The Polite Question. What’s the answer?

2 hours ago, 14 in Green said:

I’m usually not that guy, nut, and I wouldn’t cut him this year. My question is what would you do with him if you don’t think he belongs on the active roster?

Lets be objective though. If he was a 7th round pick instead of a 3rd, I’d bet you wouldn’t have the same stance, you’d chalk him up as a miss and just move on without him.

Keeping him because we took him high is an understanble stance if there was nobody with any ability behind him, but this guy is pretty deep on the depth chart. Would you advocate cutting a more deserving player just to justify where he was taken? By a prior GM?

Had nothing to do with him.  No one is cutting a 3rd in his first year unless he's Mental problem or a total waste.

1 hour ago, Beerfish said:

A smart regime would.  We have no idea how douglas viewed polite before the draft.  If he didn't like him he is not going to cut some more promising player just to keep a 3rd rounder around that he doesn't like.

Hey polite does not have to be awesome out of the gate, but he has to show something and not look like garbage.

He'll probably  stick around but he may be exposed via the psquad.

No a moronic regime would cut a 3rd round pick without knowing what he will develop into.  Or not.  Don't agree.  There are players on the bottom of the roster who never get activated.  What's the point in cutting him.

• Upvote 1

19 minutes ago, RobR said:

He was definitely thinking IR. The only problem with that is you still would have to expose him to waivers and hope no one puts in a claim.

Thanks for clearing up the pup thing, I did confuse it with the IR.

btw, I have to give you credit for being the one person I remember warning everyone before the draft about Polite’s game translating on this level. I know you’ve since said you hope you’re wrong, but you were ahead of the curve here. Props.

• Sympathy 1

5 minutes ago, jackhuntr said:

Was just going to post that he reminds me of Gholston,  he wasted a spot for a few years.  At least Polite wasn't a 1st round pick.

Gholston at least had NFL measureables and athleticism-you just had to be a good scout to see through the fraud he was perpetrating.   Someone else would have taken him in the first round.

Polite showed up to the biggest audition of his life not prepared mentally or physically to be an NFL player.   He was the proverbial falling knife.  Mac caught it in the third round.  He was getting drafted, but who knows when after that if Mac did not take the bait.   Chase Winovich will make this really hard-its decisions like that that make a scout’s career.   

No one is paying Mac to make those decisions again. 

• Upvote 1

26 minutes ago, RobR said:

He was definitely thinking IR. The only problem with that is you still would have to expose him to waivers and hope no one puts in a claim.

Really? 

I had no idea. I though if you had a player under contract and he got injured you could IR him and not expose him to waivers. 

That’s how much I know lol. 

• Upvote 1

Although it is suboptimal and not what an NFL team that wants to go far in the playoffs wants to do, it is common to keep on the 53 developmental players who are never activated.  In a perfect world, you would rotate players from the 53 to 45 depending upon health, opponent, etc.  I think it is usually OL, although doing that for another valuable position like EDGE could also be worth it.  

I am glad I don’t have to make those types of decisions.  

4 minutes ago, Peace Frog said:

Really? 

I had no idea. I though if you had a player under contract and he got injured you could IR him and not expose him to waivers. 

It's different for non vested veterans during the preseason. 

• Sympathy 1

2 minutes ago, EM31 said:

The Narrative is well established on these types of things.

• It is waayyy too early to talk about this. You are the stupidest poster in the history of message boards.... kick, ban!
  • It is still way to early to talk about this.  Why do Jets fans hate themselves so much?
  • It is still too early to talk about this.
  • Haven't we beaten this subject to death already?  No reason to discuss it further.

You forgot one:

"What's done is done.  We drafted him, not Chase Winovich.  Just because Winovich had 23 sacks over his first 2 seasons and Polite had 3.5, no reason to complain about it.  Macc is gone."

11 minutes ago, Peace Frog said:

Really? 

Here is the rule explanation. Just leave out the Tuesday part because this article was written a few years ago.

*Up until the first cut-down day, which was Tuesday, injured non-vested players must be placed on waivers through the waived/injured designation before being placed on injured reserve. This prevents teams from stashing young players on injured reserve. Once a waived/injured player clears waivers, he reverts to the team's IR.

