This isn't anything specific to Polite, but how do all the combine is meaningless #lookatthetape guys feel about him?  To them he is a 1st rounder?  Do they see a reason he might have fell? 

It's not a combine is meaningless or just look at the tape thing. The reasons he fell are obvious but he only fell to the beginning of the 3rd round. He has talent, whether or not he can translate that to a professional environment or not is to be seen.

The combine is not a good look but this is the reason they have coaches,trainers and veterans on the staff/team.

3 minutes ago, 14 in Green said:

I stopped streaming last night once Darnold came out, because Mets ?.

Nobody has really mentioned Polite's play last night... How did he look to you guys against NO?

I was focusing on him, and he looked lost to me.  I think I now understand why he is on the 3rd team.

• Upvote 1

28 minutes ago, Alka said:

I was focusing on him, and he looked lost to me.  I think I now understand why he is on the 3rd team.

I wanted us to take this kid so badly when we got to the 3rd round of the draft.

I really thought this kid would bring it as a pure speed guy off the edge. Every time I start to think I'm smart enough to project a kid in the NFL, I quickly realize I don't have a clue...

I supported this pick as it was a need and Polite has enough raw ability to be worth the risk where we took him.

The problem is that he is another pick that simply doesn't fit any formula.  2 years ago Mac valued character and effort when he took guys like Dylan Donahue and Adarius Steward - who both sucked and didnt have the athletic ability to play in the league.

Now he throws character out the window and takes Polite over Winkovich who tested well athletically and had excellent character.  Just because you whiffed on one long haired OLB, doesnt mean you have to pass on another one.

I hope Polite can put it together and use his elite quickness as a backbone to become a good player, but he should be showing more playing as much as he has against OL who won't be in the league next week.

• Upvote 2

I just re-watched the game from last night with an eye on Polite. I'm now seriously concerned we wasted a 3rd round pick. I'm scratching my head trying to figure out how the player I've seen the past 2 weeks had any success in the SEC. Most damning is his unwillingness to stick his nose/helmet into plays where a runner is still fighting for yardage. He seems content to just arrive in the area and watch others make a hit. Also seems content to just dance with whoever is blocking him. Friggin Gholston-esque. I have a tough time believing Williams will stand for this.

As Parcells said "If they don't bite when they're puppies, they usually won't bite." I think this one may be Macc's last big draft whiff.

I'm not one to overreact or give up on a player so early, but he needs to at laest show something. At best, maybe try to sneak him onto the PS. Just can't see him taking a spot on the 53 for a team that thinks it may be able to compete for a playoff spot.

26 minutes ago, CTJetsFan said:

I just re-watched the game from last night with an eye on Polite. I'm now seriously concerned we wasted a 3rd round pick. I'm scratching my head trying to figure out how the player I've seen the past 2 weeks had any success in the SEC. Most damning is his unwillingness to stick his nose/helmet into plays where a runner is still fighting for yardage. He seems content to just arrive in the area and watch others make a hit. Also seems content to just dance with whoever is blocking him. Friggin Gholston-esque. I have a tough time believing Williams will stand for this.

As Parcells said "If they don't bite when they're puppies, they usually won't bite." I think this one may be Macc's last big draft whiff.

I'm not one to overreact or give up on a player so early, but he needs to at laest show something. At best, maybe try to sneak him onto the PS. Just can't see him taking a spot on the 53 for a team that thinks it may be able to compete for a playoff spot.

I dont know if your particular observation on polite is correct, but just speaking generally, if you dont want to "stick your head in there" in the preseason, it doesnt bode well for you when the real players hit the field week 1.

1 hour ago, T0mShane said:

Just not sure how someone who beat Kelvin Beachum for a sack on Tuesday can be considered a bust smdh 

When Eric Smith had the holding penalty for a safety last night, my first thought was "oh, that's the guy who gave up like four sacks to Polite in practice."

• Upvote 4

6 minutes ago, dbatesman said:

When Eric Smith had the holding penalty for a safety last night, my first thought was "oh, that's the guy who gave up like four sacks to Polite in practice."

Well, obviously Eric Smith isn't performing well because he can't focus due to repeated flashbacks of Polite manhandling him every practice. A+++ pick.

-Pac

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, CTJetsFan said:

He just seems so tentative/uncommitted to his movements. It looks so different from the sorts blitzkrieg great engine player you see in the UF film...

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, 14 in Green said:

I realize it's not going to happen, but if any or all of Polite, Wesco and Austin were cut this week, would anyone really think it was unfair?

What a draft this is shaping up to be...

The GM knows he’s getting a pass this year.

Wesco seems to be even more underwhelming than Polite. Who has actually made plays in camp.

Austin is just a waste of a pick, he’s never seeing the field.

9 hours ago, ryu79 said:

He just seems so tentative/uncommitted to his movements. It looks so different from the sorts blitzkrieg great engine player you see in the UF film...

Sounds  like what happens when you remove PEDS from the equation.

1 hour ago, deucebag said:

Sounds  like what happens when you remove PEDS from the equation.

4 minutes ago, ryu79 said:

Possibly, though I think I just see a lot of hesitation. Seems mental. Which is just as bad.

You stop taking PEDs and you become tentative?  How about you start facing bigger, stronger players.  Nobody enters the NFL and reduces their PED intake.  This line of thought is so misguided, I can't believe somebody commented on it.