The Polite Question. What’s the answer?

You dont cut a guy you invested a 3rd round pick on after 1 training camp.  You guys on this board cant be that clueless.

He needs to be worked with on the field, in the weight room, his diet, his technique etc.  

A 3rd round pick is an investment.  Hes not going anywhere even if he totally stinks the next 2 games.  It doesnt matter.

• Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 1

1 hour ago, Jet Nut said:

Who gets concerned after limited play in 2 preseason games.

Patience.

Right...........,Do you remember being in 8th grade or ninth grade playing against bigger stronger seasoned players Jr.s ,Sr's. Christ gives the guy a chance to grow, just a lil. He just turned 21, going against the real deal now. 

• Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, Joe W. Namath said:

You dont cut a guy you invested a 3rd round pick on after 1 training camp.  You guys on this board cant be that clueless.

He needs to be worked with on the field, in the weight room, his diet, his technique etc.  

A 3rd round pick is an investment.  Hes not going anywhere even if he totally stinks the next 2 games.  It doesnt matter.

Concur. 

You have to give him at LEAST one year and likely two.

Can’t overreact after basically 3 or 4 quarters of preseason football. 

• Upvote 1

Just now, Apache 51 said:

Right...........,Do you remember being in 8th grade or ninth grade playing against bigger stronger seasoned players Jr.s ,Sr's. Christ gives the guy a chance to grow, just a lil. He just turned 21, going against the real deal now. 

The other thing is that he's not even doing THAT bad. I mean he's not flashing, he's not getting sacks and forcing fumbles and dominating. But he;s holding his own, he's following his assignments, he's been solid against the run. 

Has he been perfect? No. He got blown up on a run play last night. But he also beat the OT 1 on 1 and drew a holding penalty earlier. That could have been a huge play if it was a real game. He pretty much had the OT beat and should have had a sack but was held. How about the play where Simms scrambled to the right (opposite side of where Polite was) and Polite chased him down. Granted Simms gained like 6 or 7 yards but the point is Polite chased him down from the opposite side. People on this forum are already calling him lazy and saying he has no burst or speed.

This is insane. 

I don't know if Polite will ever be a great or even good NFL Pass Rusher. But there is absolutely no reason he shouldn't stay right where he is and that is on the active roster.   

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

4 minutes ago, Peace Frog said:

Concur. 

You have to give him at LEAST one year and likely two.

Can’t overreact after basically 3 or 4 quarters of preseason football. 

I think most of us want to keep him.

Based on what you’ve seen so far, frog... Where do you put him once camp is finished? Gamer, PS, or pup?

As long s the kid is working hard, doing what the coaches ask,, trying to learn the system and learn to be an NFL player, you keep him on the 53 and give hiim some time to learn/develop.  

Only exception to this, in my view, is if he is not working hard, not responding to coaches and is a bad guy.  Not saying that is the case.  As long as the effort is there, give the kid a chance.

• Upvote 3

I honestly saw him once where he ran from the other side of the field to make a tackle last night - a little winded afterwards.  There will be that showcase pre-season game where I'm sure he will start with starters not appearing. Perhaps it is a lot for him to soak in?

For those already pushing for waivers, what do you see - not enough effort? not mentally focused or ready? not enough talent? just mediocre?

I know he had the issues at the combine which some chalked up as nervousness or a lack of maturity.

Just now, Augustiniak said:

he looks like he's half assing it.  hard to know if it's b/c it's preseason, or b/c he's not playing with the starters, or what.

From the couple of plays I was paying attention I didn't get that impression at all. I remember one play where the play went opposite side and he chased it down for only like a 3 yard gain where I was thinking he was pretty high motor. I didn't analyze him all game or anything though.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Bowles Movement said:

Williams said he is working hard and coming along nicely and was elevated to the second team as a result.  I didnt see the game so cant comment but they make decisions based on more than the pre season games.

This sounds like the same schpiel Rex gave about Vernon Gholston.

1 hour ago, Larz said:

He had his hands knocked down on a rush last night as badly as you will see in the nfl. Next play he hops inside for no reason and the running back goes outside for a big gain. Other rushes he is easily handled. 

He shows no effort or techniques or heck even just a basic plan for what he is going to do. 

Williams must be disgusted. 

If there isn’t YOOG improvement next week I would be tempted to cut him to send a message. 

WAY too many guys busting their asses out there to waste even a ps spot on this guy. 

Wow.  I didn't get to watch.  Trust your opinion.  The above description is brutal.

1 hour ago, Larz said:

He had his hands knocked down on a rush last night as badly as you will see in the nfl. Next play he hops inside for no reason and the running back goes outside for a big gain. Other rushes he is easily handled. 

He shows no effort or techniques or heck even just a basic plan for what he is going to do. 