*After the first cut-down day, teams can use the waived/injured designation or they can place a player directly on IR.

6 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

You forgot one:

"What's done is done.  We drafted him, not Chase Winovich.  Just because Winovich had 23 sacks over his first 2 seasons and Polite had 3.5, no reason to complain about it.  Macc is gone."

Polite only had 3.5 sacks with the Gators?  You might want to check your stats

3 minutes ago, RobR said:

Here is the rule explanation. Just leave out the Tuesday part because this article was written a few years ago.

*Up until the first cut-down day, which was Tuesday, injured non-vested players must be placed on waivers through the waived/injured designation before being placed on injured reserve. This prevents teams from stashing young players on injured reserve. Once a waived/injured player clears waivers, he reverts to the team's IR.

*After the first cut-down day, teams can use the waived/injured designation or they can place a player directly on IR.

As bad as folks here think he is, he’s not passing through waivers. 

Thanks. 

1 hour ago, JiF said:

The good news is, you still have a couple of more weeks to make the decision and it's not crazy to think a player who slowly made progress in practice will also slowly make progress on the playing field.  Polite took 3 years to develop in college, it's not a surprise he didnt dominate his 2nd preseason game.   Pass rusher is one of if not the toughest transition in the NFL, very few great pass rushers had incredible rookie seasons.  The only ones that do, typically go top 3 overall.  

I think he makes the 53 man roster.  He was a 3rd round pick and I'm sure the coaches want to see if they can tap into what he was at Florida.  While many here have written him off, I'm sure they're not that emotional.  Whether that's a conditioning, weight, technique issue, who knows but if they find it, he's the best pass rusher on the team.  Not saying much, but it's probably what keeps him on the 53 but deactivated until he shows something.

Wow, two weeks ago you were dunking on Polite haters after he beat someone named Eric Smith for a sack in practice and now you're back to saying, "hey, he has a few weeks to show a pulse, you guys." What a spineless #walkback from you.

7 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Wow, two weeks ago you were dunking on Polite haters after he beat someone named Eric Smith for a sack in practice and now you're back to saying, "hey, he has a few weeks to show a pulse, you guys." What a spineless #walkback from you.

Ummm, no. I’m saying the exact same thing I said 2 weeks ago.  

2 hours ago, 14 in Green said:

This isn’t what I’m talking about. ?

I don’t mean to single you out, but you’re  giving a very nice answer to a question nobody is asking. It’s obvious to everyone here he needs time and more coaching, lol.

ive already said I wouldn’t cut him, I want to keep him around. My question was and is, where do you put him? The active roster? The PS? Or a fugazy spot on the pup?

I don't know what you are trying to say.   If you agree the kid needs development and in your post you state he will get picked up on the PS,realty is he gets picked up before he even makes it through the system to the PS, and putting him on the PUP keeps him from practicing.  Which in turn keeps him from practicing with the team, so no real development for the kid there either. So that leaves one option and that is to be on the active roster.  So not to single you out but you did indicate you'd hate cutting him.  Never stated you wouldn't. If anything that was past of your narrative 

"You would hate to cut a 3rd round pick at the end of his first camp, but Polite has done nothing to prove he deserves a spot on the Opening Day roster." 

Your question was do we put him on the pup list with an "injury"?  Not whether he should be on the Active roster you already eliminated that and not to put him on the PS, you already eliminated that in your post as well even though you ended it with you would put him on the PS.  Even though you know another team will take him.

So again I stand by my original Statement.  RELAX.  It's halfway through his first camp.  Unless he completely implodes he should be on the Roster and developing.

3 hours ago, PepPep said:

What has he done for you to have a negative view of him? Seriously. Have you watched him play closely? He's done what he is supposed to do. I mean, look, he hasn't been able to get a sack yet but he's doing his best, he drew a hold, he's putting pressure on at times, he's following what the coach tells him, he's putting the effort in, he's looking good in training camp and practice. Sometimes in actual games it takes time to get sacks and put up stats. I watched him. the QB got rid of the ball quick. Polite was close but just could not get to Simms. He's been solid against the run. He actually ran down Simms on a scramble on the opposite side of the field. 

No reason to be concerned. Definitely no reason to cut him or 'hide' him or try to put him on PS. Just relax bub.    

It's early. They aren't going to cut the guy, he's either going to get buried on IR or be at the end of the roster . The whole idea was he was a raw pass rusher. So far, not so much. Depending on health at the DE/OLB/designated edge, slot doesn't -so far- look like he's going to dress on opening day. 

51 minutes ago, genot said:

Great article on Polite, post-combine. http://www.optimumscouting.com/news/jachai-polite

"He has not shown the ability to win with his athleticism or speed that he once did he in college." Sounds like what we might have in Polite. You can blow up SEC OL guys with sheer speed, without technique nor strength. That's not going to work when every tackle is 6'6", 300+, moves like a cat  and bench presses a Honda Accord. 

3 hours ago, 14 in Green said:

Actually you’re the one who sounds like a clown.

There isn’t a single thread where a few guys don’t go off on a tangent or take an extreme position. That doesn’t make them a “clown”. I always wonder if the people who use terms like that here do the same when dealing with people in real life, lol. Can’t imagine they do, it wouldn’t end very well.

The Watt comparison is sketchy at best, and I’m being kind when I give you that. I’m sure Watt showed a helluva lot more then Polite has through two preseason games, lol.

Speaking for myself, I never called Polite a bust, but voiced concern over him playing with 2nd and 3rd stringers in practice, and not looking very impressive on the field, and wondered what would be the best way to develop him.

I asked where he should be roster wise on opening day. People are giving their opinions. If you want to be the smartass calling them clowns, good for you.

He's a third round pick. Can we give him more than two preseason games before we all lose our collective minds? 

And how do you know that watt looked better after two preseason games with zero sacks and just two tackles? These guys are learning on the fly. Polite, if you watched, was often dropping back in coverage on passing downs. He's learning a defense and he still flashed on a couple of plays. 

• Upvote 1

22 minutes ago, Bugg said:

"He has not shown the ability to win with his athleticism or speed that he once did he in college." Sounds like what we might have in Polite. You can blow up SEC OL guys with sheer speed, without technique nor strength. That's not going to work when every tackle is 6'6", 300+, moves like a cat  and bench presses a Honda Accord. 

He's raw. So was Dee Ford. Took him two years to learn how to beat lineman in the NFL, and not get swallowed up. At Florida, he rarely played in a 3 point stance. he's learning. He was never going to be more than a situational pass rusher his rookie year. Williams is having him do things he's never done before, and it shows.

• Upvote 3

4 hours ago, 14 in Green said:

The Watt comparison is sketchy at best, and I’m being kind when I give you that. I’m sure Watt showed a helluva lot more then Polite has through two preseason games, lol.

I'm not sure what measure a "helluva alot more" is but JJ Watt had one tackle through his first 2 preseason games.

Polite already has 4 tackles.

And JJ Watt was the 11th pick of the draft.

1 hour ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

He's a third round pick. Can we give him more than two preseason games before we all lose our collective minds? 

And how do you know that watt looked better after two preseason games with zero sacks and just two tackles? These guys are learning on the fly. Polite, if you watched, was often dropping back in coverage on passing downs. He's learning a defense and he still flashed on a couple of plays. 

JJ Watt had one tackle--ONE tackle--through his first 2 preseason games.

Polite has 4.

Yeah, lets cut him. Why be patient with him because it's his fault we've sucked for decades.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, genot said:

He's raw. So was Dee Ford. Took him two years to learn how to beat lineman in the NFL, and not get swallowed up. At Florida, he rarely played in a 3 point stance. he's learning. He was never going to be more than a situational pass rusher his rookie year. Williams is having him do things he's never done before, and it shows.

Dee Ford had all of the athleticism in the world, Polite has mush for brains and mush for a body. 

• Thumb Down 1

2 minutes ago, Peace Frog said:

JJ Watt had one tackle--ONE tackle--through his first 2 preseason games.

Polite has 4.

Yeah, lets cut him. Why be patient with him because it's his fault we've sucked for decades.

Watt played against first team players. And at 40lbs heavier was faster and quicker that Polite.