If there isn’t YOOG improvement next week I would be tempted to cut him to send a message. 

WAY too many guys busting their asses out there to waste even a ps spot on this guy. 

I noticed a play where he jumped inside way too early and it happened to be correct but he gave up contain badly. Not a good way to get yourself playing time.

1 hour ago, Larz said:

If this is all true then you just answered my question. To be fair we had DBs running into each other the whole second half but Polite should be making an impact as a 3rd rounder. Unless this coaching staff believes in him, they are not going to put up with lack of effort. 

4 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

listed at 258 on espn, but at 242 on UF's website.  looked slower than in college.  probably still adjusting to the added weight.

I think this is a factor for sure.  His first step was lightning in college and his bend was ridiculous.  He would come out like a rocket and get all gumby to get the ball.  Clearly he wasnt able to keep his speed with extra weight, so I'm sure he's adjusting on the fly till he gets to where he needs to be.  Another reason why he probably makes the 53.  The coaching staff has to know he's still not at his ideal playing weight. 

• Upvote 1

Just now, JiF said:

I think this is a factor for sure.  His first step was lightning in college and his bend was ridiculous.  He would come out like a rocket and get all gumby to get the ball.  Clearly he wasnt able to keep his speed with extra weight, so I'm sure he's adjusting on the fly till he gets to where he needs to be.  Another reason why he probably makes the 53.  The coaching staff has to know he's still not at his ideal playing weight. 

then the question becomes, is he being asked to stay at this weight or is he just overweight for him?  he looked even slimmer at UF than the 242 listed, closer to 230.  also think this played a role in his poor combine.

38 minutes ago, 14 in Green said:

I think most of us want to keep him.

Based on what you’ve seen so far, frog... Where do you put him once camp is finished? Gamer, PS, or pup?

Can't put him on PUP if he's not injured or we'll lose a pick.

Can't put him on the PS because he'll get poached.

Leaves one option.  

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

then the question becomes, is he being asked to stay at this weight or is he just overweight for him?  he looked even slimmer at UF than the 242 listed, closer to 230.  also think this played a role in his poor combine.

By his own admission he said he played at 235lbs. his last year at UF.

It was one of the myriad of reasons why I didn't want us to draft him. There are a total of zero passrushers in the NFL that are under 240 and all of the most successful ones are north of 250.

3 minutes ago, Peace Frog said:

Can't put him on PUP if he's not injured or we'll lose a pick.

Putting him on the PUP list is not only not viable, it is against the rules. He's already practiced so the PUP designation is out the window.

We don’t have a high end edge but we have 4 relatively young guys that are better than him. He’s on the bubble. Feel like coaches are going to debate whether to keep Polite or Foley. 

I would keep Foley and try and get Polite on the PUP. 

We’re pretty deep along the front 7.

2 hours ago, 14 in Green said:

Ok, even though he still has two more weeks (and preseason games) to change the way most of us feel about him, Polite seems to be a big concern right now.

Im fully vested in this guy, because midway through the second round, I started posting in the draft thread how much I wanted the Jets to draft him. I always felt he’d need some time, but I expected to see a raw, very talented gem that simply needed polishing. That doesn’t seem to remotely fit what he is, at least as of today.

Heres my question, what do we do with this guy? You would hate to cut a 3rd round pick at the end of his first camp, but Polite has done nothing to prove he deserves a spot on the Opening Day roster. 

The PS isn’t really the best option either with a guy like him. Based on ability and draft position, it’s where he should be, but if we put him there, another team will probably grab him.

That leaves one more option. Do we tell him he just suffered a fugazy hamstring injury, and place him on the pup list just to hide him?

I know it’s still early days, but what would you do? I’m leaning  practice squad, but I think they’ll waste an active roster spot on him.

The answer is how about we let the kid develop a little bit after playing two pre-season games before we buy him a ticket out of NY.

7 minutes ago, Peace Frog said:

Boom.

Maybe he was thinking IR but even then, if it's fake and you get caught, you lose a pick or picks.  

He was definitely thinking IR. The only problem with that is you still would have to expose him to waivers and hope no one puts in a claim.

17 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

10 minutes ago, RobR said:

By his own admission he said he played at 235lbs. his last year at UF.

It was one of the myriad of reasons why I didn't want us to draft him. There are a total of zero passrushers in the NFL that are under 240 and all of the most successful ones are north of 250.

I think Polite was being told this hence why he gained weight.  I think he just did it really sloppy and didnt have the right guidance around him to pull it off properly.  

To answer your question; I have no idea where the coaching staff wants him to be but like Rob said he was playing at the 235 range in college.  Maybe they're asking him to hold 10 or so lbs and he's still adjusting or maybe he suckes.  Dont know.  It's his 2nd preseason game.  Nobody does. 

• Upvote 1